« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > New car on order
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Lukey Luke

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
New car on order

At the end of November 08 i ordered a new Left Hand Drive FL2. HSE, Auto, Stoneaway. Dealer said that it would be built in December and we could get it early January. In the end the car order only went through to LR early December because LR / Dealer were sorting out the spec's (i.e. All left hand drives come with Bi-Xenos and Shadow Chrome wheels) differences between LHD & RHD.

Dealer said it would now be built in January on the Belgium production line and we should get it 10 or so days after it has been built.

Have been asking the dealer to find out when the car is due to be built (need to take my other car aboard / swap insurance ect ect) and all he says is that it is booked in on LR system to be built and can not give me any information apart from LR do not get back to me .

I did think that a month turnaround was a little quick, am starting to think he just told me what i wanted to here to get deal done! Does anyone know a way of finding out when the Belgium production line batch is due to start?

Cheers,
Lukeyluke HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #34338 10th Jan 2009 11:45 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Belgium production line? never heard of one? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34342 10th Jan 2009 12:52 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

From what I'm being told in my pursuit for a new motor (none LR) then lead times are getting much longer and that is the way it will be for the foreseeable future - IF you want a car from the production line, as opposed to finding one in dealer stock.

Problem being manufacturers are cutting back production schedules because of market conditions, so if your chosen motor requires a slot on the production line that line is moving slower.

Conversations in last couple of days have indicated 3 months for Volvo and 4 months for Mazda, just off to speak with Jaguar today. Stornoway Grey GS ... What a fine motor Smile ... but not any more ... Big Cry ... psst look at my gallery!
Company cars ... a thing of the past - May 2013.

Post #34343 10th Jan 2009 1:08 pm
upnaway

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Baltic Blue

Practically every car plant in the world is on extended downtime and/or shift reductions so predicting when a specified car will be built must be a nightmare because the dealer as no control over these lay-offs. It would depend on stock v orders, in this period of restricted borrowing no company could afford to finance them.
The only plus I can detect in this mayhem is that Toyota plan to shut down the Prius plant for a month. still pining for my 3dr, no removeable hardtop, no drop glass tailgate, no roof rack, no pockets everywhere to stow all that man kit

Post #34361 10th Jan 2009 6:51 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

chicken george wrote:
Belgium production line? never heard of one?

Thought it was the Indian production line that was taking over from UK Embarassed 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #34379 10th Jan 2009 10:43 pm
Lukey Luke

The dealer said something along the lines of....LHD cars get made in batches for each countries order. How I understood it is that all cars that Spain have ordered will be made together, all the cars for Germany will made to together and so on. The reason for this is because each country has slightly different specs, interior trim, emissions etc. I was told that the car i have ordered will be made in the next batch. Which will be the Belgium batch of LHD cars. No Land Rovers, as far as I know, will be made in Belgium.

Not sure if what he has said is true. Funny thing is that i will be moving to Belgium soon so am happy to get a Belgium spec car. Thumbs Up

Do hope it comes soon.

L HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #34382 10th Jan 2009 11:21 pm
Lukey Luke

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7825701.stm

Sounds like the staff were given extended leave over Xmass (I bet they were not paid, poor sod's).

I think i will be waiting a while until the car is built. Just cant wait to get her now Cool HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #34574 13th Jan 2009 3:02 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Why left hand drive out of interest?

Post #34578 13th Jan 2009 4:35 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Lukey Luke wrote:
Funny thing is that i will be moving to Belgium soon so am happy to get a Belgium spec car. Thumbs Up

wake up Snappy Rolling Eyes At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #34579 13th Jan 2009 4:37 pm
Lukey Luke

My girlfriend is from Belgium and does not like driving RHD cars (unless it is black.....joke Mr. Green ). We will also be moving to Belgium soon and thought with the weak pound at the moment let's get the car here. Should save a packet. Very Happy

Can not wait to get it, been on this website every day for a month and want to test the auto close windows, try and get the auto box in to neutral and feed back info.

Have not been on many forums, but this is the best to date. Very addictive. Thumbs Up HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #34582 13th Jan 2009 5:23 pm
snappa

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Buckingham Blue

Doh Whistle

Post #34584 13th Jan 2009 5:35 pm
Lukey Luke

Progress is being made Thumbs Up . Dealer has confirmation from LR Order Control that the car has gone through build and now has a VIN number Milestone . It is now in for Trimming and the dealer will be informed when the car is out of Quality Control (been told it could be the end of this week).

Not long to go now Very Happy HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #35661 27th Jan 2009 6:13 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Lukey Luke wrote:
The dealer said something along the lines of....LHD cars get made in batches for each countries order.

L

Well it's not a process I've come across before..any mix of LHD and RHD or different specs go through the line at any time..it's jusy about getting the right parts to the right place at the right time...easy peasy

I sense the delay is because the line is stalled until the those already manufactured are sold.

Post #35671 27th Jan 2009 9:40 pm
stormsky

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Lukey Luke wrote:
Progress is being made Thumbs Up . Dealer has confirmation from LR Order Control that the car has gone through build and now has a VIN number Milestone . It is now in for Trimming and the dealer will be informed when the car is out of Quality Control (been told it could be the end of this week).

Not long to go now Very Happy

I worked as a project engineer at Halewood for one of the companies that built Halewood production line back in 2000 - 2001 when the Jaguar X type was moved there, and was again involved in the planning when the FL went up there.

There is no seperate trimming section, parts are added as the car moves down the track, interior is completed before doors are hung. Quality control is the last section of the flow line, it doesnt take days. In total a painted shell is put onto the line, built, and off again as a complete car in a mater of hours, not days.

I'm sure its built and in shipping somewhere, but I think your dealer doesn't quite know where it is so is using some imagination to fill in the blanks. 58 HSE, auto, lago grey, tints. Mine and my dogs Storm and Sky
TT Quattro, black. Ers.
AC Cobra rep in build. Ars.

Post #35675 28th Jan 2009 8:13 am
Lukey Luke

Thanks for the input Stormsky Thumbs Up

It is hard to know what is what these days Confused

All in all it sounds like it should be close now Smile HSE, Auto, Colour - Yes

Post #35687 28th Jan 2009 11:07 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>