Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Engine Remap or Tuning Box?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue
Engine Remap or Tuning Box?

Has any member any experience of either remapping the ECU on the TD4 Auto or adding one of the 'tuning boxes' that are available?

I am particularly interested in the possible extra fuel economy said to be a result of these mods.

Thanks, Reg. 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #115901 6th Oct 2011 2:12 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Hello Reg,

Welcome aboard. Your new FL2 sounds very nice.

So, you are not satisfied with the consumption improvement from i6 to TD4. There have been a few discussions about tuning boxes and remapping. Watch out for potential warranty breeches and you need to inform your insurance company about the modification, the increase in premium may outweigh the cost of the unit and the fuel saving.

Do doubt fellow members will be along shortly. - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #115902 6th Oct 2011 2:21 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

freedieselauto wrote:
Hello Reg,

Welcome aboard. Your new FL2 sounds very nice.

So, you are not satisfied with the consumption improvement from i6 to TD4. There have been a few discussions about tuning boxes and remapping. Watch out for potential warranty breeches and you need to inform your insurance company about the modification, the increase in premium may outweigh the cost of the unit and the fuel saving.

Do doubt fellow members will be along shortly.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am very pleased with the fuel consumption on the TD4 compared to the i6 but was wondering whether a remap etc would improve it further. I take on board your comments and look forward to hearing from any other members who have gone down this route. By the way, I managed just under 40mpg the other day on a trip from Nottingham to Durham and back which I was happy with.

Reg 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #115903 6th Oct 2011 3:21 pm
freedieselauto

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Rimini Red

Reg,

You may wish to do a search for "remap" and separately "tuning AND box" which produces some posts whcih may help.

40 mpg sounds good. I managed 43.5 on 320 mile trip - it was incredibly boring! - 2007(57) XS Auto, Rimini Red, Alpaca Leather.
- GCS Hawke - Sports, BRG, Vulcan 2.1 inj'. My toy - built it myself in 2001.

Post #115904 6th Oct 2011 3:39 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have had my FL2 for coming up to 4 1/2 years now, and it has been re-mapped by Superchips for well over three years.

Regarding MPG, yes you will see an improvement 'if' you take you time in it. Drive it hard and it will use more fuel than when it is standard.

So driven normally you will see an improvement by maybe 2-3mpg. But they do drive alot better when re-mapped. They drive without as much effort so you can make good progess without hammering it.

I am not one to thrash cars anyway, my car is on 46000 miles and the rear tyres are still the original's and I changed the brakes at 40,000 miles.

A decent re-map will always be better than a plug in tuning box, but it is rare that you hear of issues with tuning box's.

So far I have not had one negative effect by having a re-map. Regarding insurance and warranty, a re-map will not totally void your warranty, it will only effect your warranty if you have a failure that is a direct result of the re-map being installed.

I checked this with Land Rover. So if you have an air bag light come on, or another sensor fail, there is no way this can be caused by a re-map so your warranty will be fine.

Blow the engine, and you have to expect the warranty claim to be questioned and possibly turned down.

My insurance charged me £35 for the re-map, I gave the reason of having it being down to towing and needed the extra torque for safe towing. Sounds crap I know but thats how they accepted it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #116354 10th Oct 2011 12:10 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

Remap is the best way, remap does what it says it remaps the ECU. Most dealers will offer a free remap should original be lost during a service engine management update when visitind a dealer.

Tuning boxes work by altering signal from ECU in effect telling the components relying on the signals lies.

Remap is almost impossible to detect without major computer investigation. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #116374 10th Oct 2011 2:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1