« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > So she goes!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lespes

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver
So she goes!

A few Freelander 2 thoughts formed over the past 12 months.

Well the relationship in the early days was pretty fraught.

Gearbox seals, new front bearings, new gearbox (now on its third one,) new oil intercooler (All this in 7,000 miles) made even more frustrating by very poor back up and servicing issues.

However the past 6 months things have settled down and one began to appreciate it more.

Having covered some 15,000 miles now, same as previous D4 have worked out it has been around £1500 pa cheaper to run than D4.

Off roading has been a little more limited due to its ground clearance issues, knowing when you hit bottom that was it, no get out of jail card with air suspension, but it coped well with its limitations, would even go to say that in flat muddy grassy areas was better than both RRS and D4.

The SD engine and auto box did not seem to relay the true power and progress being made, and was often surprised especially if pulling up hills what it would outrun.

Bluetooth absolutely useless.

Found the rear cargo area less limiting than first thought, even though smaller than RRS the much flatter slope on rear door made it much more usable and taking a family of 4 on weeks holiday with luggage was no problem, though camping would of meant roof box or rack would of been required, which was same as RRS.

Stat nav was quite slow to react both in pressing buttons and sometimes when following directions it would lag a little not giving directions like at a roundabout until on it. Still does not know A34 is one long continuous main arterial road.
However would say clearer and easier to view than D4 and RRS due I think to its more upright position.

Aircon would seem to "stick" sometimes and had to be turned right down for several mins before setting to usual temp for it to kick and do its job.

On and off road suspension not as refined as in its bigger sisters of course, but more nimble and slightly narrower width and length made for any easier time on the narrow lanes around here.

Fuel consumption, well i know we can say it weighs this and its not meant to be fuel efficient but fact is it was worse by 2-3 mpg than my previous TD5's both autos as well.

All in all not a bad little car, not on parr with the rest of the range as you wold expect, but compared to other estate cars feel you are getting a little more and not as a big step down as I had expected moving fro the D4.

Post #200651 25th Sep 2013 12:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1