« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > eD4 Test Drive - Courtesy Car
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
The Doctor

United Kingdom 
eD4 Test Drive - Courtesy Car

Mine went in for its first service today and they gave me an 11 plate eD4 in white, the 'S' model.

First impressions climbing on board were that it was rather lacking in equipment. If you come from a HSE like npinks and co, you expect to notice such a vast difference but even coming from my GS I was quite surprised.
No buttons on the wheel at all so no cruise, no stereo remotes and no bluetooth and of course no TR dial. The stereo was very basic coming from the Alpine system in mine with subwoofer. Obviously being an 'S' and a courtesy car you dont expect optional extras fitted but to say somone can actually pay £21,995 (according to What Car?) I thought it was too bare and not enough kit for the price - especially bearing in mind its 2WD.

So, whats it like to drive? Well I have to agree with the critics who stated that although it is nice enough to drive, the lack of 4WD means that it is not quite so sure footed and you can feel the difference when its putting the power down. I must say that it was slightly faster though. Although this may well be due in part to the decrease in BHP for MY11 but an increase in torque, I suspect it was mostly due to weight. A 2WD car will always weigh less than 4WD and that I think was the key to it feeling just a little bit livelier off the mark.

Overall not a bad car but I still can't see the point. LR say most will go to fleet customers because the savings aren't enough for private customers to ditch the advantages and capabilities of 4WD.

Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #100195 28th Apr 2011 7:24 pm
charliefoxtrot999

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Would have driven better if fitted with the auto box Rolling with laughter 2010 HSE Galway Green auto GONE

Post #100203 28th Apr 2011 8:22 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

charliefoxtrot999 wrote:
Would have driven better if fitted with the auto box Rolling with laughter

Laughing I was hiding behind the sofa terrified they were going to lend me an auto again. Thankfully it was a manual even though it was the eD4 Off Topic Off Topic

Any actual thoughts on the eD4 folks? LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100204 28th Apr 2011 8:27 pm
MudBug

Ireland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

No personal experience but this lot seem to rate it highly...

Land Rover Freelander 2 eD4 2011 review

Post #100208 28th Apr 2011 9:04 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I am very surprised that you never DEMANDED a 4wd as your coutesy car !! I thought that the days of people being fobbed off with inferior coutesy cars were over !! i sugest that next time, as a form of compensation, you DEMAND to be ugraded to an automatic for your courtesty car !! That way they will know that you mean business any never fob you off with an inferior car again !! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #100217 28th Apr 2011 9:53 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Pedro wrote:
I am very surprised that you never DEMANDED a 4wd as your coutesy car !! I thought that the days of people being fobbed off with inferior coutesy cars were over !! i sugest that next time, as a form of compensation, you DEMAND to be ugraded to an automatic for your courtesty car !! That way they will know that you mean business any never fob you off with an inferior car again !! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

As long as it gets me the 16 miles to work. Interesting to test the eD4 though. I managed to avoid DOWNGRADING to an auto Laughing but as per the post from MudBug, they seem to rate the 2WD very highly including off road. Even 2WD FL2 knocks seven shades of sh Censored out of 4WD Beemers etc when off road Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100219 28th Apr 2011 10:00 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Last time I complained about a courtesy car I ended up with a TDV8 range rover top spec for 3 weeks! And boy I drove it like I stole it!

Post #100233 28th Apr 2011 11:29 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Re: eD4 Test Drive - Courtesy Car

The Doctor wrote:

Overall not a bad car but I still can't see the point. LR say most will go to fleet customers because the savings aren't enough for private customers to ditch the advantages and capabilities of 4WD. Thumbs Up

For a lot of existing Land Rover users, there is no point. However, Land Rover can not survive without attracting new customers and lower CO2 and higher MPG are absolutely vital for business purchases. Land Rover ignores this at its peril.

I went in to look at the 2WD FL2 and was met with the bonkers reply from the salesman "What do you want one of those for?!" Fortunately for him, I contract hired a 4WD, but I probably would never have gone in there if it hadn't been for the 2WD.

Interestingly, my local dealer now has their 2WD Freelander on the forecourt with a £2,000 price reduction splashed across the screen. Have others been going to see the 2WD, only to order the 4WD?

Post #100259 29th Apr 2011 8:47 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

landy19840 wrote:
Last time I complained about a courtesy car I ended up with a TDV8 range rover top spec for 3 weeks! And boy I drove it like I stole it!

It seems a bit of a shame to do that to the dealer's car after they've been so generous to you....

Post #100260 29th Apr 2011 8:48 am
landy19840

Dealers are never generous tho! And it's standard issue in a hire/ borrowed car to drive it like you stole it!

Post #100262 29th Apr 2011 9:38 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I guess that explains why dealer's insurance companies are now asking for excesses as high as £2,000, or for us to pay for collision damage waivers. What goes around, comes around.

Post #100265 29th Apr 2011 9:48 am
landy19840

Don't take it to a dealer then!! And don't crash!

Post #100274 29th Apr 2011 11:24 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The Doctor wrote:

First impressions climbing on board were that it was rather lacking in equipment. If you come from a HSE like npinks and co, you expect to notice such a vast difference but even coming from my GS I was quite surprised.
No buttons on the wheel at all so no cruise, no stereo remotes and no bluetooth and of course no TR dial. The stereo was very basic coming from the Alpine system in mine with subwoofer. Obviously being an 'S' and a courtesy car you dont expect optional extras fitted but to say somone can actually pay £21,995 (according to What Car?) I thought it was too bare and not enough kit for the price - especially bearing in mind its 2WD.

Playing devil's advocate here, the S model does save £3,000 over the GS model, without even taking into account the additional £750 saved by going to 2WD. I suppose that a £3,000 saving has to found from somewhere and there are a still a lot of widgets left including (now) terrain response.

Post #100288 29th Apr 2011 2:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Tigger wrote:
The Doctor wrote:

Playing devil's advocate here, the S model does save £3,000 over the GS model, without even taking into account the additional £750 saved by going to 2WD. I suppose that a £3,000 saving has to found from somewhere and there are a still a lot of widgets left including (now) terrain response.

Yes but if I was paying £21,995 for a car then the level of kit is disappointing. As you rightly say there is a price difference that has to be found somewhere but I would personally rather hunt for an ex-demo GS to knock the price down.

The TR is indeed standard now for MY11 but not for the eD4 for obvious reasons. I am well pleased that the 2WD performs well off road though because if we boast about the capabilities of the FL2, BMW X3 owners etc would just say their cars weren't designed for tough off roading despite the 4WD (so they have an excuse for poor off road performance). LR make a 2WD FL2 and its still better than Beemers etc off road so their excuses fail. The reason I can't take to it is the minor savings don't compensate for the sure footed feel of 4WD and the unstoppable snow performance which the critics say will be a weak point for the eD4. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #100290 29th Apr 2011 2:47 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

I hear what you're saying there and think we can pretty much agree.

However, what I would say is that all manufacturers tend to have an entry level model to entice you into the showroom (the Germans are past masters at that one!). When you're there, you'll then see the sense in spending that bit more to get the model that you really want (i.e the GS). Alternatively, if you had you're heart set on a new car, a £22,755 4WD S would make a lot more sense than spending the thick end of £20,000 for a pretend 4WD from, say, Nissan...

Post #100296 29th Apr 2011 4:13 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>