Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Annoying whine when accelerating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SS_97

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
Annoying whine when accelerating

Hello everyone,

New to the forum as I’ve just bought a 2013 Freelander 2 HSE SD4 (auto), already love it! Just a smidge over 140k miles but does not feel/look it! It’s my first Land Rover as well.

However, I seem to have an annoying whine whenever I accelerate (and it’s surprisingly not the missus in the passenger seat) I can’t really describe exactly what it sounds like, closest comparison is how a bus sounds as it accelerates and goes through the gears. Seems to kind of match the engine speed as well, also if I’m in neutral and rev it, the whine is also present, doesn’t seem to change if I move the steering wheel, but at a standstill the steering is a lot heavier than I’d probably expect. Doesn’t seem to have any effect on the car driving, as it seems to drive spot on. I’ve included a link to a youtube video which is the closest audible one I can find to the sound I’m hearing.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6nWQbWRD0Xw?si=r-mzBbfGUabqrPOI

Having done a bit of research on here and other sites where people have talked about similar symptoms I’m leaning towards buying a new power steering reservoir, and flushing the fluid out as it looks a bit murky. Just wondered if anyone had similar, or any other suggestions to look for as well? Or whether it’s just a character trait of the FL2?

Thank you all in advance, and here’s to (hopefully) many years of enjoyment ahead

Post #441944 28th May 2024 5:13 pm
ian_clyde

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

if it doesn't change tone when you turn the steering wheel then more than likely not the steering fluid reservoir, although changing and flushing is recommended, its an easy job and take very little time.

if your whine seems to match your engine speed then i would make a guess at drive train related, the rear diff is well know for whining when the bearings start to let go, it can also sound like the sound is coming from the front as it can travel along the prop shaft.

i would maybe try draining and changing you diff fluid and checking to see if it smells 'burnt'...

Post #441964 29th May 2024 10:54 am
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

Just to add to the many things that can whine while accelerating, the aux belt tensioner or the idler pulley if it sounds like this (40 seconds into the video)...

https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #441975 29th May 2024 2:51 pm
SS_97

It does sound quite similar from the outside, not quite as loud as that but gives me something else to try, thank you!

Post #442025 30th May 2024 7:31 pm
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

i had an annoying whine when accelerating but leave her at home now . Very Happy 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #442143 1st Jun 2024 4:59 pm
RPoul87

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

Mines recently developed a whine when accelerating from cold. Goes away once warmed up but haven’t been able to pin point it. Corrado VR6 Mystic Blue - Gone
Freelander 2 Orkney Grey

Post #442158 1st Jun 2024 7:25 pm
SS_97

Dean1234 wrote:
Just to add to the many things that can whine while accelerating, the aux belt tensioner or the idler pulley if it sounds like this (40 seconds into the video)...

This was spot on thanks! Fitted both the tensioner pulley and idler & my ears are now thanking me!

Though I now realise with the whine gone, I can hear more things I want to check over that don’t sound right! I’m sure I’ll be back on here shortly for more advice

Post #442398 8th Jun 2024 12:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1