Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Another EGR delete post
have you removed/blanked/mapped out EGR on a facelift model?
Yes
25%
 25%  [2]
No
75%
 75%  [6]
Total Votes: 8

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ian_clyde

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver
Another EGR delete post

2012 FL2, the one with the new shape EGR cooler with the stupid looking bypass valve thing on it.

bought few months ago second hand and since discovered an EGR issue.

looks like the cooler is leaking as both coolant pipes have been removed and joined together.

issue i have is that exhaust gas is coming out of the coolant connectors on the EGR cooler and inside the cabin stinks when stopped at traffic lights.

obviously it makes more sense to remove/blank the system as it;s no good for the engine.

i know it will need mapped out as it's a 2012, i already have a local Indy that will do this part.

....but, how do i blank the system to stop the gas leak? i cannot use the 'normal' blank plate that goes at the front of the engine as the gas will need to go through the cooler before reaching this.

is there a way to blank at the exhaust manifold end before the gas enters the cooler?

after much searching i have not found any posts about this....so please help Very Happy

Post #441958 29th May 2024 8:54 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

You have to blank it at the exhaust manifold end of the the system. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Almost sold.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.

Post #441980 29th May 2024 5:01 pm
ian_clyde

do you know if it is the same shape blanking plate that goes at the throttle body end?

i read somewhere the one for an X5 is the same size as the exhaust manifold on the FL2.

Post #441997 30th May 2024 8:07 am
Nodge68

When mine was blanked (cooler was leaking) I blanked it at both ends, and yes the same plate fits in both locations. I've subsequently reinstated the EGR system for MOT reasons.

In the UK, It's now illegal to tamper with emissions control equipment on a vehicle, hence an MOT fail will be issued if found. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #441999 30th May 2024 8:36 am
John E.

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue

No.
And I never will.

Post #442026 30th May 2024 7:31 pm
ian_clyde

see hypothetically speaking why do people say no to egr removal?

MOT issues aside, dirty oily air being forced back into your engine is not good for your engine.

its like running down the road while smoking 20 cigarettes.

just wondering...

Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes

Post #442076 31st May 2024 4:15 pm
Nodge68

The emissions requirements don't care about the engine, or the long term effects breathing in exhaust gasses has on it.

In reality however, if the engine is running correctly, then the amount of soot in the exhaust is minimal, as the EGR cycle should only activate under light to moderate loads, and only at certain engine speeds.

EGRs get a bad name because engine maintenance isn't carried out with regards to cleaning the intake system, so they slowly build up with unpleasant goop, which is worsened by injectors that aren't spraying fuel correctly, so completely combustion doesn't take place.
Couple this with a worn engine that has a higher crankcase vent emissions and the mess in the intake very quickly causes running issues.

This can be reduced by simply cleaning the EGR and intake system, which is part of the service intervals on HGVs, where mileage is higher than a normal car engine would be. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #442081 31st May 2024 4:41 pm
John E.

ian_clyde wrote:
see hypothetically speaking why do people say no to egr removal?

MOT issues aside, dirty oily air being forced back into your engine is not good for your engine.

its like running down the road while smoking 20 cigarettes.

just wondering...

Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes

It being “dirty” isn’t relevant, being inert is.

It means that the combustion chamber temperature peaks can be lowered, greatly reducing harmful NOx emissions AND actually reducing the change of engine damage when combustion chamber temperatures are too high (such as holed pistons & burnt valves).

Last edited by John E. on 29th Jun 2024 8:07 am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #442101 31st May 2024 8:08 pm
John E.

Nodge68 wrote:
The emissions requirements don't care about the engine, or the long term effects breathing in exhaust gasses has on it.

In reality however, if the engine is running correctly, then the amount of soot in the exhaust is minimal, as the EGR cycle should only activate under light to moderate loads, and only at certain engine speeds.

EGRs get a bad name because engine maintenance isn't carried out with regards to cleaning the intake system, so they slowly build up with unpleasant goop, which is worsened by injectors that aren't spraying fuel correctly, so completely combustion doesn't take place.
Couple this with a worn engine that has a higher crankcase vent emissions and the mess in the intake very quickly causes running issues.

This can be reduced by simply cleaning the EGR and intake system, which is part of the service intervals on HGVs, where mileage is higher than a normal car engine would be.

EGR’s are relevant to NOx emissions, DPF’s reduce particulate emmissions 👍

Post #442102 31st May 2024 8:10 pm
John E.

For anyone that believes that removal of EGR valves is victimless, here’s a short summary from the CDC on the fun consequences of elivated NOx levels that EGR valves are designed to limit 🙁

How can nitrogen oxides affect my health?

Low levels of nitrogen oxides in the air can irritate your eyes, nose, throat, and lungs, possibly causing you to cough and experience shortness of breath, tiredness, and nausea. Exposure to low levels can also result in fluid build-up in the lungs 1 or 2 days after exposure. Breathing high levels of nitrogen oxides can cause rapid burning, spasms, and swelling of tissues in the throat and upper respiratory tract, reduced oxygenation of body tissues, a build-up of fluid in your lungs, and death.

If you were to come into skin or eye contact with high concentrations of nitrogen oxide gases or nitrogen dioxide liquid, you would likely experience serious burns.

We do not know if exposure to nitrogen oxides will result in reproductive effects in humans.”

Post #442896 29th Jun 2024 8:13 am
Nodge68

John E. wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:

This can be reduced by simply cleaning the EGR and intake system, which is part of the service intervals on HGVs, where mileage is higher than a normal car engine would be.

EGR’s are relevant to NOx emissions, DPF’s reduce particulate emmissions 👍

Er, yes I'm aware of what components do what in a diesel emissions system.
The soot from poor combustion gets back into the intake, as the there's no DPF to filter it out of the EGR system.
Simple timely cleaning of the intake will eliminate most EGR issues, which sadly is never done. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #442908 29th Jun 2024 11:52 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

If only the EGR was easier to get at. Cleaning it is easy, removing it from the back of the engine is a PITA. Jules

Post #442913 30th Jun 2024 8:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1