Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Has my starter packed in ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
John ler

Has my starter packed in ?

Hi guys had my car in for new fuel filter and got a call to say car will not start and I need a new starter motor,
My thoughts are the garage have had the car cranking for too long a time, after fitting new fuel filter as they seemed to struggle to get fuel through and air out,!
The tell me it will crank on the starter 3 times before it will stop cranking, I would have thought if it cranks the starter is ok, but is the any relay the could stop it from cranking after sermon amount of cranking that could be at fault, why would it crank 3 times and no more has anyone got an idea or had this problem as well, please let me no your thoughts and please read my other thread if it helps understand my problems thanks again

Post #283931 9th Dec 2015 9:30 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Is it cranking 3 times, firing and then not catching because theres still air in the fuel line, or is it not firing at all?

Post #283944 9th Dec 2015 11:11 pm
John ler

He's hust told me it's not starting so I take it, that it's only cranking 3 times and just stopping the crank with no start thanks

Post #283945 9th Dec 2015 11:13 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I've had that a few times on cars - crank it over and if it doesn't start straight away, the starter throws out and you try again. Had it my daughters Clio too. A new starter cured it. If they had cranked and cranked they would have burnt the starter out and it would have had different symptoms, like hardly turning at all plus a burning smell I would imagine. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #283946 9th Dec 2015 11:16 pm
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Seems like they have not bled the air out of the fuel system and knackered the starter by trying to crank it over and over to bleed the fuel system. Doesn't sound very professional to me because when they build a new car at the factory they don't have some uninformed chump cranking the thing over and over to try and get it started.

J

Post #283947 9th Dec 2015 11:23 pm
John ler

I'm thinking the same thing car was fine and would crank and start within 2 cranks before, turns out these guys are a member on here . I will put there name on here later . Can't believe what a shower of siht these guys are, I've now read a bit about them, turns out the guy has no proper training and learn he trade not at a garage of any sort but with his dad and a hammer and a spanner, this is what he has told me. Why didn't I just run but with his fancy garage telling me he has all the main dealer diagnostic Equipment that he pays a fortune each year I thought he must have had dealer experience but turns out he has never working in a garage before, 28 years old. And hasn't got a clue if the computer doesn't tell him, . Do other think he has over cranked the car, I did watch him struggle to get fuel out of the filter in a fashion like you would expect a novice to be doing it . Thanks guys

Last edited by John ler on 10th Dec 2015 9:43 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #283955 10th Dec 2015 3:57 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 

That's worrying. There's DIY'ers on here that have changed fuel filters with no bother. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #283965 10th Dec 2015 8:38 am
John ler

Thanks guys, I bought a new starter motor and the morning after I paid for fast delivery, I got a call saying cars ok and ready to go Exclamation bit confused as I've just bought a new starter for my car, my wife phone the garage up, where he said cars all sorted and can be picked up today, the wife said how can that be you said yesterday afternoon it needed a new starter, the guy go's quite and wife thinks he's out phone down , then says I've had enough of this and my hub will gave to deal with this, I'm absolutely ffffing mad by now, one min it needed a trotter body , but still got the fault next needs a turbo, then I ask if they have checked if there's a vacuum leak ( as another garage said no way is it turbo) so they check that befor fitting turbo, then I'm told it needs a starter, I asked for a new fuel filter fitting about 5-6 times but told you don't fit a fuel filter before fitting a turbo, now I am confused I say why!!! No answer he just says that what landrover say, so I say why it's cheapest thing first and I've asked you to do this for 3 bloody weeks and if that's the case why do landrover fit them every other service!!! Same again no answer, finally the filters fitted and ha presto cars fine , nearly £2-3000 down the road and a £35 filter sorted it, he tells me that might not have been what solved it and I say well I think it is, you've fitted new filter and cars fine, he says you or we will never no, so I get my keys and walk out, I'm foooooockec off big style but cars ok, thanks for all you help guys

Post #284284 12th Dec 2015 11:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1