« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > looking to buy first freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lloyd2199

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 Dynamic Auto Santorini Black
looking to buy first freelander 2

hi, i am currently looking at buying a 2007 freelander 2 hse with hst body kit. its bein advertised for 14999 with 100 tho on the clock. it has a full landrover service history and i think its a ex company car. i plan to take this car with me to germany so lots of long drives down the auto bahns. i will be keeping the car til it dies (wifes orders) so resale not a problem. does this sound a good price and is the engine going to be upto the job of giving me years of happy motoring. i am a army mechanic so have worked with landrover for few years now jus our defenders arnt as complicated as a freelander, but i know how to work on them quite well. whats been the main problems everyone has had? i have read about the gearbox problem but would hope that would already have been fixed.
any help would be greatly appricated Thumbs Up

Post #100252 29th Apr 2011 7:48 am
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Hi,for about £4000 more you can get one with a hell of lot less miles on if you wanted too. On the other hand I would of thought that any duff gear boxes etc would have been changed long before it reached that high millage.
I know some one who has a hse with nearly 90,000 miles on the clock and never had any problems. Diesel engines now adays if properly serviced will go for many many more miles than the first 100,000 if properly serviced.
However my main concern would be the timming belt, yes its a belt not a chain, check to see if it has been changed yet and if so how many miles ago.
the service interval is I think 120,000 miles but to me thats way to long for a rubber belt and rollers.
Its not cheap to replace unless you do it your self, you should be able to get some £££ knocked off. Discs and pads are very easy to change, ive done mine no problem and with you being in the know theres no problems there m8 Thumbs Up

Post #100261 29th Apr 2011 8:52 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

feels a bit steep to me.. I'm guessing its not an approved used LR given the high miles so I think you should be able to get it for less.

As for the mileage, I dont know of many FL2's that have hit this milestone yet so its kinda heading into unknown teratory... In my personal experience, 100k usually is the start of some big ticket items such as turbo, clutch, cam belts, injectors etc... Obviously this all dpends entirely on how it has been maintained and what it has been done so far - either way it is worth watching out for..

As for things to look out for, the steering was a bit suss on early models (neding new pups / resevoirs and racks!), diffs and haldex's have been known to go, rear high level brake lights can leak and obviously the dreaded gearbox. Also being an HSE it will have lots of electrickery bits that could go wrong so make sure everything works before you do anything.

Either way good luck in your purchase Thumbs Up and hope you get something you want! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100264 29th Apr 2011 9:48 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Captain Worm wrote:
feels a bit steep to me.. I'm guessing its not an approved used LR given the high miles so I think you should be able to get it for less.

As for the mileage, I dont know of many FL2's that have hit this milestone yet so its kinda heading into unknown teratory... In my personal experience, 100k usually is the start of some big ticket items such as turbo, clutch, cam belts, injectors etc... Obviously this all dpends entirely on how it has been maintained and what it has been done so far - either way it is worth watching out for..

As for things to look out for, the steering was a bit suss on early models (neding new pups / resevoirs and racks!), diffs and haldex's have been known to go, rear high level brake lights can leak and obviously the dreaded gearbox. Also being an HSE it will have lots of electrickery bits that could go wrong so make sure everything works before you do anything.

Either way good luck in your purchase Thumbs Up and hope you get something you want!

I take some of that back! Just had a quick look on the trader and there are a fair few FL2's over 100k miles all going for aroung the 15K mark... Shocked I can't believe that they are holding there price so well, even as we head into to spring!!!!

I did spot a couple of cars from private sellers though with less miles but roughly the same price, given that you can do the work yourslef and you will be taking it out of the country, is it worth buying private and save yourself the extra cost of a dealers warranty and the black tyre paint Wink Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #100267 29th Apr 2011 9:54 am
lloyd2199

hi, thanks for your quick replys. yer the milage thing is playing on my mind a bit, an yer i i do worry bout all the ancils coming to the end of there life. i will have to see what work it has had done so far see if comon items have been changed already. might jus have to give up body kit an top spec an find a lower milage one. cheers for your input and help

Post #100281 29th Apr 2011 12:58 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

100,000 miles for well serviced car is nothing. A friend of mine has a 2005 Vectra SRi which he bought new, and is not on 211,000 miles. He had a clutch and flywheel at 160,000 miles and the usual stuff like tyres, exhaust, brakes etc.

