Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Freelander Headrest from Focus?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
QUERCUS

2007 Freelander 2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Freelander Headrest from Focus?

I was standing at the bus stop when my eyes wandered into a Ford Focus. To my chock the rear seat headrests looked exactly the same as those in the new Freelander. Can it be that this premium brand shares such crucial interior components with one of the most pedestrian of cars?

Does anyone know what other main interior components are shared with the Focus/Mondeo (switches etc.)?

http://www.ford.fi/images2005/cmax-04.jpg

Q

Post #511 28th Jul 2006 6:20 am
will

Belgium 
Re: Freelander Headrest from Focus?

QUERCUS wrote:
I was standing at the bus stop when my eyes wandered into a Ford Focus. To my chock the rear seat headrests looked exactly the same as those in the new Freelander. Can it be that this premium brand shares such crucial interior components with one of the most pedestrian of cars?

Does anyone know what other main interior components are shared with the Focus/Mondeo (switches etc.)?

http://www.ford.fi/images2005/cmax-04.jpg

Q

Being part of the same group it seems perfectly normal to me, further it wouldn't surprise me at all that the new Ford Focus 4x4 gets the same drivetrain (or simplier version of it) of the Freelander. will
MY01 Td4 Steptronic 5 drs SE Epsom green

Post #512 28th Jul 2006 6:56 pm
QUERCUS

I understand the benefits of component sharing, but why do they share such obvious and visible components as headrests? A premium brand such as Land Rover should distance itself from the cheapest Ford models. Does anyone know if there are more interior details that are shared between the new Freelander and the Focus/Mondeo models? The Freelander would be my first Land Rover and this issue is of importance in my decisionmaking.

Last edited by QUERCUS on 31st Jul 2006 7:16 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #513 30th Jul 2006 11:42 am
simon

United Kingdom 

Does it really matter ??

And to honest, I doubt the design of the seat was built around the Focus head rest Wink Now that would be silly Shocked

Post #514 30th Jul 2006 6:03 pm
will

Belgium 

QUERCUS wrote:
I understand the benefits of component sharing, but why do they share such obvious and visible components as headrests? A premium brand such as Land Rover should distance itself from the ceapest Ford models. Does anyone know if there are more interior details that are shared between the new Freelander and the Focus/Mondeo models? The Freelander would be my first Land Rover and this issue is of importance in my decisionmaking.

Hi Quercus, if you have a problem with such a detail as an headrest I'm afraid you will have to check for something else as I noticed that the windscreenwipers are the same as on the Mondeo (made by Bosch though ....) Confused (Not to mention the tires, saw the same make even on a Lada, imagin...) will

Post #515 30th Jul 2006 6:57 pm
QUERCUS

will wrote:
Hi Quercus, if you have a problem with such a detail as a headrest I'm afraid you will have to check for something else

I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm sure we all hope the interior will be as much uniquely Land Rover as possible. I repeat my original question regarding interior component sharing with Focus/Mondeo; does anybody know which main components are shared?

Post #517 30th Jul 2006 8:28 pm
K1W1

Of course there will be a lot of component sharing between the Freelander and other Ford Group products. This is the reality of the 21st Century "cheap at all costs" mentality.
If you want everything to be truely unique are you prepared to pay at least double what the current asking price of a Freelander 2 is for one?
I guess that you will never be a Lexus buyer either seeing as they use many obvious Toyota parts in their cabins. Would you buy a Mercedes car knowing that humble Mercedes Vans use identical switchgear? The list goes on because its todays reality.

Post #518 31st Jul 2006 1:55 pm
QUERCUS

Oh dear. This is getting out of hands... I just posted a simple query on which interior parts are shared and now we have an open war Pro-Share vs. Anti-Share. As I didn't get my answer, I'll stop posting in this thread; apparently it just throws fuel on the flames.

Post #519 31st Jul 2006 2:00 pm
will

Belgium 

QUERCUS wrote:
Oh dear. This is getting out of hands... I just posted a simple query on which interior parts are shared and now we have an open war Pro-Share vs. Anti-Share. As I didn't get my answer, I'll stop posting in this thread; apparently it just throws fuel on the flames.

Hi quercus,

No need to stop posting in this thread after your today's input, it's milder than your first one where you said that such futile details are of importance for your decision whether to buy a FL2 or not . After all, since you will be the driver you won't see the headrests anyway ?? (If the FL2 drives as good if not much better than the FL1 you wouldn't know what you missed if you went elsewhere, great car to drive. Very Happy Very Happy ) will

Post #521 31st Jul 2006 7:34 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

and don't forget...

by using parts sharing in FL1, you ended up driving a LR with the same engine as the MG TF Smile no wonder it sounded perky - but not very quick Shocked

Post #523 1st Aug 2006 11:54 am
K1W1

simon wrote:
and don't forget...

by using parts sharing in FL1, you ended up driving a LR with the same engine as the MG TF Smile no wonder it sounded perky - but not very quick Shocked

After all in the past one could have purchased a Porsche (924) fitted with what was in reality an Audi light truck engine. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post #524 1st Aug 2006 12:10 pm
pelyma

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I think you will probably see more Volvo parts than Mondeo, look at the switches on a D3 and you will get the idea. Remember Mondeos are rarer than BMW 3 series!

Post #526 9th Aug 2006 1:45 pm
oliver77

Wales 

Haven't seen any Volvo switches on a Discovery (mores the pity)
I noticed the Ford Transit Connect interior light on the Freelander. Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto Stornoway with Ebony and xenons was on order now cancelled.

Disco 3 HSE TDV6 Auto 2007 Model going soon

Post #1341 17th Jan 2007 4:30 pm
Tim in Scotland

United Kingdom 

Look at the positive side........................... imagine how much more F2 would cost if LR DIDN'T raid the Fords parts selection box and had to have them made for just LR. Don't forget that Ford Mondeos and Focus's are highly praised for the quality and clarity of their parts.........
Thank you lucky stars it doesn't have the acres of small fiddly switches that modern BMW's have, or the horrendous iDrive.
Also will the next generation Focus or Mondeo not be based on the F2 floor pan? How can carbon have a footprint, it has no feet?
Now driving - RRE Coupe Dynamic Lux Auto with Plus pack, Fuji White, Ebony, SD4 with tow pack
Gone - 2010MY FFRR TDv8 Stornoway and Ivory, Privacy - the pace of a TDv8 RRS, the incomparable grace of a Range Rover
Gone but will be missed- RRS Tdv8 HSE Stornoway Grey with Ebony Leather
Gone (only a little missed) RRS Tdv6 2.7SE Giverny Green/Aspen
Defender 90 County HT in Epsom Green

Post #1342 17th Jan 2007 4:59 pm
simon

United Kingdom 

And does it really matter if parts are shared when it makes sense ?

Probably been said before, but most of the vehicle is 'manufactured' outside of LR by contract... LR get the bits and put it together.

Most 'bits' are of course to LR design and spec, but some are not or modified.

Post #1346 17th Jan 2007 8:47 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>