Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander 2 2179 SDE Auto engine stutter problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
El_Crispo

United Kingdom 

Appreciate this is an old thread, but I've been experiencing similar and games with my FL2 and want to know if anyone's got to the bottom of things.

I've a 12 plate FL2 XS with manual gearbox. 27k miles. It's has been in and out of the service centre more times than I care to remember for all manner of random faults. However last year, before the warranty ran out, it started to stutter a little. Went into LR twice and had a few parts replaced (can't remember what but I've got the records). Things seemed to settle down (over the winter) but over the last couple of months it's returned. Reading the posts above, I've just realised that it seems to coincide with the warmer months, with very similar driving conditions - low gear (1st or 2nd) gentle acceleration etc.

Even though the warranty expired I took it back to LR stating that I wanted them to investigate and repair it under 'good will' given they'd had two failed attempts previously. Like others above, they found no fault code and weren't able replicate. They performed an air pass reset and have told me to monitor. To be fair to them, they didn't charge me and the Master Tech seemed keen on me giving him feedback on what conditions are present should it reoccur. Well, two days later and it's back, so i'll be testing their appetite for good will again.

I'm keen to hear about the LR briefing note mentioned above. Can anyone share it so I can discuss it with them she I go back to LR?

Post #268155 26th Jun 2015 9:35 pm
chezqui

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

I have indeed sorted 'my' problem. I put the car in to have the air flow reset as per the bulletin. We went for a test drive and before we had done half a mile the 'technician' told me that I was focusing too much on the problem and that 'they all do that'. It seems he is a psychologist as well.

Then he tried to convince me it was the waste gate. I trained as an aircraft technician so I know a weeny bit about engineering. I know what a waste gate does and when it does it so he didn't manage to convince me.

When he read the LR bulletin he seemed surprised to see that it described the problems exactly and went off to carry out the adjustments. Maybe LR were focusing 'too much' on the problem and all of the customers who aren't at all happy.

Sadly the reset didn't make any difference. The technician told me that I had to do 200 miles to allow the car to learn how I drive. Of course! 200 pathetic and annoying miles later the problem still exists and I was still focusing on it.

What is even more annoying is having to pay for the process. LR said that because it was out of warranty I would have to pay. I pointed out that it wasn't something that had gone wrong or worn out, this is how it left the factory!

Their advice for the next step was to put on a new turbo at my expense. When I asked what would happen if that didn't cure the problem they offered to change something else! A process of elimination rather than intelligent diagnostics.

They wrote on the invoice that they were unable to replicate the problem, even though I had demonstrated it during the test drive. This is because they do not take the car for a test drive, simply rev it up on the ramp.

I have sotred the problem in a roundabout way. I sold it back to them in P/ex for a 2014 FL2. I didn't achieve the price that I could have in the open market but couldn't wait until Autumn to sell it [when the problem goes away] so had to bite the bullet as it were. We are off on holiday and I wasn't sure I could drive it like it was. It was really getting annoying and I was really focusing on it Mr technician. Something I was told not to do!

I love the freely so I figure if I get one from the end of the production it should have the problems sorted. The new one has done 7,000 miles.

Good luck to all of you Disco Sport owners. Apparently there is a new Jaguar engine going into those soon Whistle

:

Post #268175 27th Jun 2015 9:35 am
El_Crispo

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the update Chezqui. I sense your frustration. I'm hoping I don't have to endure the same futile discussions when I next take my LR in.

Post #268235 28th Jun 2015 7:12 pm
Bluestone-Wanderer

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Bali Blue

Mine has been in and had the noisy diff and sticking door lock fixed.

They thought they had fixed the judder but it is still there.

It's going back in on Tuesday. Green Discovery 300tdi Modified,
Green td5 ES Premium "Esme"
Freelander 2 "Phoebe"
Blue Range Rover P38 "Saffi"
West Wales LSR Discovery Owners Club

Post #268484 1st Jul 2015 7:28 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12