« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My FL2 Story Part 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue
My FL2 Story Part 3

Just 2 weeks to go until I part company with my FL2 and despite placing an order for an X3 on 1st October last year it seems it won't arrive on time - looks like i am going to be without either car for 1 to 2 weeks although BMW have said they might be able to sort me a demonstrator nearer the time. I am counting the days until the X3 arrives and will post some pics etc so you can see why i made the decision to leave LR - hopefully some of the tech in the X3 will arrive on the new 'baby disco' or whatever it will be called and I will of course be looking at it in 3 years time when the lease on the X3 runs out, some of the features the X3 has include-

• Keyless entry and start as well as keyless locking (hold finger on top of door handle to lock)
• Electric tailgate
• LED angel eyes and adaptive xenons and highbeam assistance
• Huge boot which includes sliding rails, detachable cargo nets, collapsible box, side net and side band (ideal for bottles etc)
• Heated front and rear seats and heated steering wheel
• 9” infotainment screen for satnav with live traffic updates, numerous viewing options (including 3d), music through hard drive or usb input with cover art displayed on screen, full instruction manual viewable on screen, ability to run vehicle check up that checks oil levels, tyre pressures etc.
• BMW Live Assistance – vehicle has its own SIM card so can make contact with BMW for breakdown assistance, booking a service or if you want to find a particular attraction / hotel etc – BMW will even input the destination on yoursatnav at their end for you!
• 8 speed auto and stop start promises 50mpg
• Huge electric tilt / slide sunroof with electric blind
• Centre armrest with PROPER storage
• 5 years servicing for £425

And all this came in cheaper than a FL2 Dynamic!! Now - 2017 BMW X3 M Sport Carbon Black
Gone - 2014 BMW X3 M Sport Space Grey, faultless!
Gone - 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Bali Blue with xenons
Gone - 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Rimini Red with bodykit

Post #218221 27th Feb 2014 11:26 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

sounds like a no brainer

Never looked at the X3 so might do when I eventually do

Post #218222 27th Feb 2014 11:33 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Agreed Nick Thumbs Up
I wouldn't touch a BMW with a barge pole either Whistle Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #218225 28th Feb 2014 1:07 am
Tradewind 35

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue
Beamer bilge

No doubt the X3 has appeal - just not to me.
Hope you get a good one Shilen but nonetheless return to the LR fold soon.
I have a different set of priorities from you for sure - I definitely don't want any of those electrical technical widgets you fancy - I suppose a bigger boot is the only thing from your list I would like - the armrest on the Landy with the little cup holder space below works fine for me.
What I do respect the Freely for is not the technical clobber but the off road capability which I am fairly certain is significantly better than the Beamer... bet the X3 would be a stick in the mud, unlike my little mudplugger
[/img]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #218259 28th Feb 2014 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Yep, Tradewind is right. The real difference isn't in the gadgets and gimmicks, it's in the core capabilities of the cars. X3 is a road car, FL2 has genuine off-road capability. If that capability doesn't matter to you, fine, but it's what I bought an FL2 for. I still wouldn't touch the X3, even if it is cheaper and has more gimmicks, bacuse the capability of the FL2 is more important!

Post #218263 28th Feb 2014 2:02 pm
Olly SD4 HSE

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I like the X3 its a great car, I looked at them when a got my Saab & my Freelander.

I will never forget pushing my neighbour of his drive in the snow in his X5 which my Saab in summer tryes managed easily. Thats when I realised the BMW X series have their limitations, great road cars though! Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Santorini Black called "Olly" my name is Mike!

Post #218265 28th Feb 2014 3:07 pm
shilen

I have had Freelander 2's for six years and never been off road or had the need to thus why I have gone down the X3 route - I know the FL2 is more than capable offroad but if I don't go offroad what is the point? Whilst I do my 15000 miles a year on tarmac I might as well do it in the luxury of an X3 Thumbs Up

Post #218266 28th Feb 2014 3:08 pm
Olly SD4 HSE

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I think the current X3 has come a long way from the first version and a lot of your comments are valid especially if you stay on tarmac.

It will be intersting to hear your X3 comments after 6 months ownership.

Another neighbour used to worship his Lexus RX400H but now is a Disco convert, we all like different cars for different reasons.

For example I may have gone X3 over a TD4 FL2 but as I went SD4 the FL2 suited me better.

I honestly hope you love your X3 Thumbs Up Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Santorini Black called "Olly" my name is Mike!

Post #218271 28th Feb 2014 3:26 pm
shilen

I hope it does too!

When I had my first Freelander 2 back in 2008 everyone was laughing and taking the mick saying it was the worst thing i could ever do and it was nice to prove them wrong. A few people have said in the last twelve months its really comfy but sounds like a tractor though...

Ironically my car history suggests that i am abit like noahs arc, i had a fiesta (FORD), then another fiesta (FORD), then an astra (VAUXHALL), then a vectra (VAUXHALL), then a 3 series saloon (BMW), then a 3 series coupe (BMW), then a FL2 (LR), then another FL2 (LR). Lets see if BMW can keep me for a 2nd innings. Rolling with laughter

Post #218282 28th Feb 2014 5:34 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

The difference between a BMW and a Freelander
I have personally pulled"( with the freelander) a X3 and a X5 back onto the road up here in snow and ice
BMW has the toys, Landrover has the ability simples !! Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #218341 1st Mar 2014 10:25 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I have a hatred for the X3, X5, Q3 and Q5 for the same reasons.

I test drove the first generation X3, then the latest one and also the Q5.

Now don't get me wrong, the new X3 drove well and had lots of toys, and being honest just sitting in it did feel more advanced than the FL2.

But, and it is a massive but, I bought a 4x4 to have that nice comfortable high up driving position and it is ideal for towing.

The X3 and Q5 to quote the salesman "Don't they handle fantastically" Both salesman were gobsmacked when I said they handle like Censored .

Then I explained. An FL2 handles like it should, a 4x4. The X3 and Q5 are trying to handle like sports cars and have rock hard suspension. Which is turn wrecks tyres in less than 10,000 miles.

They way I looked at it, the X3 handled like a badly handling 3 Series touring and the Q5 like a bad handling A4 Avant.

BMW and Audi have made a big mistake. If they are going to build an SUV, make it drive like one and don't try to make it drive like a conventional car. Because it isn't.

Also, if you get 2mm of snow, your screwed! Very Happy Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #218745 6th Mar 2014 11:56 am
SOG

Germany 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Aintree Green

Laughing Mav71. I totally agree mate and I should know, I live over here.

Thats the only reason I hate driving to work in the winter.Blummin Audi,s,Mercs,VW and every type of BMW you can name stuck at weird angles on the side of the road. Muppets with expensive and nicely designed cars,where the only thing that does work properly are the 4 way warning lights. Mr. Green

Even with a winter tyre law over here,they still have major problems driving in 2 cm,s of snow. Laughing Chaos. Audi,Merc,VW,Porsche,BMW and Opel.When it comes to going 4x4 they are all limited.(about 2 inches of snow or mud). Wink

Post #218748 6th Mar 2014 12:45 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1