Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Possible ECU Issue - Tricky Error Codes - HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Charlie Rogers

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver
Possible ECU Issue - Tricky Error Codes - HELP!

Good Evening All,

Hope you are all doing well.

I have had an enormous amount of trouble with my 2011 Freelander 2.

The long and the short of it is, I have 3 error codes causing the car to go into permanent limp mode and they will not clear despite my best efforts.

Issue 1/3 DPF Pressure sensor - Code P2454-00, P2456-00

The pressure sensor has been replaced, and there is pressure coming from the metal pressure lines - so the DPF isn't blocked. However, code remains and once cleared using a cheap OBD reader, returns after a short drive.

Issue 2/3 Glow Plug Module to Powertrain Control Module Signal Stuck High - Code P0683-24

9 times out of 10 the car will struggle to start and choke when starting for the first time on ignition, the 2nd attempt the car will start no problem then flare up the dreaded reduced engine performance code. I understand my generation of Freelander doesn't have a dedicated glow plug control module and this all happens in the ECU. I don't even know where to start with repairing/diagnosing an ECU, so any advice welcome!

Issue 3/3 Random assortment of error codes including lost communications and control module errors (U and B codes - so nothing that is going to set the car into limp mode). + One Exhaust Temp Sensor that will not disappear but only occasionally is the cause of "Limp Mode". (P code)

Points to note:

- I have changed my battery as it was showing less than 12 volts. (did not fix any P codes, I do not have an OBD reader than can read lesser codes)

- I use a cheap OBD reader that will only tell me the details of codes once the engine warning light comes on which is not regular despite being in constant limp mode.

- I've done the typical thing and thrown it at garages who charge an extortionate "Diagnostic Fee" to clear the codes, play me like a fool and tell me its working again.

If anyone can point me in the right direction or have had issues similar to this in the past, any help would be appreciated!!

I am leaning towards this being an ECU issue, however I still need to check all the wires to the mentioned sensors.

Thank you all and have a great day!

Kind Regards, Charlie[/b]

Post #441623 14th May 2024 11:08 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Your glow plugs do have a module, its next to the ECU under the windscreen scuttle. Easily replaced, if that is the problem but get one with the same code as the original. I replaced mine with one from a scrappy

What make of replacement pressure sensor did you use

Can you do a live reading of the pressure sensor

Post #441629 15th May 2024 7:53 am
Charlie Rogers

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Fortunately I have another (2009 - Pre-Facelift) Freelander 2 I am breaking for parts as a novice, so I will try and fetch the glow plug module off that and see if it is a match.

I used a RIDEX sensor off autodoc, admittedly a cheap one but unfortunately I couldn't poach one off my breaking Freelander as its an 09 and pre emissions.

I can't do a live reading of the pressure sensor on my cheap OBD reader. I will have to see if I can borrow fancier one. I did however do a voltage reading and it has all 5 volts.

I appreciate your help! Sounds like I need to persevere and keep narrowing down the likely problems.

Post #441637 15th May 2024 6:47 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

I understand the pre-facelift motors don't have a module. they have a relay instead, you are up the creek without a paddle if you don't have a code reader and learn how to use it

Post #441644 15th May 2024 10:11 pm
Grimdog

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Barolo Black

I bought a Ridex CPS from AutoDoc. It didn't work out of the box. Good luck

Post #441650 16th May 2024 5:55 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1