« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > How reiable is the freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
guncase

How reiable is the freelander 2

Hi all.
Just found and joined the group,so hello to you all.

I have at the moment a Kia Sorento and want a change.
Thinking of the freelander 2 to buy (not new),to old to go over huge hills and down valleys Sad but do enjoy
caravaning.

Caravan weight is 1500 kg,so need something that can tow that,am I correct in saying the fl 2 can tow
max 2000kg Neutral

My main concern is just how reliable the fl 2 is please.
Are there any commom faults that cost mega bucks to have repaired Confused the Kia Sorento does have a lot of problems with the transfer box and the clutch packs that are in them,Kia tend to blame uneven tyre wear between front and rear tyre sets.

Any similar problems with the fl 2 please.
Don't tend to do many miles,approx 6000 per year,will use for every day driving and towing van.

Any commom issue's before I take the plunge ? .

Forgot to mention am in the UK.

Best wishes .
Baz

Post #24907 29th Jul 2008 2:47 pm
muddywheels

England 

Welcome Very Happy

Had my Fl2 since Sep 2007 and very pleased Thumbs Up

See the following threads for information you requested:-

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1762.html?highlight=reliability

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1934.html?highlight=reliability

Post #24908 29th Jul 2008 3:19 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

The FL2 is not particularly old to know if there are any underlying problems in the long term. Of course, there are some issues but would be covered under warranty anyway. Phil

Post #24911 29th Jul 2008 5:35 pm
guncase

muddywheels wrote:
Welcome Very Happy

Had my Fl2 since Sep 2007 and very pleased Thumbs Up

See the following threads for information you requested:-

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1762.html?highlight=reliability

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic1934.html?highlight=reliability

Hi muddywheels.

Many thanks the links,interesting reading.

Have a couple of Lanrover dealers close by ,so going to visit and have a good look and maybe
get a test drive.
Can't afford to run to brand new tho,around 20 k the limit with trade in of Sorento.

Best wish3es.
Barry

Post #24912 29th Jul 2008 6:15 pm
guncase

phil_wkl wrote:
The FL2 is not particularly old to know if there are any underlying problems in the long term. Of course, there are some issues but would be covered under warranty anyway.

Thanks for reply Phil,are there any issues in particular you are thinking about that may be helpful to me.

Thanks again.
Barry.

Post #24913 29th Jul 2008 6:20 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hi guncase, welcome to the club! The new Freelander 2 has shown to be well constructed and manufactured, as mechanical faults are rare. This is not surprising as Landrover has choosen to select well reputed part manufacturers, and the build quality is at eyes sight with BMW X3 or VW Tiguan.
From reports from owners it seems to be evident that the more electronic components included in the Freely 2 the greater is the chance of electrical glitches. In other words: the GS-versions seem to be more reliable than the HSE version. From reports I conclude that Freely's build after July 2007 seem to have healed most of the starting problems. Besides all this the Freely 2 is a very competitive SUV with hights in ride comfort and quietness.

YF

Post #24916 29th Jul 2008 7:17 pm
jules1967

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame

Hi and welcome on board. I bought our Jan 06 FL2 SE in Jan 07 so similar situation to yourself. Since Jan, we've had the odd electronic niggle - fuel gauge going mad a couple of times and traction reduced warnings from time to time but nothing that affected reliability. If I'm honest, the fact that they lent us a nice top of the line range rover had more influence on us taking it in, that the faults did (the Mrs wanted to play with a vogue!)
Build and quality feel wise, you should find it a step up from the Kia. I run a merc E class and with a few minor exceptions (like the plastic they made the centre console out of) the FL gives it a fair run for its money in the quality stakes. It seems to combine the driving feel of an upmarket GTI with the practicality and solidity of a landrover.
We use ours to tow a horsebox. Loaded up, the weight will be similar to your caravan and we find it very capable, up hill or down dale. 07 Freelander 2 TD4SE Tambora Flame, side steps, privacy glass, mud flaps, boot liner and a tow bar. Ok it's the Wifes but she lets me drive it occasionally - if I've been good!

