« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Clutch smell on a steep hill
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
bbosko

Macedonia 
Clutch smell on a steep hill

I am new to Freelandfer and offroad driving. This satarday afternoon I decided to try my new freel2 on a close hill near my house. I was suprised how soft the suspension is on a bumps and offroad in general. After going on a grassy field almost flat I came to a small decent about 10 meteres very steep and I went down with no problem. But when I wanted to come back on the same place I was in the first gear (manual) and I was going slowy and when I had started the ascent the engine lost power and stalled. Thea I started the engine and tried to pull away from standing point.
I did it without any problem but whe I was up I smelled burned clutch smell.
My question is how to cope with these situations or is it normal sometimes to burn a little bit of clutch. And how in this situation the HDC would help.
Thank you for your help. Freelander 2 E TD4 Manual

Post #38866 15th Mar 2009 10:15 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

you will always find a manual burn its clutch in certain situations, but not all

If the hill was steep and you stall on it, it would have been best to select reverse without restarting the engine, back down the hill and try it will a little more momentum.

The HDC would have helped you out upon stalling, as it would have slowed the descent back down the hill with reverse gear selected, and you would have had engine breaking and the HDC in full swing keeping the descent slow and then once down you could have restarted the car in safety. (Well that was what i was shown Thumbs Up )

Just remember HDC you take your foot off the break completely and let it do its thing, (by pressing the brake the HDC is paused), if going down the hill, slow to a virtual stop, or stop completely to load the brakes and slow momentum. Press the Cruise control '+' or '-' button to set the speed you want to go down, Best to '-' the button a few times to set the car into the slowest HDC speed. then foot of the brake and you'll have a nice Conrolled descent.

Hope that helps Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #38869 15th Mar 2009 10:47 pm
bbosko

Macedonia 
Thank you

Thak you very much for your answer.

I got little bit afraid after I've smelled that burned clutch that I seriosly damaged my new car only 1600mi. Sad I was discouraged to continue offroading and I went back

Here there is now land rover experience facility so I sould not learn the basics.
Anyway it seems that manual is not the best option for offroad but the car is great.

I have tried HDC on a hill but I could not find that you just let of the clutch, it is stalling, but on a descent it works fine. I am not sure how do you use on a ascent

Thanks Freelander 2 E TD4 Manual

Post #38870 15th Mar 2009 10:59 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

firstly welcome to the forum Thumbs Up ( I should have said that in the first post Embarassed )

on very rough or uneven tracks you use the clutch to move the car forward, setting the gas, and find the biting point on the clutch then a series of dipping the clutch to bring the car along the terrain. If you have the gas too high you could start it smelling

With the HDC, on this hill i would have selected 1st gear, TR to Mud & Ruts, HDC on took the car to it was just a little bit further over the hill, Stopped to load the brakes, then slowly brought the clutch up to biting point to give the car a little push over the hill then brought the clutch up once moving, letting the HDC slow the decent

Click image to enlarge

The FL2 does have a anti stall feature too, try driving as slow as possible, take your foot off both the gas and clutch, (the car will go to its slowest speed) and it will keep going forward at a slow pace, even if there is a hill in front of you (obviously not a steep slope though)

See if there are any 4x4 members clubs in your part of the world, and see if anybody could take you out and give you some advice Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #38872 15th Mar 2009 11:22 pm
bbosko

Macedonia 

Yes, the gas was high and I was a bt afraid and I was questioning the ability of my freel2 because it does not have terrain response. I should be aware that at least is a land rover and it is made for a bit of offroading. I should have aproached the hill with a little bit more speed to use the momentum. I must admit it was not a hill but a bump of 10 meters long.
When I was deciding to buy it I thought the difference with the terrain responce is too high and I would drive it 90 percent on motorways. i have it for two months and since then I am thinking that my freel2 is not for offroad and I am afraid going and driivng offroad. Maybe I have to relax a little bit Confused

Any way this comunication encourage me too go offroad again and try it more relaxed and confident in the car capabilities. Freelander 2 E TD4 Manual

