« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Picture comparison - MY13 Xenon & Haolgen lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pcheaven

United Kingdom 
Picture comparison - MY13 Xenon & Haolgen lights

OK, so my 56 plate and 60 plate had terrible lights, and I upgraded the bulbs in both cars.
However, my MY13 was a different story, the factory fit Philips HB3 Halogen bulbs in the new lenses are very good.

Still I wanted Xenons.

Below is a picture of the beam pattern, the one on the left is Halogen, with the Xenon on the right.

Yep, the xenon is better, but not by as much as some would lead you to believe.
Even on the open road, the xenon is clearly brighter with a sharper whiter beam, but
it is not a monumental improvement.

I wonder how the MY13 halogen lights would perform with an uprated bulb.....

Click image to enlarge

Post #223170 26th Apr 2014 10:42 pm
taztastic

England 

The idea of the picture is good, in practice it would be better to show two separate and distinct images.
The light 'spread' from HID is superior to the standard tungsten lamp. Incidentally Xenon is a misnomer, both can be filled with xenon gas. One has a tungsten filament, with a relatively large focal spot, the HID has a shorter arc length and a more precise focal spot. The smaller focal spot allows more light to be 'projected' out of the fitting and more accurately onto the road, coupled with the fact that HID has approx 3000 lumens of light power against 2000 for a good halogen there will be a marked difference.
Having said all that, the fact that you are stating that in use the halogens are good is a step in the right direction as in the past they have received little praise.
I wonder what Land Rover have up there sleeve with the 'Discovery' I have seen comments that it has 'laser' headlights, perhaps a marketing hype, perhaps some clever led?

Post #223183 27th Apr 2014 9:58 am
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

For anybody looking at upgrades please either go for upgrafe bulbs like nightbreakers or fit OE xenons. dont buy HiD aftermarket kits they are grossley unsuitable, it cost me good money to make the mistake. Aftermarket HID Xenon bulbs have the 'burn' spot of the element in the wrong situation for the OE reflector and give a streaky blinding pencil beam.
Sorry for any members who see me repeat this comment
Regards from Fred.
.9 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #223197 27th Apr 2014 1:29 pm
david426

United States 2011 LR2 i6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji White

Looking at your picture in my opinion shows a good bit of difference between the two, xenon making it easier to see

Post #223213 27th Apr 2014 4:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1