« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > HP PUMP LEAKING OIL
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dewaldb

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Zermatt Silver
HP PUMP LEAKING OIL

I would apreciate if someone can shed some light on the removal of the high pressure fuel pump.

To give some backround to my problem.... I have had the dreaded clutch slip as discribed by many on this forum. I noticed oil dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing and presumed that this must be the from the main bearing situated behind.
After further inspection iItraced the oil leak to the hp pump.

I have been to the dealer to obtain the gasket in order to replace. Upon removing the hp pump i noticed that there was not a gasket situated between the pump and the block. I did however notice that there is a o ring in the hp pump which looks like the cause of the oil leak. At this time I fitted the gasket and replaced the pump in position, cleaned the cluch with brake cleaner and vuala.....no more cluch slip!!

This however was short lived as the cluch started up again after a week. I asked the local land rover dealership if
I could purchase the o ring and was told thst this is not a loose item and only came with the complete pump. I obtained a o ring from a company that produces bearings, fitted to the hp pump, cleaned the gasket and refitted again yesterday, only to discover that it is still leaking today

Should i not have fitted the gasked again or might the oring not be the correct size. The oring that I replaced was the same thickness(3mm) but 1mm smaller inside diameter.

Have anyone experienced the same problem and managed to resolve?

Many thanks

Dewald

Post #235048 17th Sep 2014 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
3disco

United Kingdom 

I think I would try it without the gasket as it would allow a higher clamping force against the O ring.

Post #235124 18th Sep 2014 2:14 pm
dewaldb

So after removing the airbox to do a decent inspection it is not the hp pump leaking but rather some sort of senor situated on the engine block behind the oil funnel.

Does anyone have an idea what this is.....i presume this is a sensor as it has a electric wire and clip on. Looks like it has thread going to the engine block.

Post #235158 18th Sep 2014 8:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
alex_pescaru

Take a picture, if possible, for us to understand better and properly suggest what it is...

Post #235168 18th Sep 2014 9:37 pm
dewaldb

Hi Alex,

Top view to give you an idea of where on engine.

Now see in the bottom centre of this pic, there is a sensor type clip fitting .Would make sence to me to be something like a temperature sensor as it clips of a brass like probe that is bolted to the engine. I have noticed the most oil in this area and can only think that this fitting can possibly be the culprit...although I cant be certain?

Post #235174 18th Sep 2014 10:33 pm
alex_pescaru

If you referring to the tip pointed below, then that's the tip of the cylinder 4 glow plug.
But my opinion is that the leak is from somewhere else....
It seems that even the pipes from the above are oily on a certain section...

Post #235176 18th Sep 2014 10:43 pm
dewaldb

Exactly what I am reffering to !!! Thanks Alex, at least I now know what I am looking at!!

Post #235177 18th Sep 2014 10:48 pm
alex_pescaru

I would give the zone a good clean and degrease (it's easier with a brake cleaner spray) and watch often and carefully where the oil appears...

Post #235179 18th Sep 2014 10:51 pm
dewaldb

So it seems that the oil is pushing from the inlet manifold. Big Cry

Had the inlet removed a couple of weeks ago to remove the swirl flaps and. Did not replace the seals Evil or Very Mad

Landy booked for nexr week at a local garage.

Thanks Alex!

Post #235312 20th Sep 2014 2:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1