Post #24920 29th Jul 2008 8:13 pm
phil_wkl

Australia 

I'm only going by the other threads...I'm happy with mine Smile Phil

Post #24925 29th Jul 2008 8:24 pm
highbridgeflyer

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

Out of all the cars that come through our workshop, the FL2 is the one that is seen the least.

Was only having the same conversation with one of our techs the other day, cos he is looking to buy one Thumbs Up

Post #24926 29th Jul 2008 8:49 pm
cyberil

United Kingdom 

The results of the Autoexpress Driver Power Survey came out today - The FL2 came 19th out of 100 and the new Disco no. 2
Details can be foud here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/dr...8/archive/

Well done Land Rover

Post #24928 29th Jul 2008 9:17 pm
Gambba

United Arab Emirates 2008 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The freelander 2 is built extremely well and as said above along as you stay away from the very early models then you are certain to have the best of the bunch.

9000 km's in 5 months and only a noisy fan to be replaced under warranty, so am very very happy with the car. Quality is up there with the best! Once you've tasted GREY you'll never go back!

Post #24938 30th Jul 2008 5:53 am
Dougden

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Hi guncase,

I have driven 8,500 mls. in under 3 months since owning mine and apart from a small niggle with the auto lights, it hasn't missed missed a beat. I have driven "quality" vehicles for years and this is by far the most satisfying.

The only problem I have is keeping it shiney. Black is wonderful when clean but not so when grubby.

You won't find many on this forum that are unhappy Thumbs Up FL2 TD4 XS Santorini

Post #24955 30th Jul 2008 12:59 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have had my FL2 for 3 months and clocked up 4500 miles with no problems other than an annoying knocking noise which seems to have cured itself!

Any car can have problems so it is important not to let one or two troubled FL2's sway your decision as it would seem the other 95% are fine!! My last car, a BMW Coupe, was off the road for a week after just 2 weeks of owning it - and BMW are renowned for reliability - yeah right! Thumbs Up Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #24959 30th Jul 2008 1:17 pm
avtur

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Hi Guncase,

Welcome, you'll see there is much positive feedback already, I can only add to that. I've got one of the first cars on the road, Jan 07, and just about to clock 41k miles in it, it is a brilliant drive! The car has never broken down, it has spent a few days back in the dealers because of electical niggles, and I'm not impressed with the dealer, but the car just makes you smile every time you get in and drive. Just today I've completed a return trip from Stockport to Heathrow and back, 450 miles in 9 hours including a couple of hours of waiting at Heathrow (set off at 3am) if I had to get in the car and repeat the journey now it would still be a pleasure.

I tow a 1450kg van and as you might expect the FL2 copes admirabley, very impressed with stability under tow. (just a heads up at this point, we have a very tame contributor on this forum named Chicken George, he seems to be a great guy BUT he is noted for his reluctance to recognise the advantages of caravans - I'm sure he'll join in this thread soon enough!)

When you're looking at dealers and asking questions mention that you want a towbar, I've got a fixed swan neck and twin electrics, it cost just over £400 fitted through the dealer, The electrics are pretty hi-tech these days so I opted for a dealer fit, some have gone the diy route, I decided to pay the extra for dealer fit to avoid possible warranty problems, its yuor choice which way you go, but it might be a bargaining point with a dealer.

My only issue about reliability relates to how the dealers copes with problems rather than the actual problems, it is possible to have a problem on any car, you want to be sure that IF you have a problem the dealer will make it as painless as possible while they deal with it.

I've read many good comments about the Sorento on caravan forums so wouldn't think to knock it, all I would say is that the driving expereince in the LR2 is 'spot on' you'll love it !!

Post #24963 30th Jul 2008 4:12 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

"his reluctance to recognise the advantages of caravans" Shocked that's an understatement Rolling with laughter At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #24970 30th Jul 2008 5:36 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>