Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Newbie
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Hi all just joined this evening, thinking of buying a fl2 later this year, had a test drive last weekend in a new gs model, thought it was a nice smooth drive , but was a little surprised how flat off the bottom it was once going it was quite lively , is this common it had only done 500 miles so engine was quite tight , not sure which model to go for yet , was thinking a gs but I can spec a s up with lots of nice options for quite a bit less , here is what I thought about,
S model
Metallic paint
Sun roof
19 inch wheels
Rear spoiler
Privacy glass
Fog lights
Folding mirrors
Climate control
Up grade stereo
Auto lights , wipers
Now according to the brochures I would only miss out on cruise control, luggage cover blue tooth, rear head rest, and parking sensors, think that's it, if I was to go for a gs I would have to drop the paint and the sun roof I think due to budget, unless there are some deals out there having never delt with landrover not sure what discounts they run to, sorry for going on but would like to hear your opinions, going to have a look at another dealer on Monday, so we'll see

Post #100315 29th Apr 2011 10:00 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Play one dealer off against another in a bid to get the GS price down. It's the best model for balancing price against equipment. I could have got a used HSE for the price of my GS but I wanted new and there is more than enough toys on the GS. The Alpine audio system with subwoofer and Bluetooth is excellent. TR is now standard for MY11 cars so the 'S' is better value than it used to be. I opted for the cold climate pack which brings heated windscreen and washer jets, worth every penny. Just had it's first service and after 12 months of ownership I am very happy. Laughs at heavy snow and immense off road. I did an LR day and took mine off road. As for acceleration, mine is fine from low down but for 2011 they decreased BHP in favour of more torque. This may effect lower down but the 2011 engine has plenty of pull higher up having driven one the other day. You won't be disappointed, simply a cut above the competition. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #100316 29th Apr 2011 10:12 pm
Hicksy

Thanks for your reply, yea will get prices from 4 to 5 dealers, always done this in the past, quite enjoy the bartering bit

Post #100317 29th Apr 2011 10:21 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Hicksy wrote:
Thanks for your reply, yea will get prices from 4 to 5 dealers, always done this in the past, quite enjoy the bartering bit

The site sponsors Lookers Park Royal are very well thought of by their customers and I know of one member who recently purchased from them and came all the way from Glasgow to receive outstanding service. I purchased from Stratstone Nottingham and I am very happy. Particularly with the service department as you will see from my post in the dealer feedback section.

Here are the pics from my off road excursion: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic8812.html

500 posts Milestone Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100320 29th Apr 2011 10:34 pm
ad210358

England 

Like The Doctor has said you should give LPR a call and they are only 45 minutes away.
With regard to your spec, the resale value on trade in time it will still be classed as an "S" model and you won't get any or much return on your extras,
IMHO I would go for a better model and less extras, you will see a better return in a few years time. Thumbs Up

Post #100323 29th Apr 2011 10:45 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

When you say "flat off the bottom" do you mean no accel at low revs? If so, remember it's a very heavy car with a very effective turbo, so acceleration really only cuts in at about 2000 rpm, once the turbo is whizzing. There have been a couple of posts on here suggesting that the auto box in the latest models doesn't deal with this too well. Basically, if you want acceleration, you need to drive it like a petrol car, not a traditional diesel (something that applies to all Ford diesels in my experience).

As an ex-Discovery owner, I wouldn't specify a Land Rover with a sun roof, but maybe the new ones don't leak???

Post #100325 29th Apr 2011 11:03 pm
ad210358

England 

I know you are running to a budget but be advised what ever model you choose their will be no spare wheel unless you add it to your options. worth considering though Thumbs Up

Post #100336 29th Apr 2011 11:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

agreed , unless you are keeping the car long term buy the spec not the options, come trade in time the dealer will use glass's guide for an S then add a small amount on for your expensive extras.

If your dead set on extras and dont mind paying then go ahead, but keep it long enough to make the expense worthwhile At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #100338 30th Apr 2011 12:09 am
Hicksy

Past master wrote:
When you say "flat off the bottom" do you mean no accel at low revs? If so, remember it's a very heavy car with a very effective turbo, so acceleration really only cuts in at about 2000 rpm, once the turbo is whizzing. There have been a couple of posts on here suggesting that the auto box in the latest models doesn't deal with this too well. Basically, if you want acceleration, you need to drive it like a petrol car, not a traditional diesel (something that applies to all Ford diesels in my experience).

As an ex-Discovery owner, I wouldn't specify a Land Rover with a sun roof, but maybe the new ones don't leak???

Hi that's what I meant did not seem to have anything there at all low down but soon as you hit 2000 rpm it pulled well, thinking about it I did notice the sales guy did give it some stick straight off from the start,

Post #100342 30th Apr 2011 7:30 am
Hicksy

Thanks all, some things there to consider, I got the impression from the sales guy that I might consider not to have an s model, thinking of keeping it 2-3years which is a long time for me, was thinking of a ford kuga titanium really like the looks of that and is very to nice drive too, but landrover finace makes it easier for me to purchase a new car gonna have a look at stratstones of Aylesbury today or Monday .

Post #100343 30th Apr 2011 7:47 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Am I right in thinking that the new 'S' models already have the Terrain Control knob fitted? 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #100344 30th Apr 2011 8:17 am
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I too went for a GS model after pricing up an S model with loads of extra's ! The points above are very valid and you will not see a return on an S model. L/R much better car than Kuga as the Kuga was my other option.
Out of interest the Auto is very quick of the mark and in fact when I have had a manual loan car its always seems a lot slower than the auto. In fact the 0-60 time for the auto is quicker than the manual !

Heated screen i s a brilliant option and crusie control. Parking sensors are also a good added extra evn though they are a pain when the cars just been washed, although I now use silicon gel around the bumpers and that keeps the water out the sensors.
Luggage cover a must !

Post #100355 30th Apr 2011 10:03 am
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Basically buy a high spec xs or SE Or HSE

Post #100359 30th Apr 2011 10:45 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
Basically buy a high spec xs or SE Or HSE

SE is not made anymore. Only buy XS etc if you really need the kit. I would not change the GS as it has everything I want. As oldgeezer states the auto is quicker off the mark because of no clutch control. Depends what you want. If you are into autos then go for it. When I had my FL1 I tried the auto FL2 and thought it was fine until I drove the manual FL2 and there was no hesitation in buying the manual, very nice and I prefer to change gears myself. It's £1500 less to buy, cheaper to tax and more economical.

It depends on your preference. If you do lots of towing, life will be easier with the auto. Drive both and decide. Auto owners on here claim it is far superior. I can't stand it and I think the manual is far superior. Really though, we don't matter. Just try both and in either case you will end up with a car that's better than all the rivals. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100370 30th Apr 2011 12:16 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Heated seats are a must tho! And heated front screen, I would never be without either now! Also cloth seats are sooo old sckol 80's!

Post #100379 30th Apr 2011 3:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>