« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > knocking noise at front nearside
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
jobbo

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 Sport Auto Lago Grey
knocking noise at front nearside

I have a 2010 FL2 sport which developed a knocking noise but only at speeds below about 10mph but it didnt happen all the time. I was back and forth to LR and took out a technician who also witnessed the noise, but it never seemed to then occur when they had it on the ramps etc. I then noticed that it only seemed to occur after driving round for a while. LR changed the wheel hub but it still knocked. In the end they stripped the wheel/brakes down,found nothing but after putting it all back together, the knocking noise stopped. My theory is (because LR do not have one) that it was something to do with the brakes and when they warmed up, something expanded and caused the noise. This would perhaps explain why the noise was intermittent and only after driving around for s while. I would welcome any thoughts on this and at the same time hope it helps anyone else,
Cheers

Post #95867 21st Mar 2011 12:08 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I had a similar issue. Just a single knock would occur when pulling away and also when braking. Having taken advice on here I took it to LR dealer explaining how others had complained about a similar issue that involved a loose panel in the B pillar if memory serves me well. LR said it was a problem they were aware of and duly modified the part under warranty. No problems since touch wood. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #95868 21st Mar 2011 12:13 am
djwhyte

Australia 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Tambora Flame

Could it be the same as reported here http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic5866.html 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #95874 21st Mar 2011 4:01 am
jobbo

Thanks for the replies.Much appreciated. I spoke too soon as the noise came back today! It does seem very much like the 5866 topic below. I managed to get a LR technician to come out in the car this aftrenoon where I eventually managed to replicate the noise after driving around for a while. He has ordered a driveshaft which is due to be fitted next Tuesday but I will call them and suggest that it may be the brakes as it seems that from reading the thread below - it could be the issue. Again doesnt happen all the time, just after driving around for a while.

Post #95962 21st Mar 2011 8:24 pm
GSMY11

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Lago Grey

Like the Doctor, my MY11 has suffered from the knocking at the bottom of the A pillar. dealer did not know what to do, so i wrote to LR who sent a technician to inspect it. He did the same fix and it seems good now. All under warranty , of course. i was disappointed by dealer's apparent lack of knowledge of the issue! I think they expected me just to go away.

Post #95971 21st Mar 2011 9:01 pm
djwhyte

jobbo wrote:
He has ordered a driveshaft which is due to be fitted next Tuesday but I will call them and suggest that it may be the brakes as it seems that from reading the thread below - it could be the issue. Again doesnt happen all the time, just after driving around for a while.

Next time you drive the car, try ducking in an undercover (multi-storey) car park and see if you can hear the noise then. I find it is amplified when driving in an under-cover car park.

Also, if LR come back and say it is something other than the brakes, or swap the brake pads to remove the noise successfully or similar, let us know. I would be upset if your LR dealer pin-points it to the drive-shaft after mine said it was brake pads, since it have only just dropped out of warranty and was reported by the previous owner while it was in warranty. 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #95998 22nd Mar 2011 12:21 am
jobbo

Sure I'll let you know how I get on.

Post #96621 27th Mar 2011 12:20 pm
jobbo

The driveshaft was replaced but when the technician took it for a test drive, he heard the noise again. It is now booked in at the end of April for a new steering rack. Thank god its under warranty ! This must be an expensive job as the local dealer has to get special sign off from head office to carry out the steering rack repair. Takes the shine off of getting a new car really.

Post #97181 31st Mar 2011 7:22 pm
djwhyte

Hi Jobbo,

Glad it is being attended to. Did you mention the brake pads problem to your dealer? It may be better to try replacing them before you get a whole new steering rack!

Cheers,
Whytey 1st time FL2 owner. 2007 SE i6 in Tambora Flame.

Post #97372 2nd Apr 2011 12:58 am
mole

United Kingdom 

My "knock" was identified as a front suspension mount. No trouble since it was replaced. mole

Post #97391 2nd Apr 2011 1:05 pm
jobbo

Ok Land Rover did not fit the steering rack - they had a change of tact. They eventually managed to recreate the noise at will (90-95% of the time). They diagnosed it as a drivers side drive shaft, albeit that the noise was coming from the passender side. This has been replaced today, so we will wait and see if it comes back but I would hope not seeing as they managed to recreate the issue and presumably re-tested under the same conditions once the new one was fitted.

Post #101497 10th May 2011 6:39 pm
jobbo

Well it looks as though the culprit was indeed the driveshaft as have not heard any more of the knocking noise. LR head office did ask my local dealer to send them the faulty part so presume they are not aware of this potential problem.
Its only taken 6 months ! but to be fair their attitude has been first class and they have always been eager to progress.

Post #103146 24th May 2011 10:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1