Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > why dont manufactures reduced engine output to reduce.....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
why dont manufactures reduced engine output to reduce.....

according to vehicle tax rulings once the VED is set if the vehicle is tuned afterwards there is no requirement to change the VED
So why dont manufactures reduce engine out put and emissions on all their vehicles to reduce the tax band and then once sold the owner can by a tune download ?
Mitsibishi used to do it and Rover with their 75 2.0Cdti where a download would boost it from 115bhp to 130 bhp.

Post #109814 10th Aug 2011 11:25 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I guess the power that be would soon catch on if all manufacturers did that and simply lower the thresholds At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #109822 10th Aug 2011 12:19 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

It's all down to type approval and insurance groupings. But you could argue that they are doing this now.

Take the Insignia 2.0 Turbo as an example. I know that Vauxhall/Opel could offer this engine as it is at 260bhp, but offer it at 220bhp. So in effect you could do what you are suggesting.

But when you look at the modern engine set up, emmisions are not always lower with the less powerfull engine.

The Insignia 2.0 CDTi Ecoflex 160BHP is in fact 2g/km less that the 2.0 CDTi 130 Ecoflex. The reason being is that the 160bhp version is not running as hard as the 130bhp version at any given point. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #109840 10th Aug 2011 2:26 pm
Downsized

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Galway Green

I could see a couple of reasons why this may not be a good plan at least for the buyer.
1. As soon as you do the tune you should tell your insurance company which will of course immediately up your premiums for having a non-standard motor. Probably wiping any saving on the emissions sevveral times over.
2. If it was a non-LR upgrade, then LR might try and wriggle out of any warranty on engine failures due to the "upgrade" being in place.

Post #109841 10th Aug 2011 2:28 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Downsized wrote:
I could see a couple of reasons why this may not be a good plan at least for the buyer.
1. As soon as you do the tune you should tell your insurance company which will of course immediately up your premiums for having a non-standard motor. Probably wiping any saving on the emissions sevveral times over.
2. If it was a non-LR upgrade, then LR might try and wriggle out of any warranty on engine failures due to the "upgrade" being in place.

Exactly right. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #109973 11th Aug 2011 5:25 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

The Rover 75 that oldgeezer refers to; the 115bhp output was forced upon rover by the engine supplier BMW in order to keep their own brand ahead of the pack. If Rover had their way, it would have been 130 from day one and later 150 to help sales.
Having said all that, R75 was a fine car and very reliable, at least the CDti was. Mine did 130k trouble free miles before i sold it and it's still going strong now after 180k.

More than i can say about my FL2 which appears to be 'fragile' in comparison shall i say. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #110027 11th Aug 2011 11:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1