« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New Jeep grand cherokee
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
New Jeep grand cherokee

Just noticed the 1st drive on autocar, seems very positive. full air suspension,same platform as the new merc ML and a new V6 diesel(built by VM in italy with help from fiat, don't know if thats good or bad), 234bhp and 34 mpg combined and 214 grammes emision, Auto with low range box and jeeps version of terrain response. Could be a rival to top end FL2's and Disco's.

Post #96885 29th Mar 2011 11:29 am
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

I forget what the V in VM is but the M is Marine.

The old Granada Scorpio used one of these engines around 1990. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #96899 29th Mar 2011 1:40 pm
DrownedRat

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Rimini Red

They also put VM diesels in the first Range Rovers - Acknowledged as some of the quietest and smoothest Diesels at that point. They have quite a heritage.

Moves away from the current crop of smaller Jeep diesels which use the super smooth VW pdi units - hence the whistle from most of them.

Is still a Jeep though NOt a Landrover!!! There's always a way forward!

2008 Freelander Td4 GS - Stornoway Grey - Now Gone - Sob
2011 Freelander Td4 GS 150 - Rimini Red - in its place - Better x far x 4!!

Post #97086 30th Mar 2011 9:10 pm
1STFREELANDER

I have to say I think jeep has as much heritage as land Rover

Post #97146 31st Mar 2011 2:36 pm
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

I sat in one the other day. What a horrible place to put the parking brake for right hand drive models. It's foot operated and down near your left leg. I couldn't put my leg anywhere without banging my shin on it. Ruined a great car for me.

Post #98782 14th Apr 2011 10:24 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

1STFREELANDER wrote:
I have to say I think jeep has as much heritage as land Rover

yes and no the modern jeeps are not related to the origonal willys jeep. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #98784 14th Apr 2011 10:31 pm
jp

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Didn't Land Rover copy the Willy's Jeep over 60 year ago. after world war 2

VM Motori was founded by two entrepreneurs, Vancini and Martelli (hence the "VM") in 1947. Thumbs Up

Post #98804 15th Apr 2011 10:09 am
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

If you ignore the engine for a moment, it otherwise seems like a great vehicle. There's nothing wrong with the motors, though they seem to be behind the European pack in terms of diesels and fuel effeciency. I must admit I was very tempted - were it not for the fuel economy, I'd presently be on the Jeep forums! Time will tell and it will be interesting whether Land Rover moves the FL2 more off-road to differentiate it from the Evoque (same fundamental structure)?

Post #98830 15th Apr 2011 12:55 pm
mikehzz

The new diesel is supposed to be a ripper (not out till July). I have a Jeep Grand 2004 with the Mercedes 2.7 diesel and it gets near my FL2 for economy. The only fault is no room for your left leg especially on long trips. Thats why I was interested if they had done something about it.....well no they haven't and they added a stupid foot pedal for the parking brake as well. There are comments about it on the Jeep forums. Otherwise the car is very impressive indeed and I would have been in the queue for one.

Post #98831 15th Apr 2011 1:21 pm
jaksbak@freel2

Australia 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

Mike - I was sort of hoping you had ordered one of the new diesels due later this year to see how they went. The adjustable ride height really appeals, though time will surely tell if it's a technology that is reliable over time. I seem to recall a few problems with the new Discos and RRS's.

Post #98834 15th Apr 2011 1:47 pm
mikehzz

Yes air shocks are fantastic. I drove a new Touareg in Europe in February and it had them. They went up that high my wife had trouble getting in the car. That was a great diesel, 8 l/100km at 110 kph on the motorway and quiet. Its a $7000 option on a VW though.

The sales guy for Jeep said the new diesel gets about the same as my 2.7 does which is under 10 combined and has 400+ torque figures. Try sitting in one and see if the foot pedal bangs on your shin It would be fine on a left hand drive as it molds into the side panel and there is plenty of left leg room anyway. But the right hand drive is for one legged people only due to the big bulge of the motor/transmission.

Post #98884 16th Apr 2011 12:12 am
1STFREELANDER

Many cars built and designed for left hand drive, and converted to right hand drive, suffer the same fate. it shows the right hand drive market was an afterthought. The foot parking brake is loved by the Americans for some reason, and Mercedes. The Audi Q5 suffers the same although the auto is better as the footwell only has two pedals to accomodate. I notice it only has a five speed auto, big mistake when the competition is offering 6/7/8 speeds. the reason given is their new 6 speed auto box cannot handle the torque of the new engine, funny as LR manage to get their 8 speed box to handle 700nm on the RR. Perhaps they should have wondered why everyone else is using the ZF box.

Post #98897 16th Apr 2011 8:30 am
m1964

United States 

1STFREELANDER wrote:
Many cars built and designed for left hand drive, and converted to right hand drive, suffer the same fate. it shows the right hand drive market was an afterthought. The foot parking brake is loved by the Americans for some reason, and Mercedes. The Audi Q5 suffers the same although the auto is better as the footwell only has two pedals to accomodate. I notice it only has a five speed auto, big mistake when the competition is offering 6/7/8 speeds. the reason given is their new 6 speed auto box cannot handle the torque of the new engine, funny as LR manage to get their 8 speed box to handle 700nm on the RR. Perhaps they should have wondered why everyone else is using the ZF box.

Q5 does have a 6-speed when equipped w/ 3.2L gas/petrol engine, and comes w/ new ZF 8-speed when equipped w/ 2.0L gas engine. The suspension is too stiif though...

Post #99402 21st Apr 2011 3:18 am
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

mikehzz wrote:
Yes air shocks are fantastic. I drove a new Touareg in Europe in February and it had them. They went up that high my wife had trouble getting in the car. Its a $7000 option on a VW though.

T.

VW mechanic told me recently that they never have many problems with the Touareg except those that have air suspension, its a right old pain in the bum he said, apparently. He said if you have one make sures it still got warranty and flog it as soon as it expires. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #100941 5th May 2011 1:37 pm
mikehzz

Thanks for the info. I've been told they can blow on the Disco's as well. Still the idea is great, highway driving at low height and lift up to step over rocks...perfect. Very Happy

Post #100948 5th May 2011 2:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>