Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Selecting seats on a flight in advance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Vueling are a great budget airline, I've booked flight from Milan to Barca with them next week, you can pay extra not to have anyone sitting next to you Rolling with laughter 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #219147 10th Mar 2014 8:44 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

I've heard a few odd things about Emirates recently, especially flying out of Dubai. Note that rich locals always fly BA! All airlines overbook, but it's common practice to offer some sort of incentive to surplus travellers - an upgrade on a different flight or even cash.. If the flight starts or ends in the EU don't you have a legal right to compensation nowadays?

Post #219341 12th Mar 2014 9:45 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Not heard of that when I did EU law Past Master. Common sense would suggest there is no legal right to compensation per se but everyone can seek legal advice in some form to ascertain their rights and possibility of compensation etc. Each case/situation is judged on its own facts.

Crucial EU rights I encountered in my studies were free movement of workers and free movement of goods between member states - with certain derogations.

I remember all those stranded passengers a few years ago when the volcano erupted and stopped almost every flight in Europe (my friend was one of them) and hotels and shops put all their prices up to seize the moment. This was before I studied EU Law but I asked the lecturer who taught it (proper boffin on EU Law) and he said that they can do what they like, it is not a matter for EU Law at all.

Realistically, I knew that would be the answer but thought I would clutch at some straws as my friend was stranded and being ripped off Rolling Eyes LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #219343 12th Mar 2014 10:18 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

You are entitled to compensation if your flight is delayed (if the airline is at fault). It applies to all flights to, from or within EU. See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays#whatcounts
Edit:
Oops - just rechecked. Only applies to EU airlines. Moral - don't fly Emirates!

Post #219558 14th Mar 2014 11:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Makes sense. I have to get special travel insurance for my holiday because of my epilepsy. Most insurers won't cover pre-existing conditions but the one through Epilepsy Action does.

Edit: It says on that link that if it departs from an EU airport, you can claim regardless of the airline. I would read the ruling of the ECJ if I wasn't tied up with revision for the interviewing and advising exam this Sunday Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #219559 14th Mar 2014 11:32 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That seems to be right - fly out with Emirates, and back with BA! Good luck with the exam.

Post #219603 15th Mar 2014 6:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12