« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Freelander 2 very dim dashboard lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
popharris

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Sumatra Black
Freelander 2 very dim dashboard lights

Does anybody know why the dashboard illumination on my Freelander 2 should be so poor?

It is just about OK when its pitch black outside but is otherwise hopeless and virtually impossible to read. Although the dimmer/brightness toggle switch does work it simply results in the dash lights being either off/dimmed completely or (on the max setting) just about acceptable. They've been like this since I got the car and LRover really don't want to know and have been negative in their response.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.[/b]

Post #236638 2nd Oct 2014 6:29 pm
taztastic

England 

I would imagine that any lamp failures would be obvious, so, going by the age of the vehicle it is quite possible that the lamps have burnt over time and the light output diminished as a result.
In honesty, I don't know where the lamps are located, not sure if anyone has attempted an upgrade with LEDs?

Welcome on board Pop, I am sure someone will be along with a knowledge of locations etc, I'll have a quick look over too Thumbs Up

Have a read at this thread. http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4614.html...oard+light

Post #236639 2nd Oct 2014 6:34 pm
taztastic

England 

Having read the thread it seems they are already led? Confused

Have you cleaned the binnacle screen Laughing

Post #236641 2nd Oct 2014 6:41 pm
popharris

Freelander 2 very dim dashboard lights

Thanks for your input and comments. However, I have to say that the dash lamps have always been this dim from when the vehicle was only just over a year old (when I first acquired it) and they haven't gotten any worse since then. I did wonder whether the brightness/dimming toggle switch is not set up as it should be (bit like a domestic dimmer switch) but I'm really clutching at straws.

And I have no idea whether the dash lights are LEDs or not.

I see from other posts on other forums that I am not alone with this problem but as yet nobody can find out why this should be or what to do about it. L.Rover dealers and mechanics simply shrug their shoulders and say that if its OK when its really dark then what's the problem?

Hopefully, some kind soul will come up with an answer.

Thanks to all.

Post #236655 2nd Oct 2014 9:42 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I dont think its a fault it is just the way the displays are. Personally I hated this type of black on green background display as they are very poor to see in daylight (also reminds me of a 70's calculator!) . Thankfully the 2013 update sorted this out with clear white text.

Out of interest does the text stay white at night? Does it cause a distraction being so bright? I only ask as the displays on my X3 are white but when its dark they turn orange which is a really nice feature. Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #237203 8th Oct 2014 12:07 pm
EYorkshire

Hi popharris, you will have to do a comparison with another Freelander to see if your car dash display is the same, or you are expecting something brighter but not attainable. I personally find it quite acceptable with not liking a bright display at night.

Post #237205 8th Oct 2014 12:53 pm
popharris

Thanks for your input. Yes, I have compared my beast with somebody else's (but theirs was a later reg) and mine are definitely "dull". They are OK to see when everything else is pitch black but if it's early evening then they might as well be off . The brightness toggle switch makes hardly any difference and this is where, if there is a fault, the problem lies. It's just getting somebody to seriously look at it from LR so I will badger them a bit more. Failing that I'll just have to put up with it as I've done for the past five years.

Post #237256 8th Oct 2014 11:04 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Isn't there just two wires going to the dimmer switch that regulates the voltage sent to the instrument lamps to control the brightness? If so, couldn't you just temporarily connect those wires together (effectively bypassing the voltage resistor) to see whether you get full brightness on the lamps? If you did get brighter lamps then that would confirm that the dimmer switch is faulty. Unless you have a batch of faulty bulbs, that will be as bright as they are going to get unless you fitted higher wattage bulbs.

Post #237269 9th Oct 2014 11:39 am
popharris

Interesting. I'll give this whirl on my return from holiday and see what happens.

Thanks - much obliged.

Post #237272 9th Oct 2014 11:58 am
ronp

Scotland 

Must say, in daylight hours I find my dashboard lighting very dim with not much difference when adjusting.
However, I've not really driven in the dark yet, but I'm anticipating all will be well when I do. FL2 now gone and have a couple of items left for sale:-

Brodit active iPhone holder + Brodit dash clip,
Bluetooth Music Streaming Module.

Post #237274 9th Oct 2014 12:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1