Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > 2007 2.2 td4 gearbox noise, needs replacing. ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bluscoob

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver
2007 2.2 td4 gearbox noise, needs replacing. ?

Hi all, i'm back to owning a freelander after a hiatus of a few years from a FL1. From South Wales UK.

i have rescued a UK 2007 TD4 FL2 manual from a work colleague. He was driving, heard a loud pop / bang, and now there is a banging / tapping when the car is moving. He has had a used PTU fitted, but the noise is exactly as before.

So noisy in all gears on over-run and when power is applied regardless of clutch press (except when power is applied in 5th & 6th it goes silent) (possibly 2nd too but hard to tell due to engine noise). it is silent when stationary. The tapping can slightly and briefly be felt through the gear shifter when moving through gears

I suspect a broken tooth in the gearbox.

This is what i found after i took the car off his hands.

Tyres are brand matched across front axle and different brand match across rear axle, tread is similar on all 4 wheels.

Here is what i believe broke a tooth, he had front passenger tyre at 38psi, front driver at 22psi, rear passenger at 17psi and rear driver at 23psi. I believe the huge mismatch in tyre pressures broke a gear tooth.

I suspect it is the gearbox due to the noise disappearing when power is applied in 5th and 6th gear. (edit and 2nd gear)

So my ask is, i need to source a replacement used gearbox, and notice there are different part numbers on the many that are available online (some appear to have worn splines on the PTU output, some appear to have healthy splines, obviously looking at ones with healthy looking splines) , but does anyone know if there is a difference between the part numbers on the 6 speed manual gearboxes? specifically the last two digits. i.e. HG or HJ or HH etc e.g. 7G9R7002HH or 7G9R7002HG etc.

(edit: it currently has a 7G9R7002HG fitted)

Thankyou.

Post #444990 28th Sep 2024 12:50 pm
bluscoob

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Zermatt Silver

UPDATE: Since i posted the above, from what i've found, it seems there's no difference between the 7G9R7002HG or HH or HJ gearboxes, they all appear to fit with no difference in gear ratios or anything else i can see. I'm guessing the last letter is just a year of manufacture identifier.

So to confirm what i already knew, and to eke a bit more mileage out of the broken box, i drained the oil which was a lovely shade of sparkling silver, bit's of metal (likely spline) came out with the oil too.

I haven't got time to replace the box yet, will prob do it early next year, so refilled with 75w-140 castrol transmax, this has quietened the box down quite a bit, the knocking is still there, but much less than it was. (I expected the 140 oil to cause problems shifting, but no effect noticed.)

So i'll run it until it either completely fails or i get a chance to put a used gearbox on.

Post #445189 7th Oct 2024 3:03 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

I've never heard of different tyre pressures damaging a gearbox. The amount of cars with under or overinflated tyres on the road it would be a common occurrence. Freelander 2 is much less susceptible to differences in tyres than a Freelander 1 was. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #445193 7th Oct 2024 10:03 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Agree with Bob.
Unlike the FL1, the FL2 does not have permanent 4WD and doesnt suffer the transmission "wind-up" inherent in permanently engaged 4WD systems.
(FL1 had a viscous coupling, Defender, Discovery 1 and 2 had a lockable centre differential). Jules

Post #445199 8th Oct 2024 11:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1