But it has been fully serviced when needed and it still drives well. It's getting tired on the interior trim in places now but that has to be expected.

I would not worry. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #100301 29th Apr 2011 5:50 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

Thats double the average milage. I would look for a lower milage one.

I would do a google search and even if you have to travel some distance to get what your after the effort is worth it.

the last 3 might be of interest

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ve...;ls.page=6
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ve...;ls.page=9
http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ve...ls.page=10

Just examples of what is out there for sale
Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #100303 29th Apr 2011 6:08 pm
ad210358

England 

Realspeed, how can you advise those three, Shocked I would not wish those on my worst enemy (CG Excluded) Whistle They are all the original Freelander, yes with low miles but that will be because they were so Censored unreliable they have spent most of their life in the workshop. If it was me I would take the high mileage Freelander 2 than any of those three.
But he could buy all three and he would stand a good chance on any given day on of them would be useable but then for that amont of money he would have enough for a newer Freelander 2. Thumbs Up

Post #100312 29th Apr 2011 8:44 pm
Biscay

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

I've just sold my freelander 1 and wouldnt slag it off. Nothing ever let me down, only ever replaced tyres once after 50 000 miles, pads and discs and one light bulb. I'd still have it now if my wife hadn't decided i deserved a newer one.

Post #100326 29th Apr 2011 11:09 pm
realspeed

United Kingdom 

At least I am showing that there other low milage freelanders on the market as in the first link.

Realspeed Ex 2010 Freelander2 GS-e Diesel manual Silver owner

Post #100327 29th Apr 2011 11:17 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You can never be sure what "low mileage" means. I had an early Fr1 on a lease. Gave it back at the end of three years with higher than average mileage. The leasing company (I think it was BMW in those days) parked it in a field for two years and then sold it as low mileage. I only know because the dealer who bought it came back to me because the lease company had lost all the paperwork and it turned out to be still registered in my name.

Post #100329 29th Apr 2011 11:23 pm
ad210358

England 

realspeed wrote:
At least I am showing that there other low milage freelanders on the market as in the first link.

Realspeed

No problem Realspeed, the the OP wanted Freelander 2 not the original Freelander and the two are chalk and cheese. as we all know:thumbsup:

Post #100334 29th Apr 2011 11:43 pm
lloyd2199

hi all, this is exactly what i was after. i am getting a good range of views off landrover owners. i agree that a well serviced modern diesel enginge will run for a long time as alot of our defenders have got stupid ammounts of milage on an as long as they have been looked after the only thing that goes is the cheap non landrover parts that the army buys. i have found one from a private seller for only 12550 which is alot better as its basically the same. same milage an a hse also jus no body kit so i think i good look an inspection of both is the way forward. i have asked both sellers what work has been done to see if the common problems with them have already been fixed. time to see how honest they are. i just wish didnt have to wait another week an half to get back to the uk to go have a look. i really badly want a freelander 2. one thing taht does bother me is the fact i am going germany so it is going to have lots of long drives doing prob around a ton down teh auto bahns and i jus wounder if teh enginge is going to be upto the job with 100m tho on it. but i suppose as long as the oil is good an hads been looked after by landrover then should be fine.

Post #100348 30th Apr 2011 8:25 am
Past master

United Kingdom 

Had no problem with my 4-year old on the Autobahn. It's very free-running and will happily cruise at 100. Having the sixth gear helps in this. Will cost you in diesel though!

Post #100377 30th Apr 2011 2:01 pm
lloyd2199

Past master wrote:
Had no problem with my 4-year old on the Autobahn. It's very free-running and will happily cruise at 100. Having the sixth gear helps in this. Will cost you in diesel though!

thats good to know then, coz its a long old treck to the ferry.

Post #100393 30th Apr 2011 5:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1