Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
willo81

United Kingdom 
What Freelander 2 should I get

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so not really sure what to expect

I am currently driving a Freelander 54 reg and am looking at getting a Freelander 2 - although I haven't been that overly impressed with my one I have heard that a Freelander 2 is a lot better.

The trouble is which one do I go for?

It is mostly used to run the kids to and from school and for the Mrs to go to the shops, so no real long distances unless we take a trip to the south coast in the summer holidays. I don't go off road so the only real purpose of a 4x4 would be all the snow we get in the winter Very Happy

We went and looked at a white ed4 S at the weekend which was nice, but whilst we were there we also saw a LE Sport SD4 which the Mrs fell in love with (again it was white).
Obviously the only stumbling block was the price tag of them as we were only looking at paying circa£15-£18k for one.

Unless someone has a White LE Sport SD4 who is looking at selling for this price - What is the next best one to get would anyone recommend?

Thanks

Post #191414 15th Jul 2013 4:15 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
School run

You mention 'school run'
If you are doing short runs then may I advise that you choose no newer than 2010 model year.
Later model years for UK market have a filter in the exhaust called a DPF.
On short runs these can fill up and get blocked; remedial action can get rather expensive.
Check this out on the forum being aware that 2011 model year cars were sold in 2010 as well
Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #191420 15th Jul 2013 4:49 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

The FL2 is a nice car - I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Rather than fix on a particular specification I would start by looking around and seeing what's available. You can then get a feel for what you can get for the money, and where the compromises are. Personally I'd trade specification for fewer years and miles, and you should get a very nice TD4 GS for your budget. You may even be lucky and find a low mileage XS. I would avoid the HSE, as I think it's over-priced both new and second hand, but you will find others here who will tell you different.

Once you have a feel for the market you will probably find that you'll know 'the one' when you see it.

Note, btw, that the earlier 'S' models don't have the terrain response system, but they do still have all the 4x4 hardware and are roughly equivalent to a TR-equipped car in road mode, so the loss of TR isn't actually the big deal it might at first sound - particularly if you're not planning to take it off road.

A good starting point is http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/ - it will give you a good idea of prices and what's available in your area in the way of approved used cars. Even if you end up buying from an independent it's a good starting point.

Post #191421 15th Jul 2013 4:50 pm
Slaneydore

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Quote from above Wink

Quote:
I would avoid the HSE, as I think it's over-priced both new and second hand, but you will find others here who will tell you different.

Go for the HSE if you want comfort style and good looks and all the gadgets you'll ever need
Sorry Pab it looks like im one of them who will tell him different Laughing

Your buy one of the other models and see a HSE drive past ya and your be thinking - mmm!!! I should of went for the HSE Laughing Whistle

On a serious note
Its completely up to you willo, has fredastaire states above have a shop around and see what's out there on your budget Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders
The wanna be other half - http://www.freel2.com/forum/member-carriec.html

Post #191427 15th Jul 2013 6:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pab

Slaneydore wrote:

Your buy one of the other models and see a HSE drive past ya and your be thinking - mmm!!! I should of went for the HSE

I can honestly say I have never, ever thought any such thing. The only thing I would like from the HSE that the XS doesn't have is the mirrors which dip when you put the car in reverse, and I'm not going to buy an HSE just for that! But I suspect I may be unusual in not particularly liking sunroofs, and a sunroof is the main difference between XS and HSE. The HSE is basically just more gimmicks and gadgets to go wrong!

Post #191429 15th Jul 2013 7:08 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I agree with PAB mainly because it's the route we took . Find a nice clean low mileage, full service history approved LR car, first and foremost , and only put bells and whistles above that when you are comparing cars of the same mileage/history, personally once id got a budget I'd be looking for an auto box again over bells and whistles, they suit this car and driving it with one is a pleasure 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #191431 15th Jul 2013 7:10 pm
Slaneydore

Why not go for auto box and bells and whistles Wink
You know I'm only kidding Thumbs Up BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #191433 15th Jul 2013 7:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pab

Slaneydore wrote:

You know I'm only kidding Thumbs Up

Yes, I know, but I think it only fair to the OP to point out that listening to slaneydore (and various others like mav, chrisr, etc) can be seriously bad for your wallet! Laughing

Your car may look good, but you'll be bankrupt in no time...

Post #191439 15th Jul 2013 7:43 pm
Slaneydore

Quote:
Your car may look good, but you'll be bankrupt in no time...

Don't I know it Whistle

Think we should get back on topic and help out the new member Wink BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #191440 15th Jul 2013 7:59 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

Never wished I had got an HSE, and to be honest, I don't even think the SD4 is worth the extra!

Post #191441 15th Jul 2013 8:00 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I'm really glad that I went for the HSE, and if one fits into your budget, why not?

Post #191443 15th Jul 2013 8:16 pm
carriec

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I personally spent a lot of time looking around at the different specs and I was prepared to go for an older car with higher mileage just to get the spec I wanted.

The 3 big musts for me were full leather, sunroof & inbuilt sat nav which made the HSE the best model for me.

I know some of the guys do spend a fortune adding bits on to their cars and when you add it all up could have probably bought a newer car but I say there are worst habits to have and whilst they are having good clean fun I fully support it.

Each to their own after all Thumbs Up

Happy shopping Very Happy

Post #191446 15th Jul 2013 8:19 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

The SE has most of the bits that the HSE has.

Post #191447 15th Jul 2013 8:26 pm
Slaneydore

The thing that jumps out to me the most in this post is
most of the bits Whistle

go the full hog and get all the bits Neutral BETTER looking half of the famous Twinlanders

Post #191454 15th Jul 2013 8:58 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I bought a 2010 XS Auto with Sat Nav, privacy glass, roof bars and less that 25000 miles on the clock for the sort of money you are talking about plus a few hundred (P/X current car?).

I worked out what I wanted (which was pretty much the above) and what would be nice, HSE!, then searched online for a month or so till I found the one I eventually bought. I came to realise my budget was not likely to get me an HSE with my core "wants". Finding one privately might make the difference though.

Good luck and welcome form one newbie to another

Post #191455 15th Jul 2013 8:59 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>