Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Whispering Noise on start up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kezman50

England 
Whispering Noise on start up.

No......it's not the missus whispering sweet nothings in the ear unfortunately.

My motor is in the local dealers on Tuesday (Marshalls, Melton Mowbray) instigated from a mailshot offering a FOC 24 point check and Software upgrade if required. Anyone else had this/know what they check? I know it's a money grabber....."by the way while it was in we noticed that...." but hey, I can always say thanks but no thanks.

I was going to raise the seat belt mod to which already as someone else has mentioned, service has no knowledge off (will take in part no. and service bulletin codes to point them in the right direction). Also, for a while now, and it's never really manifested itself into anything more, I've had what can best be described as a whispering noise under the bonnet at start up. It seems to have a slight cycle to it and therefore wondering if it's belt driven and therefore water pump, but hey what do I know. It soon goes after 5-6 mins of the journey.

Does anyone recognise the symptom? Did a search for water pump....nothing really found.

As a side note. A day or two after booking my FL2 in with Marshalls, I got some correspondence from them to which I thought "oh, their confirming the booking.....a bit unnecessary I thought ". When I opened it, it turned out to be a booking for an MOT inspection for the 12th Dec because according to their records it will be due for it's first MOT on or before 20th Dec. Which it will be. Now I personally thought this was frankly "out of order" making a booking to carry out work to which I'll be charged without any instigation or sanction from me" I personally think this is presumptuousness and desperate and I'll shall cancel at the end of the days play this Tuesday!! Any opinions on that?

Post #81255 20th Nov 2010 9:00 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

just the dealer being proactive in looking for work...........nothing wrong with that and a great number of people appreciate these type of "reminders "

but some people like yourself think they are jumping the gun a bit........again nothing wrong with that.

Iain

Post #81258 20th Nov 2010 9:54 am
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I get some noises from startup when cold - the most significant one is from the A/C pump which is a bit of a worry but it still seems to keep the car cold... at least for now.

My last car did a similar thing, that was a dry bearing on the alternator and a gain it always disappeared when warm. Nothing to worry about I dont think just one of those annoying things.

A spray of wd40 (not the best but the only way of getting it into the bearing without dismantling) used to get rid of the noise Thumbs Up for a short while, but it would always come back again. Crying or Very sad Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #81274 20th Nov 2010 12:12 pm
kezman50

England 

No, I don't think I'll worry to much because it does fade off like I said with-in 5 mins or so. I may just mention it though.

I'm all for pro-active Ian but I think most would agree that when a dealer takes it upon themselves to book you in for something that's never been spoke about/instigated. Then that in my opinion crosses a line and is just plain cheeky. Now I had a REMINDER from Guy Salmon, the dealer I got the vehicle off and it was just that a reminder, with a "if you would like us to carry out the work please do not hesitate to contact us" Just how it should be.

Post #81319 20th Nov 2010 7:02 pm
Speedway

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Baltic Blue

kezman50 wrote:
No, I don't think I'll worry to much because it does fade off like I said with-in 5 mins or so. I may just mention it though.

I'm all for pro-active Ian but I think most would agree that when a dealer takes it upon themselves to book you in for something that's never been spoke about/instigated. Then that in my opinion crosses a line and is just plain cheeky. Now I had a REMINDER from Guy Salmon, the dealer I got the vehicle off and it was just that a reminder, with a "if you would like us to carry out the work please do not hesitate to contact us" Just how it should be.
Thumbs Up . Gone, 2007 TD4 SE Auto Baltic blue, clear side repeaters, full sized alloy spare.

English by birth..... Yorkshire by the grace of God.

Post #81400 21st Nov 2010 5:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1