« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > insurance increase for sump and fuel tank guards
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Hippo

United Kingdom 
insurance increase for sump and fuel tank guards

Has anyone had problems with insurance for FL2’s with man tec sump and fuel tank guards fitted? I’m looking at quotes for a future purchase and struggling. AA wanting approx £550 for a metropolis in standard form with only LR approved items fitted as extras (LR items don’t increase the amount). If I add the sump and tank guard this adds £220 to the quote. The AA are one of the cheapest insurers I can find for the standard spec vehicle. AA is used as a broker for the insurer. Am I right in saying the man tec guards were never supplied in the FL2 sales brochures? I can’t see them in the pdf’s I have so I assume this is correct even though I believe they were used on the G4 FL2’s.
Big Cry Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #290675 17th Feb 2016 1:29 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

never a tick box option from the brochure, but a dealer might have been able to add them as dealer fit options

try Adrian Flux, or LRI Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #290678 17th Feb 2016 1:53 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Bit ridiculous really when you think the items could actually prevent the car being damaged, youd have thought theyd be a reduction in price wouldnt you.
Thing is those doing the quoting probably dont even know what they really are, and your car just ends up in a modified section on their system?

Post #290679 17th Feb 2016 1:56 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

I talked the person through what the guards were and where they fit. Sump replaces the plastic bit at the front and the tank guard being a stronger replacement for the existing guard. I may have another go with the AA to see if it is clear what they are. I've been with flux before and would like to stay away as the claims management and recovery side is poor from seeing others use them. Limited distance recovery etc after an accident. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #290689 17th Feb 2016 3:58 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I suppose they will look at that they are strong and will cause less damage, but on the other side they are put on cars that go that extra bit off road and that could lead to claims too Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #290691 17th Feb 2016 4:07 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
never a tick box option from the brochure, but a dealer might have been able to add them as dealer fit options

try Adrian Flux, or LRI
May I ask who is LRI? Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #291068 20th Feb 2016 11:35 pm
Hippo

United Kingdom 

I tried again but this time sent the AA photo's of the guards fitted to another vehicle and the best they could do is confirm the current insurer quoted won't cover them as a mod. So they have provided a different quote from a different insurer who would like an additional £298 per year if the guards are fitted. That's a special kind of stupid. I will pray for their underwriters souls. I guess there's no point asking about hellfire missiles. Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #291070 20th Feb 2016 11:42 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Hippo wrote:
npinks wrote:

try Adrian Flux, or LRI
May I ask who is LRI?

Land Rover Insurance Ex AA Series III LWB Safari - Gone
300TDi Disco (bought new - terrible car) sent back after 18 months
Freelander 1 Estate - leased, given back at end of lease
200TDi Disco (bought from a mate with 100,000 on the clock) - Gone
Disco 2 TD5 - sold and exported to France
FR2 TD4 GS - Gone
FR2 SD4 HSE - Now changed for a DS
New model ex-demo Evoque S 180 in white
Unable to order a new DS, so gave up. Now have a Volvo S90 Recharge.

Post #291071 20th Feb 2016 11:45 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #291072 20th Feb 2016 11:46 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

A few years back, I went with a company named Brentacre for a previous Fabia vRS. Recommended by a friend for modified cars...

Upon speaking to them, I could modify the car in ANY way I wanted, as long as I didn't improve the acceleration or top speed of the car.
Roof chop, air suspension, massive brakes, huge wheels etc. Not a problem, as long as every mod was declared
And, they were cheaper than every other company out there, even for a standard car

No idea if that is still the case now, as I have a trade policy which covers everything, but must be worth a call
http://www.brentacre.co.uk

No affiliation with the company, other than a happy previous customer. No experience of having to make a claim either

Post #291081 21st Feb 2016 9:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cqr

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

I've got the Mantec tank/sump guards
And a snorkel
Nfu no increase in my preamium 2008 xs
Snorkel
raised axle/gearbox breathers
Mantec tank guard
Cb radio
Blanked EGR
Sump guard
Scratches
Snolkle

Post #291083 21st Feb 2016 9:36 am
ronp

Scotland 

Insurance is a weird world.

Got a motorcycle after a 7 year break.
So in doing an internet quote (and in order to keep the premium as low as possible) I opted for very small annual mileage and not to carry a pillion.
When firming up the detail on the phone, it was cheaper for me to declare more annual mileage and also to declare carrying a pillion.

Reckon they look upon it that if I'm not doing a lot of mileage I'll be less experienced and therefore more liable to have an accident.
Likewise, in carrying a pillion, they probably reckon that'll make bikers ride slower and with more care.

Weird world Confused

Btw also experienced the sump plate issue with insurance quotes on mine.
In fact when getting quotes, one company even refused to insure me when I got to that point.

I've got a huge list of modifications and additions (all declared) and none of them put up my premium with LV.
Insurance renewal didn't go up last year either, so I'll be sticking with them. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #291086 21st Feb 2016 10:08 am
Hippo

United Kingdom 

Quick question on fitting the guards:

The front sump guard - does this fit over the lower plastic covering the tow eye or is the plastic removed? It looks to me as if it's removed but I assume this would fit back at a later date. Hence no cutting etc.

Fuel tank guard - the existing tank bracket which needs to be removed, is this just the front protection bar or is it the whole fuel tank bracket? Hence when removing the man tec fuel guard is there anything still supporting the fuel tank? Hippo's videos - Honorary Tratterer

Post #291211 22nd Feb 2016 10:39 am
ronp

Scotland 

On the front plate you just remove the cover, you keep the plastic frame in place.
However you will still see the grey plastic frame once the plate is fitted and it doesn't look good.
Best bet is to either paint the plastic frame in black, or just do as I did and apply black duct tape.

Re the rear plate, you DO NOT remove any brackets that hold the fuel tank in place.
From memory the only bracket I removed was the one that holds the handbrake cable.
I think that's replaced with one that comes with the guard. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #291216 22nd Feb 2016 11:08 am
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mines a G4
It came from Land Rover with Mantec guards fitted - stands to reason if LR fit them they are LR approved parts.

NFU state if they are LR approved parts they are included in standard insurance, so sump guards, roof rack, front plastic A bar, lamp guards, door ladder etc. all covered under standard policy.
Then again £930 with 8+ years no claims for business use isn't exactly cheap. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #291248 22nd Feb 2016 2:05 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>