Home > Technical > Freelander 2 Low Fuel Problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Towner

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black
Freelander 2 Low Fuel Problem

FL2, 2007, 2.2TD HSE
After shamelessly hijacking Foggy19's thread I though I would post my own, apologies Foggy19.

My FL2 developed a fault that felt like someone was flicking a switch on and off (1/4 sec) when you were accelerating. Felt like an electric fault as it was so 'clean' and not juddery like lack of fuel. Having followed this problem every time I get in the car to gather evidence, it would seem that it is a fuel problem....
As soon as the fuel is low, ie light on, and the car is going up a slope, it will act as described above. The fuel tank does not even have to be really empty. It is being starved of fuel when the tank is low but as soon as you put some fuel in it it goes back to normal operation. The garage has changed the fuel filter (supposedly!!) but no change. Any ideas or experiences similar??

Post #223359 28th Apr 2014 9:53 pm
ad210358

England 

I had a similar problem, when accelerating, just as though someone had turned the ignition off, then on again. It would throw you forwards then throw you back in the seat again but the fuel light was never on, no codes were ever stored.

Post #223380 28th Apr 2014 10:39 pm
Towner

What was the solution!!

Post #223395 29th Apr 2014 7:19 am
FL2Printzern

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

ad210358: Intermittent fault on the crank sensor will give you exactly the symptoms you are describing here. It is easy to replace and not that expensive. The really strange thing was that I had no DTC! This happend maybe once a week and allways within the first minutes of driving. It lasted for maybe half a second and then everything was back to normal for a week or so. replaced the crank sensor and I havent had this issue for at last a year now.

Post #223396 29th Apr 2014 7:28 am
alex_pescaru

It must me looked with the fact in mind that this happens only when the tank is near empty.
The electrical pump in the tank is for moving fuel from one part of the saddle to the other.
Maybe it doesn't function anymore and therefore, you have some fuel on one part and no fuel on the other.
The instruments shows the average and you see that you have fuel, but on the side with the pick-up there is almost none.
Check if the tank pump is functioning properly.

Post #223401 29th Apr 2014 8:04 am
ad210358

England 

FL2Printzern wrote:
ad210358: Intermittent fault on the crank sensor will give you exactly the symptoms you are describing here. It is easy to replace and not that expensive. The really strange thing was that I had no DTC! This happend maybe once a week and allways within the first minutes of driving. It lasted for maybe half a second and then everything was back to normal for a week or so. replaced the crank sensor and I havent had this issue for at last a year now.

But the Crank Sensor will leave a code, mine didn't, Relucter Ring was failing hence no code.

Post #223410 29th Apr 2014 9:30 am
oznut

Australia 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Alaska White

Though not my freelander, I had a similar issue with my other car, a Honda Odyssey, on a slope with a 1/4 tank fuel or below, car was jerky on acceleration .. It even stalled on a slightly steep slope.. Anything above a1/4 tank, no probs.. $700 AUD later after the fuel pump was replaced, problem was fixed.. So it may be the fuel pump... Good luck folks ...

Regards
Oznut

Post #223413 29th Apr 2014 11:00 am
Kabous1

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Ipanema Sand

I had the same symptoms and no error codes logged.

Cleaned the Crank Position Sensor and thus far I haven't had any symptoms again. Thumbs Up

Have a look here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic9803.html

Post #223419 29th Apr 2014 12:43 pm
Towner

Thank you to all that replied. Will have a chat with my local garage man and put forward your pointers. Personally think it must be to with the pump, hope not as the crank sensor sounds cheaper!
It is weird though, as it only does it when the fuel is low and more noticably on a slope.

Post #223505 29th Apr 2014 9:21 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1