Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Common Known Faults
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Smilie Monkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black

Thanks Fred.

I'll run through those options.

Do you have any idea of the cost of a new Turbo vs reconditioning my own?

Jo

Post #226333 4th Jun 2014 4:14 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

Hi, sorry but no idea if costs of Freelie Turbo.
My last dealings were for a 2010 Zafira 1.9 turbo which is slightly smaller yet it still has variable geometry. Mine had the top knocked off and the arbor bent, they did a full rebuild inc new shaft, bearings an new top case and charged me about £235.
Hope this helps, kind regards from Fred.
. 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #226339 4th Jun 2014 5:34 pm
ad210358

England 

Rough guide

http://www.turbodynamics.co.uk/shop/753546...-4229.html

Post #226342 4th Jun 2014 5:41 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black
Re: Cost of new Turbo

Smilie Monkey wrote:
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum but have been have been a Landi owner for 5 years now. Firstly had a FL1 and now a FL2. Got an issue with the FL2 (TD4 HST) and seeking some advise before heading to the garage and repair bill.

Got a whining noise that gets worse as the engine power increases over the duration of any journey (short or long). Wondered if it was something to do with the transmission/gearbox, but I've noticed that when I put the car in Neutral and rev the engine, the noise increases/decreases in line with the revs.

Some people have suggested it might be the turbo, but I've not noticed any loss of power, just the noise.

Garage have advised not to drive it and get it recovered to them.

Any ideas?

Jo

Could be something simple like a blocked PAS reservoir. To check it, remove the PAS reservoir cap with engine running, look inside the reservoir and you should see a 'dome' of fluid. If not, and you see lots of fine bubbles, then the filter is blocked and starving the PAS pump of fluid. The fluid should be green in colour and not brown/black. The whine is caused by the impeller in the pump.
If this is the case, and I hope it is, then it's just a case of replacing the reservoir with a new one and flushing out the system with PAS fluid.
If you continue to drive with a blocked PAS reservoir filter, it will eventually damage both the pump and steering rack which will cost ££££'s to replace.
Please let us know how you go on Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #226392 5th Jun 2014 12:42 am
Smilie Monkey

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black
Update

Apologies for radio silence all - been doing the last leg of the house move.

Car returned from the garage yesterday with diagnosis. Two issues:

1) apparently I need a new steering pump (Fredastair and Pegleg - looks like you were both on the money Smile )
2) I need a new rear diff. Car is on an 08 plate and only done 78k (mostly motorway miles), so was somewhat surprised to hear this lovely news.

Need advise on the diff. I've heard that there might have been a number of FL2's that needed a new diff pinion (? would that be right?), but the garage says that they whole rear diff needs replacing. Any thoughts on new vs recon options and costs or other things I should ask the garage to rule out before I pick up that major bill.

Cheers
J

Post #228412 5th Jul 2014 7:59 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

We had an 08 reg FL2 which got to 100k miles with no problems. The car was replaced with a 10 reg FL2 which was a nightmare. It was bought at 33k miles from a small dealer then the following within 9 months

throttle body failure £220 (under warranty)
clutch slipping £680
front drive shaft £400
then got a gearbox problem at 55k miles (wouldn't go into 5th) and decided to get rid of it.

Now replaced with 11 reg FL2 38k miles with landrover approved warranty which started doing strange things with throttle response, however dealer sent LR Assist to us who put latest software on and it's made a big difference. Evidently the later ones have more complex software (multiple off road modes plus eco start etc).

Incidentally when LR Assist came he told us of a car he had dealt with that had a temperature sensor fault which made the car assume that it was -40C outside and so kept putting car in snow and ice mode. All getting too complex

Post #228589 8th Jul 2014 9:49 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12