Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Replacement door costs - how much?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
rlgillyon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Replacement door costs - how much?

Anybody have a vague idea what a replacement door will cost for my FL2 - my neighbour reversed into it yesterday & i want to give them a clue how much pain it will be before deciding to do it via insurance...? Ouch!!

Post #58514 7th Feb 2010 6:17 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Had my rear passenger door replaced last year after some git put a dent in it in a carpark.
Think the total bill was just under £1300, and that wasn't using a new door skin, it was a complete new door with all the trim & fittings, nothing used from the old door. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #58516 7th Feb 2010 7:16 pm
Rowy

Insuarnce must be the only way-second hand door on ebay £240 plus painting and fitting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FREELANDER-2-N-S-REA...5ad386a6f2

If I was paying I'd look at this route....But surely you want it done prperly with a new door, neighbour or not?

Post #58525 7th Feb 2010 9:02 pm
FR2471

England 2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Sumatra Black

Maybe after a full insurance job their driving standards may improve so it's a win win lol Thumbs Up

Post #58526 7th Feb 2010 9:07 pm
rlgillyon

Thanks for the replies - for a front sounds like it could go v expensive. Yes i do want it done 100% so not willing to compromise and get a 2nd hand one or anything. Issue is that the car they drove wasn't theirs & i gather they weren't insured - so they are basically going to have to choose between paying for a new one out of pocket or getting pulled up on a driving without insurance charge (since my insurance company will insist i get the Police involved i gather, and prob go after them anyway).

Post #58527 7th Feb 2010 9:09 pm
Rowy

If you have protected no claims you could say you didn't get the reg or The owner of the car would have to say they were driving-either way it's dodgy Whistle

Post #58528 7th Feb 2010 9:19 pm
Carnoch

Grass them off, it wasn't your fault they decided to drive uninsured. Report it now, although interestingly enough, under the RTA 1988 as amended, God, what isn't! if someone refuses or fails to give you insurance at the time of an accident, you can demand it up to 5 years later and if they don't you can report them to the Filth and the Filth have to report it to the CPS. Nothing like things being in black and white within the body of the Act.

There is no other way. I certainly wouldn't muck about telling your insurance company or the Filth lies. They might be thick, but I wouldn't count of them being quite so stupid. If you are caught out by either, it's attempting to pervert the course of justice with the possibility of a fine and prison and you will be black listed by insurance companies 4 ever. The neighbours shouldn't even put you in that position. They should have to integrity to say sorry and we will come clean.

Do not put yourself out on a limb. It's a problem they made and they can solve.

Post #58530 7th Feb 2010 9:45 pm
Rowy

F Censored king Hell Si, Shocked

Why don't we bring back hangin for the scum Laughing

Post #58538 7th Feb 2010 11:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

1)possible that the owners of the car, insurance policy might cover the driver if he/she was on a test drive

2) if the driver of the car has their own policy, they might be covered 3rd party damage and repair will be covered

Why was they driving the car that wasn't theirs? Question Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58539 7th Feb 2010 11:43 pm
Rowy

Nice One Pinky, If they have a Fully comp policy on their own vehicle It will probably have a 3rd party extension to cover driving other vehicles not owned by themselves Thumbs Up

Post #58540 7th Feb 2010 11:50 pm
Carnoch

Rowy, my moto, 'Hang Em High' Sounds like a good name for a cowboy film staring Clint Eastwood! Yes, I am the hanging judge.

Seriously, by telling potential Porkies to the Insurance and/or Filth, epsecially in these circumstances and or under a Section 172 requirement, which is always used post accident to establish a drivers identity, you could gets rodgered big time. you'd be black balled by the insurance, which is bad enough, technically a dishonesty or potential fraud by manipulating the circumstances for the neighbour, making sure you'd probably never get insurance again. Add to that the penalties for a contravention of said Act, the disposals include a 2k max fine, discretionary disqualification and prison. Albeit, your talking 250-500 squid fine and maybe 3/6 points generally speaking. Better the neighbours face the music and you keep out of it. As a rule of thumb, for a Section 143(1), they'd get 6 points and 250 fine, although, yes, technically, the penalties are very similar to the 172.

Post #58550 8th Feb 2010 1:41 am
Carnoch

Oh and a lot of insurance companies tightened up on the policy bit that allowed policy holders to drive any motor not owned or hired by them. In essence, they found that neds were driving all sorts of high powered vehicles off the back of a say Fiesta policy, cars which they would never have even got a quote for normally, so needless to say, they put exclusions in. That said people would need to read the individual insurance policy.

Post #58551 8th Feb 2010 1:46 am
FLETCH

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Auto Lago Grey

Hi
Whatever you do dont let your Insurers or the Third Party insurers fit a door skin.
Insist on a new door, and unless you know of a local Bodyshop that you trust insist the repairs are done at a LandRover Approved Bodyshop, not some so called "Insurance Approved Bodyshop"
It is your LEGAL right to choose the repairer, despite what your / or the other parties insurers may tell you.
Door skins are crap and will rot out.
Insurance Approved Repairers are only deemed so because they sign contracts which supplies them with lots of work via the Insurance Company, but they have to do it cheap, your car will be just a number to them.
The whole concept is to save money, the insurers want it done cheap as possible and for the bodyshop to make money corners are cut.

I know I own a bodyshop. (not a tout for work we have too much, just advice)

Post #58554 8th Feb 2010 8:48 am
rlgillyon

Hi guys - the issue is that this driver was uninsured (for sure). This means that (a) they are facing 6-8 points and from what i've heard a fine of £500-1500 - max £5K although unlikely to be that high and (b) i will essentially be making a claim on my insurance - which means that i will lose my no claims and be paying for it for the next 5 years in increased premiums.

So... i am not hell bent on getting them done (they are my neighbours!) and if i can get my car repaired with no involvement from insurance company then i am happy - certainly it will mean i don't have to pay higher insurance premiums, if it is however not strictly legit as far as the insurers go... ho hum

Post #58560 8th Feb 2010 9:45 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Well, i wouldn't get the work done until you have the cash in your pocket Exclamation as you wouldn't want to in the situation where they give you a bill and they dont pay Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #58569 8th Feb 2010 10:31 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>