Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Anyone fitted a K & N Air Filter to their TD4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue
Anyone fitted a K & N Air Filter to their TD4?

Just wondering if anyone has replaced the standard air filter with a K & N Filter on their TD4? If so, is it worth the £45 or so? My understanding is that the K & N is less restrictive and, more importantly, can be cleaned and is re-usable over and over again. K & N do claim it also helps performance.

I've searched the forum but can't find any earlier posts on this subject so, if I have missed any, apologies Embarassed 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #123248 11th Dec 2011 11:01 am
geoff.c

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Izmir Blue
K&N

Just my opinion, but unless you are continually exploring the upper end of the rev range on your FL2, you will gain little or no advantage. I usually change up at about 3000rpm, and cruising legally, see not much above 2000rpm. The standard air filter, is capable of admitting far more air than the engine usually demands. Some petrol engined cars can be heard to "bark" through the induction when K & N or similar equipped, so they sound faster.
Race cars or bikes, that are driven mostly wide open, derive most advantage from a K & N, where the reduced restriction really helps. I have seen lots of K & N filters fitted to light aircraft, these are run at minimum 65% to 75% power just to remain in level flight, so again the lack of restriction at the upper end of output helps.

Post #123260 11th Dec 2011 12:31 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Don't do it, it draws more air than the engine can cope with and could make it over fuel.

Post #123261 11th Dec 2011 12:47 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Don't see the point on a Freelander, yes they are less restrictive but the car doesn't need to breath more -unless you have chipped it ?

I've got one on my bike to supplement , Lambda-less ecu map, a power commander fuel module and cat less baffle-less exhaust system . You have to oil the new filter for it to work, and cleaning the cotton filter is a very messy job before you re-oil it at service time.

other issue is stated in the other posts you more get more induction noise. desirable on a sports bike but in a passenger car ?

Don't think it would pay for itself over the time you will own your car, on the plus side you do get rather nice stickers free with every one Thumbs Up 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #123263 11th Dec 2011 1:22 pm
JST

France 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Narvik Black

I put one on my TD5 Defender but I used to drive it through all sorts of crud and dust so over the 10 years I owned it I definitely got my money back. However, it did create more induction noise (not really relevant on a Defender) and I don't think it would be worth it on a FL. John
07 HSE Narvick Black
Land Rover Series One
Triumph Rocket 111 (sadly gone!)

Post #123279 11th Dec 2011 3:24 pm
RegG

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Biscay Blue

Thanks to everyone for the replies - most helpful and confirm my own thoughts on these filters. Thumbs Up 2010 HSE TD4 auto, Biscay Blue, Almond Leather, facelift front and rear, detachable towbar, front & rear mudflaps, bib spoilers, clear high level brake light, smooth rear wiper, colour coded door handles.

Previous Land Rovers:
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6 in Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200tdi 3 door in blue

Post #123282 11th Dec 2011 4:32 pm
redlabel

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

landy19840 wrote:
Don't do it, it draws more air than the engine can cope with and could make it over fuel.

What!? It's the engine that draws the air, not the filter.
Don't think a K&N will have any value on our cars. Like said on petrol\turbo engines it can help the engine breathe easier on high revs.
As for the possibility to clean the filter I don't see why you would go trough all the hassel of this incl the oil and crap when the price of a new oem filter is next to nothing.
Also comming from the VAG community I know the damage the oil from these filters can do if not carefull. FL2, TD4 HSE
The flaming Orange!

Post #125931 3rd Jan 2012 10:02 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1