Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Specific question to those on 19" wheels...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green
Specific question to those on 19" wheels...

I know tyre stuff has been quite throughly debated here (several times!) and I've trawled through a lot of them (thanks!)...so I'm not rehashing that (I hope).

Yesterday, went for a dog walk someplace new and ended up going down this country lane that was pretty rough. Big deep puddles, holes everywhere, all very uneven...good fun Smile I have 17" wheels at the moment (continental 4x4 with decent tread) and it it handled it good (I have nothing to compare it against but I was happy).

Was similar to this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-9TJdbCvdaLk/UFNh...Puddle.jpg but longer, and probably with more stones/less mud

Now my question is: would 19" wheels with summer roady tyres (e.g. Toyo Sport SUV or Grabber GTs) have been able to handle that? I understand that it would probably feel less comfortable but would it have managed it reasonably well without a notably higher risk of damaging the alloys (or anything else)?

I'm considering making the switch to 19" (bought some alloys already - probably a little rash...) but keen to learn as much as I can about how the 19" would handle my uses (the scenario above is probably a reasonably frequent occurrence) before making the change.

Any experiences and advice appreciated! FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #180195 15th Apr 2013 8:59 am
j77

Scotland 

My Evoque has 20" wheels with summer tyres and has coped well with all the snow and deep ruts and pot holes.

The 19" wheels will be just as good as your 17s but just be mindful of the smaller side walls as they are a bit more susceptible to damage.

On road you will notice a difference to the handling of the car, it will feel a little more sure footed.

I'm no expert but hope it helps a bit Thumbs Up 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #180199 15th Apr 2013 9:35 am
defenderben

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Hi
As J77 says; Your main problem is the reduced side wall height, as you probably know the overall rolling diameter does not change just the side wall height changes.
So on some surfaces you have to be careful not to pinch the tyre or hit objects too fast or you could damage the tyre and an alloy. Just see what our potholes on the roads are cable of on normal wheels/tyres, never mind low profiles.
The more sportier (low profile) the tyre becomes the higher the chances of damage are.

Any reasonable driver equipped with an FL2 with some 4x4 driving techniques/knowledge under their belt, should get to pretty much most places, provided the tyre has a reasonable depth of tread of course.
You will be surprised how capable an FL2 is even with a road biased tyre Smile

Regards (GONE) FL2 2008 SE (manual) Santorini Black, the expensive one Sad
(LEFT WITH) 300tdi Defender 90 the cold, reliable & sensible one Smile

Post #180201 15th Apr 2013 9:50 am
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

My 19" wheels have been fine in the snow, but I haven't done any serious off-roading yet. I'm not sure if the ride is harsher or not because the FL2 glides over bumps perfectly anyway and I haven't driven another FL2 without smaller rims.. I'd go for them, maybe the like the ones on my car, I love the styling of them and I think they are the most attractive wheel you can get on the FL2. But that's my choice.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Post #180206 15th Apr 2013 10:16 am
ad210358

England 

I have 17's and 19's, much prefer the firmer ride of the 19's, don't think they are anymore susceptible to damage of the rim as such with sensible driving as the wall of the Conti's tends to hang over the edge of the rim a bit.

Post #180211 15th Apr 2013 11:04 am
mikehzz

Australia 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Lago Grey

From what I have seen, it all depends on where you want to drive. If you are going to do the occasional 20km drive on dirt, gravel, mud whatever then 19's with HT tyres would be fine. If you are going where I am going next week ie over 3000kms of harsh off road conditions, then 19's and HT tyres won't do at all. They would be ripped to shreds and the rims would have gouges in them. I don't think you have the type of terrain in the UK that would do that to your car. Having said that 17's will give better traction than 19's if you let some air out of them. The difference on sand is enormous. I liken it to shoes on people. You can hike in normal shoes and you can hike in hiking boots. The more you hike and the tougher the terrain, the more the hiking boots become a better proposition and yes, normal shoes are better in normal conditions.

Post #180333 16th Apr 2013 8:19 am
Yanwoo

Thanks for all the replies, has given me confidence to go with the 19"! Just gave the alloys I bought a good wash and put some sealant on, so I'm ready to get them fitted with new tyres.

Mikehzz: really like your analogy, helped a lot Very Happy FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #180410 16th Apr 2013 6:19 pm
Arese

Morocco 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I notice a huge difference between 17 and 19" on FL2.

The suspension with 19 is a bit "stiff"

Post #180418 16th Apr 2013 6:52 pm
Andy Jeff

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

I have 19's on my FL2 with conti cross contact UHP's and my wife has 17's on her FL2 with conti err...4x4...err...standard LR continentals but not sure which ones? The 19's give a much firmer and on tarmac, grippier drive. The car is almost 'chuckable'! But the problem is that there is not a wide choice of available tyres in 19 inch. Compared to the standard from the factory conti 4x4 tyres, the UHP's are rubbish on slippery and snowy conditions, don't get me wrong, its still a great car on the slippery stuff after all it's an FL2, but it's nowhere near as good as the conti 4x4 factory 17 inch tyres that the wife has. I wanted to get winter tyres this winter, but didn't, mostly because oft he cost, 19 inch winter tyres arn't cheap. I then thought I'd get a set of 17's with winter tyres for winter, but next to the 19's they don't look so good so I 'roughed it' Wink I do go off road and down green lanes in my FL2 on the 19's and never had any trouble, but I pick the lanes carefully, for more serious stuff, I take the Defender (of course) Very Happy

Overall, I would happily get 19's again for their looks and handling in the summer, but I'd like non-summer tyres, or a set of winter tyres on wheels for the few months when temperatures dip below 7 degrees when they come into their own.

Andy.

Post #180492 16th Apr 2013 9:54 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

You will have no issues what so ever. About 18 months ago, my car was up to it's axles in mud with 19's and it got itself out no problem.

I am now on 20's and the recent snow again didn't cause me any issues. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #180594 17th Apr 2013 3:21 pm
Yanwoo

Finally got my 19"s from AJS, went for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all season.

Haven't done many miles yet but think I prefer the firmer ride. Feels more stable on roundabouts, significantly less roll. Yes can feel the pot holes a bit more but so far I'm happy Smile

Great advice and service from AJS, recommended! FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #184235 16th May 2013 5:41 pm
fisha

Given your picture, I would have happily driven that on my 20" evoque alloys i have fitted.

Generally, even with 20's your fine as long as you're considerate to the tyres ... by that i mean easing off and gently rolling over the larger stones and bumps rather that hitting into them and hoping the tyre will take all the impact.

As an example, I'm quite happy to mount kerbs, even at an angle with the 20's, just take it easy, thats all.

Post #184273 16th May 2013 7:52 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1