« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auto gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
oldjagman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red
Auto gearbox

Thanks to admin for accepting me to the forum.

I am actually here on behalf of a family member who owns a 2014 Freelander 2.2 diesel with auto gearbox, mileage is 98k miles. He is the 2nd owner and has owned it for full 7 years now and only ever towed a 6x4 'garden' trailer. Original owner did no towing. Recently a humming noise came which sounded like it was from the drive train and more recently while driving along main roads a light comes on showing 2 wheel drive only. This is happening more frequent. Serviced by an independent every 12 months. I have told him its time to get all the gear oils replaced and any filters within as well. Could these symptoms be caused by gear oil and filters requiring changing or it more likely a mechanical issue as in internal gearbox component wear ? Is the use of transmission oil ' stabilisers' such as the popular Lucas product helpful or frowned upon in JLR circles. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

Post #444433 2nd Sep 2024 12:54 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Hi and welcome.
The loss of 4wd will be an issue with the haldex system, most likely due to lack of maintenance. An oil change including a new filter and removing the pump and cleaning its mesh screen will most likely resolve that issue.
The whining noise could potentially be haldex related but could also be an issue with the rear diff.
Removing the fuse for the haldex in the boot fusebox will confirm if it's a haldex issue or not.

Advise your friend to have all the transmission oils changed, at that mileage it will be well due them all.
Landrover's servicing schedule is woefully inadequate in relation to that.

I would avoid the 'snake oil' products. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #444434 2nd Sep 2024 7:25 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

While I agree that the drive train, (PTU, Haldex, and differential) all need to be given the servicing that has been suggested, worn tyres can also generate a hum that sounds just as if it’s coming from the diff!

Post #444436 2nd Sep 2024 7:41 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Agree with Bob.

Servicing of the Haldex unit should involve not just changing the special oil and filter but also removing the pump and cleaning the internal pump motor filter.

Unfortunately on some late models (like mine) the massive damper prevents easy removal of the pump and the damper needs to be removed, which in turn requires the propshaft to be disconnected from the Haldex.

For obvious reasons few garages will do this and certainly not main-dealers as its not part of the JLR Servicing Schedule, which as Bob has said is simply inadequate in this area.

I had my damper replaced with the earlier smaller one, by Bell Engineering - it makes no discernible difference. Jules

Post #444437 2nd Sep 2024 7:48 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

FWIW this was the pump filter on my Haldex after 53K miles. This is not part of the JLR service plan.

Jules

Post #444460 2nd Sep 2024 4:43 pm
oldjagman

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Guys, many thanks to you all for your most helpful and qualified advice. Nothing beats experience and I certainly came to the right place for that.
Many miles with smiles to all.

Post #444466 3rd Sep 2024 12:56 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1