Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > After-market Roof Rails - my two cents - sheared bolt!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black
After-market Roof Rails - my two cents - sheared bolt!

I bought some roof rails from 4x4 Styling on eBay and finally fitted them this week.

There are some excellent how-to threads on here but here's my experience..

I used a trim removal tool to lever up the gulley trims and also to remove the 4 plastic fir-tree plugs. Definitely recommended.

I loosely fitted the cross-bar and placed the whole thing on the roof. I found that the holes in the four feet did not completely line up with the roof mounts and needed some persuasion. Loosely mount the rear two bolts then persuade the front feet to line up - I had to use a wood block and hammer.

To my shame I messed up royally and in fitting one of the rear feet managed to shear off a bolt leaving half of it stuck tight in the mounting bush. I first tried to drill in and use a screw extractor to remove the bolt but even a cobalt drill bit wouldn't touch it. I was worried..

In a eureka moment I removed the rear-most gulley trim (they're only stuck on!) and found that the mounting bush itself is in fact only screwed to the roof. You'll remember that you have to remove two bushes from the front of the roof and re-fit new bushes supplied with the rails? Well, those discarded bushes from the front are exactly the same as the ones fitted under the rear feet - they even have an unused threaded hole inside, covered by a thin layer of plastic. To say that I was relieved is something of an understatement..

So a new bolt from a local garage and success. I hope nobody else is daft enough to do what I did but at least there is a way out if it happens.

Post #278684 17th Oct 2015 8:38 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

You just need to be careful now when you go into multi story car parks, theres one near me thats gives me 50mm clearance and thats without roof rails. Shocked

Post #278694 17th Oct 2015 12:31 pm
hinchy

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Aintree Green

It's the same reason Why I've never fitted roof rails. I wouldn't be able to get in the local tip, which I seem to be going more often. MY13 HSE LUX Aintree Green
MY57 SE Stornoway Grey. Gone
Nissan X Trail
Discovery V8 LPG
Series II Land Rover

Post #278697 17th Oct 2015 12:58 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Good point. I had to get rid of my Disco when they lowered the underground car park at work.. I wonder what the clearance is now, with rails and bars added?
The book says 1.83 metres inc rails - I imagine the curvature of the bars might add to that?

Post #278698 17th Oct 2015 12:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1