« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Goes in Reduced Engine Performance on a long drive
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spannerhead

Spain 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Barolo Black
Goes in Reduced Engine Performance on a long drive

So I had this same problem before 4 months ago on a long drive through Spain. It happened again today doing the same drive. In between I took it to a garage who tested it for 24hrs, checked the data log, and could find no fault.
Once I had been driving on the motorway at 80mph for about 3 hours I went to overtake a lorry up a hill, pushed the peddle to the floor, which I rarely do, and it immediately went into limp mode. No warning lights came up though. When I stopped, turned it off and on, I got the Reduced Engine Performance message, but again no warning lights. But it would be fine until I came to a hill or did more than tickle the accelerator. For the rest of the 9 hour journey this kept happening. In the end I just left it in limp mode and drove the last 2 hours with very limited power. Still no warning lights.
I've read a few posts about fuel filter, fuel pump, maf sensor and turbo problems. When I go to the garage tomorrow it would be good to give them a few ideas...
Thanks guys

Post #444350 27th Aug 2024 5:59 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I had similar, it turned out to be Turbo Actuator (Sticking?)

See my thread in this link

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic39340.html?highlight=turbo

Precis of resolution ---

The garage confirmed the fault codes and asked the LR Warranty people to authorise a change of turbo, however LR Warranty asked for a full functional procedure and check to be carried out.
As I understand it this comprised of resetting everything and exercising/checking functioning of turbo.
Afterwards, and on the subsequent road test, all appeared to work perfectly. The garage rang me with the news, but agreed to carry out an extended road test as I was convinced the fault would reappear.
 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444353 27th Aug 2024 8:15 pm
Spannerhead

Thanks buddy I'll have a read...

Right, off to buy some turbo cleaner as that sounds exactly like my problem. Fingers crossed it works!

Post #444355 27th Aug 2024 8:52 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

As above, most likely carbon build up on the variable geometry ring in the turbo. Very common issues.
If you go under the car and disconnect the electric actuator from the turbo linkage (don't lose the small C-clip) , you can then move the linkage up and down. This will in turn move the turbo ring. If it is sticky or grinds then it is carbon build up.
If it is that bad, most turbo cleaners won't work. Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Last edited by gasman on 28th Aug 2024 7:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444366 28th Aug 2024 11:24 am
Spannerhead

Thankfully the turbo cleaner seems to have done the job.

Post #444369 28th Aug 2024 2:02 pm
gasman

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Good to know 😃 Thumbs Up Now at the point when I learn something new something old is lost out the other side !
Now retired so it doesn't matter anymore.
Freelander now gone.

Post #444371 28th Aug 2024 7:36 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Now use some decent fuel or additive to improve combustion and stop the carbon from forming! Also, you’ll need to vary the rev range more so that the vanes and actuating ring move through their full movement more often.

Post #444372 28th Aug 2024 7:46 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

BossBob, I did wonder if cruising for miles/hours at the same speed had something to do with my sticking turbo actuator problem. As it started to show up at the same sort of place each time.
Also it would explain how the Dealer 'exercising' the turbo cleared my fault.

The fault occurred after I had been using cruise control on a long dual carriageway run at a moderate speed (65mph) and had slowed for a roundabout and then accelerated quite swiftly back up to the same cruising speed.
Quite often the 'Restricted Performance' message cleared on stopping and double locking the car. Then it became a solid fault and I had error codes.

I did also wonder if I had clocked up enough intermittent/transient faults for it to become a 'locked in' fault in system complete with error codes.
I do not know how the error registers work. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444374 28th Aug 2024 11:33 pm
RoverRider

Australia 

Ooof, 9 hours in limp mode? That must've been rough. Glad you made it home safe. I'd be tempted to carry some turbo cleaner for long trips after that experience. Might save ya some hassle in future.

Post #444376 29th Aug 2024 4:14 am
Spannerhead

Yeah, it wasn't fun, I thought it might have been something to do with the available power from the engine so turned off the Aircon too, in 35° spanish heat! Luckily when I stopped, turned it off and on I could then drive ok for a while, until we hit another hill anyway!
My relatively new Spanish partner is a rather nervous controlling passenger, so I had been driving it for over 2 years much more gently than I would have done otherwise, so now she has to put up with a bit of hard accelerating now and again!
Thanks again to everyone on here, it's really has saved me time and money. And I'm definitely going to buy another bottle of cleaner and leave it in the car

Post #444379 29th Aug 2024 9:24 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I think that long periods cruising at the same speed or throttle setting can’t help when you’ve got a mechanism like the turbo variable vanes. You’d hope that the designer took the possibility of carbon deposits into account but it will also depend on all the other designers and regulators that cause modern cars to reconsume their own exhaust gases. My understanding is that the EGR only opens when the engine is hot enough and at constant rpm, ie on a motorway/dual carriageway and we all know how coked up the EGR system gets, so why not coke up the turbo variable vanes while we’re at it?

Post #444386 29th Aug 2024 2:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1