« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Being Unreasonable?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Being Unreasonable?

So for those of you who have seen my other recent posts, I had a bit of a mare with my rear brakes. Ended up replacing both read discs, pads and one caliper/handbrake servo. I had ordered a rear brake kit from British Parts which stated it was for 2.2L diesel FL2s from 2010-2014. Mine is a 2014.

Turns out the discs fit fine until you go to put the calipers back on at which point they don't fit. Then you discover the pads are too small as well. So I had installed both discs, in the rain (desperately needed the car on the road), so the boxes they came in were soaked through. Pads had been out the box and sat in the carriers then put back in the box, which had also been rained on.

Emailed customer services to explain the situation and specifically that the parts would not be in resalable condition as they had been fitted to the vehicle before it became clear they were the wrong parts and that the boxes had been soaked in the rain so would be coming back in different boxes. They said no problem, organised a courier for me and said would refund once received.

Discs were cleaned with disc cleaner, dried and put in the bags that the new discs had come in. Boxed up and shipped off.

Emailed British Parts yesterday to ask where in the process we were and got a reply today to say that no refund would be issued because the parts were not in resalable condition and that the discs were corroded and the pads had come out the box during shipping.

I replied that the discs will have corroded as that's inescapable once they are out the protective bag and that all discs do that. Person replied with a photo of the discs and has not replied since, despite me asking for this to be escalated.

Am I being unreasonable? I explicitly stated the items would not be in resalable condition upon return due to being opened and fitted. Discs corrode, I don't think I could have avoided that. But as I was sent items that were incorrectly described on the website, that shouldn't matter.

It's almost £100 worth of stuff so I can't just write that off to experience. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though 😎

Post #442775 24th Jun 2024 5:50 pm
Rommel

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Fuji White

Stick them on Ebay only way of recovering your expense, these are always being advertised as " fits 2006 to 20014 " when 2006 only fits up to 2012 so was misleading advert as they are obviously incorrect, only other option is take it up with trading standards, who did you get them from? 2013 FL2 XS.
Defender 90 300 TDi.
Defender 90 300 TDi CSW.
1964 MGB Roadster.
1944 Willys MB "Jeep" with bullet holes. (gone)
17 hand Irish Drought Thoroughbred (mostly lame)
Nagging Old Boiler.

Post #442777 24th Jun 2024 7:13 pm
Chuckalicious

I don’t even have them - British Parts still do. I have a feeling I may need to go to Trading Standards. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though 😎

Post #442778 24th Jun 2024 7:14 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Oh dear should have given them a spray of oil or WD40 before posting.

Post #442780 24th Jun 2024 8:33 pm
Chuckalicious

I did 😂😂 plus the bag was coated with oil on the inside. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #442782 24th Jun 2024 9:18 pm
Kot

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Tell them to send them back

Post #442783 24th Jun 2024 9:20 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

British Parts it seems, misrepresented the parts they sold you... Advertising Standards Authority should be informed. (Once you've explained to BP that you are £100 out of pocket as a direct result of their misleading advert - have a screenshot of the misleading advert/information).

I once went down that route with a broadband providers advert that offered unlimited free calls for just £x.xx per month over and above the basic package cost. The BB company were of the opinion the ad was fair and accurate... ASA thought otherwise and the ad was changed fairly quickly.

Post #442787 25th Jun 2024 8:47 am
Chuckalicious

Yeah that’s the thing, it was incorrectly advertised. I just don’t know where I stand on the items being returned in a condition that means they can’t resell. I don’t see how I could have avoided the corrosion, not that they could have or should have resold a part that had been fitted to another vehicle anyway. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k

Post #442788 25th Jun 2024 8:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1