Post #38873 15th Mar 2009 11:44 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

just don't go too far off the beaten track if your on your own

Safety first Thumbs Up

I'm sure more people will give you their advice on driving off road, keep checking in we are always here to help, even with the simplest of things Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #38874 15th Mar 2009 11:58 pm
bbosko

Macedonia 

Thanks! You were very helpful

Best regards Thumbs Up Freelander 2 E TD4 Manual

Post #38875 16th Mar 2009 12:08 am
dick

England 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Baltic Blue

I've been told by an LRE instructor (unfortunately not the expensive certificated course, just the 'intro' drive) that the FL2 should be kept at approx. 1500 RPM so the computer knows you're trying to go forward and drives the traction control accordingly. And that slipping the clutch should be kept to an absolute minimum.

- Dick

Post #38906 16th Mar 2009 4:06 pm
bbosko

Macedonia 

It makes sense. Thumbs Up
If you slip the clutch all the time propably it would last few thousand miles. Freelander 2 E TD4 Manual

Post #38969 17th Mar 2009 2:56 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

So far I have driven only 1 t km with my Freely (manual). The sole headache I am having with this car is smell appearing every time when trying to get over a minor obstacle on the road - ice or snow heap or street border. I try to play with gas and clutch to find the right clutch biting point and avoid high revs. Despite this engine stalls frequently when doing this and smell sets in. Only winding TR to mud / sand lets the car move where I want to. I am not speaking of real off-road, but normal road conditions in the winter. I am wondering, is this clutch or haldex? I am a bit confused because I expected from a LR to be more capable in this regard. Could it be that the clutch is too new and some wear and tear occurs before it settles? Thanks for any comment! Wink

Post #62150 3rd Mar 2010 10:25 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As stated before, the clutch should not be slipping, under pretty much any circumstances, unless you are doing extremely accurate, slow maneuvers.

However, the last time I went off roading in a manual it had low range, which obviously makes a huge difference. When going up a hill you don't slip the clutch at all, but you have to have some speed when goin up an incline (6-7mph with no Low range probably, to keep the engine in its torque band) Any slower and it will drop out of the torque and stall, or you'll have to slip the clutch, which is also a huge no no.

Check out the video...just shows some of the inclines they can do. I know they're probably both automatics and the techniques isn't necessarilty strictly to what everyone advises, but it's still an eye opener!

Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #62158 3rd Mar 2010 10:55 pm
athelstan

bbosko
Idea Very important: Idea
1: Read your "Owners Manual" carefully and fully before driving off road. You say your car is brand new so it does have an "Owners Manual".

2: Also go online at LR: www.ownerinfo.landrover.com - then select the links for vehicle = "FL2", and then "Driving Off Road".

Never drive off road without fully understanding how your LR functions in such circumstances and how you are supposed to drive it along difficult terrain. Failure to take these elementary precautionary measures can result in destructive damage to your FL2, and, seriously or even fatally inflict injury to yourself and passengers. Exclamation

Have Fun - Drive Intelligently Very Happy

Post #62180 4th Mar 2010 8:31 am
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Instead of giving a lot of useful advice like do not litter or be careful while driving off-road, I would have preferred that they had spared their efforts for fitting on Freelander a decent clutch capable of handling torque of 400 Nm Razz

Post #62193 4th Mar 2010 10:00 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

I too have smelt my clutch when reversing up a steep slope.

initially the car stalled, after which I know I gave it a bit to much welly as I was in a tight spot and could not afford to roll forward at all.

this is the only time I have smelt this and in retrospect would put it down to driver error.

Iain

ps it's the first time in 40 years of driving that I have smelt a clutch, so I too was a bit taken aback !!

Post #62293 4th Mar 2010 6:19 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I smelt my clutch once after trying to pull a tree stump out of the ground......needless to say that the FL2 wasn't up to it and the said tree stump won Big Cry ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #62341 4th Mar 2010 9:22 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>