« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Starting problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
meatloaf

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Starting problems

Hi anyone out there who can help me ? My 08 HSE Auto has developed a starting problem, Fist showed itself as when key in and button pressed nothing, then press again, nothing then 3rd time start. Then it showed it self as Key in Button press, engine turned fast then slow then fast and started. then one time key in, button press engine turned for a few time then stopped, press button again and it started. I have a new Battery fitted and the voltage is reading 12.5V at Batt, when running voltage at Batt is around 13.5 to 14.3v, I have fitted the extra earth lead some time back form Batt Neg to engine as well..any Clews out there ??

Post #222862 23rd Apr 2014 1:11 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

When you say "button pressed nothing" do you mean that literally - nothing at all happened - or that the 'ignition' came on but the starter didn't turn? If the ignition did come on were there any messages on the dash?

If literally nothing it sounds like a problem with the fob dock or starter module. If the ignition came on but the starter didn't turn then probably the starter motor or solenoid.

"engine turned fast then slow then fast" and "engine turned for a few time then stopped" both sound more like starter/solenoid.

Post #222871 23rd Apr 2014 3:18 pm
meatloaf

sorry Pab, yes key in then press button all lights come on and nothing, maybe a click from starter, did notice led display has 4 blanks where --:-- Mpg and trips are when button press and no response. Charged my battery just to confirm that's ok, car has started today ok so far, did this as short runs most of the time and car parked up as I use a bike for work when weather ok, I have heard FL2 can drain batteries for many reasons and it needs to be top to avoid strange things with ECU's and so on. I too think it could be a lazy starter but did not want to spend £200 for a simple fault, and when it does start it spins engine over fine.

Post #222898 23rd Apr 2014 7:42 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

If your trips are resetting then it will most likely need the software upgrade. Main dealer normally charge about half hours labour for this.

Look here;

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic18838.html

Post #222899 23rd Apr 2014 7:49 pm
zetec

Scotland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Software update cured same problem on mine.

Post #222904 23rd Apr 2014 9:24 pm
meatloaf

Thanks all..so far, The trips have never re set....I only get --;-- while start problem/during crank but as soon as it start all is normal. I have charged my Batt and residual Voltage in car during run to work was 14.3v higher than normal as its around 13.8 - 14v, Car has started ok so far, Im starting to think my batt was a little low, but I find this hard to undrstand as I checked it at first experiance of problem and it was 12.4v and batt is only 8 month old this should be fine to crank a 2.2 ...or is it ?

Post #222921 24th Apr 2014 8:15 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The fact that the car starts OK on a second or third attempt suggests to me that it's not the battery. I'm still thinking starter or solenoid, but it may be something else. Kits are available for reconditioning starters - a search wil find more information.

Post #222926 24th Apr 2014 9:29 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

TECHNICAL BULLETIN

Service Mgr
X
Warranty Workshop Body Shop Parts XX
Poor Starting/Stumble on Start-up – Repair Procedure
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
LR2 (LF) VIN: 8H000212 – 8H051069 Model Year: 2008
CONDITION SUMMARY:
ENGINE HARD TO START/STUMBLES ON START-UP
Situation: The engine may be intermittently hard to start or may stumble slightly after starting. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate. Upon investigation with IDS, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0087, P0089, P0171, P0174 or P0628 may be stored.
NOTE: Performing this Repair Procedure on VINs between 8H000212-8H051069 will also correct the concern addressed in Service Bulletin LTB00093.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of the above issue, follow the Repair Procedure outlined below.
CAUTION: Land Rover IDS and the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply are required.
Land Rover IDS DVD 109 Patch File 4 Midtronics PSC550 Vehicle Power Supply
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.
O

Post #222929 24th Apr 2014 10:45 am
meatloaf

Thanks for replies, Used a midtronics on car and all results were good,Battery, no drain or loads, checked every possible cause inc relay ect all good. only possible left is starter motor, so I have changed the starter now and will feed back on issue in a few days if problems has gone or still around. Thanks all

Post #223010 25th Apr 2014 9:08 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1