« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > My first 1500 miles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
zoey

United States 
My first 1500 miles

I'm sure that the majority of this has been discussed before, but I decided that I wouldn't look at others opinions so as not to skew my thoughts.

2010 Land Rover HSE Sport Limited Edition (petrol):
There's plenty to like about this vehicle, but I think people like to hear about things that owners would like changed. So, without further adieu...

~I intermittently have sunroof noises (rattling), which I have not been able to find the primary source of. There's no rime nor reason for the noises.
~Lack of storage in the drivers compartment.
~I wish the map/reading lights were illuminated. Finding them is akin to reading braille.
~All of the plastic bits in the dash and center console creek when the vehicle is warming up.
~The winter floor mats do not hold very much liquid, and don't completely cover the floor. I wish it covered the drivers foot rest.

~The drivers side arm rest must be lifted to fit the seat belt. The height adjuster invariably gets bumped, so I have to readjust it from time to time.
~Back seats do not lay perfectly flat when put down.
~I wish it had a key-less system for the door locks and ignition. My wife's Lexus has this. As long as she has the key fob on her person, she does not need to physically touch it to open the doors or start the vehicle.
~Swapping fobs every so often to keep them charged is somewhat annoying.
~The US does not have many of the features/options that the rest of the world has (i.e. diesel, manual transmission, folding mirrors, front-facing proximity sensors....).

~The in-cabin air does not blow very hard, even at it's highest setting.
~By my calculations, the average MPG instrument reading is rather optimistic. The computer is showing around 1-2 MPG more than what I am actually achieving.
~I purchased and installed the mud flaps. The fitment appears to be an afterthought. Cutting bodywork and drilling holes is evidence of this. The screws and bracing provided began to rust before weeks end.
~The exhaust starting rusting straight away.
~I love that I can simply "bump" the turn signal stalk, and it will automatically start flashing. I just wish it would do so for more than 3 flashes. Who changes lanes in the time span of only 3 flashes?

~Low volume (no boost) to sound when an iPod is hooked up to the system. I've got to crank up the stereo volume to hear it, and God forbid you forget to reduce the volume when changing over to the radio.
~When the outside temperatures are cold, the transmission has a difficult time deciding what gear to be in. It constantly changes up from high to low revs until warm.
~Rear sunroof does not open up.

So, there you have it. My initial impressions.

Post #89861 26th Jan 2011 9:14 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

You like the car then Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #89862 26th Jan 2011 9:26 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

When I first got mine I found you needed to keep lifting the arm rest to find the seatbelt slot but with time it's like sex !! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #89891 27th Jan 2011 2:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zoey

United States 

No, I like the vehicle! I was debating between getting the Rover or a Mercedes GLK350. I know, they are different.
You think I should include a counterpoint for the positives?

I'm sure that getting the seat belt hooked up will be easier when I don't have to wear 3 winter jackets and puffy gloves to keep from freezing to death.

Post #89893 27th Jan 2011 5:56 am
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I think that's a good post, it's how we live with the little issues that effect how we enjoy a car.

I agree about storage, as I think many people do, and it's especially irksome that when you look around there were several opportunities for extra cubby holes and stuff.

I personally think the lane change is fine on 3 flashes, and it seems to be the industry standard as the other cars I've had with this function were the same. Most BMW's don't flash at all Very Happy

I've not found the iPod volume to be a problem, how are you connecting it? Are you using a cable from the headphone socket on the iPod or a 'line level output' from the multi pin socket on the bottom? If it's the former then the iPod volume will effect the overall volume as well as the main head unit volume control. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #89894 27th Jan 2011 7:55 am
EYorkshire

All valid points I'm sure but I think this one is not rust as it's made from Stainless Steel

Quote:
~The exhaust starting rusting straight away.

I don't like the interior lights coming on if I park and stop the engine when it's dark. Why does it think that I'm getting out when I'm sitting there in the dark lit up like a Xmas tree waiting to pick someone up.( Embarassed when I re-read that, it sort of reads wrong)
I have to lock it while inside for the lights to go out........unless you know different!!

Post #89895 27th Jan 2011 7:56 am
wingit

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Isn't there a three-way switch for the majority of internal lights? (On all the time-Automatic-Off). The only ones that come on in my car is the boot light, footwell lights and puddle lights.

Post #89912 27th Jan 2011 11:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

EYorkshire wrote:

I don't like the interior lights coming on if I park and stop the engine when it's dark. Why does it think that I'm getting out when I'm sitting there in the dark watching the ladies undress in their bedrooms lit up like a Xmas tree waiting to take pictures ( Embarassed when I re-read that, it sort of reads wrong)

yes that does sound very very wrong Shocked Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #89918 27th Jan 2011 1:21 pm
Ralphk

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Whenyou connect an MP3 player of whatever ilk and set the head unit on the Radio to Audio input the menu on the redio has a range of settings , including volume, for the audio input receiver. I turned mine to ful volume which then does not restrict the input from the player but allows me to increase or decrease the sound from the steering wheel of radio knob control. Ralph
Zurmatt Silver, Diesel, Automatic, side steps, mud flaps, mats, boot liner, TomTom Start 60 installed, rubbing strips, removable Brink tow bar, after market tinted glass, front styling bar, Rear spoiler, Motorlicious tail pipe trim. Wood Company centre armrest

Post #89919 27th Jan 2011 1:44 pm
EYorkshire

npinks wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:

I don't like the interior lights coming on if I park and stop the engine when it's dark. Why does it think that I'm getting out when I'm sitting there in the dark watching the ladies undress in their bedrooms lit up like a Xmas tree waiting to take pictures ( Embarassed when I re-read that, it sort of reads wrong)

yes that does sound very very wrong Shocked

I somehow knew my question would be miscontstrued and an answer manipulated, anyway what I do in the darkness of my car in the back streets hurts no-one but myself Embarassed Whistle

Post #89920 27th Jan 2011 2:12 pm
EYorkshire

@ wingit
Yes there is but the majority of the time I like it in the "Auto" setting, it's just the odd occasion when I don't want that and I'm to assed to be switching them off manually.

Post #89922 27th Jan 2011 2:15 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

EYorkshire wrote:

I somehow knew my question would be miscontstrued and an answer manipulated, anyway what I do in the darkness of my car in the back streets hurts no-one but myself Embarassed Whistle

you pays your money and takes your choice, watch them alloys on the kerbs Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #89923 27th Jan 2011 2:15 pm
zoey

United States 

I'll have to take photos of the rust when I get back from Grand Cayman (leaving on Friday after work).

Thanks for the tip Ralph. I'll give it a go.

Post #89965 27th Jan 2011 8:45 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

chicken george wrote:
EYorkshire wrote:

you pays your money and takes your choice, watch them alloys on the kerbs Whistle

Aha, so thats how Pinky damaged his Laughing ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #89977 27th Jan 2011 10:18 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Ralphk wrote:
Whenyou connect an MP3 player of whatever ilk and set the head unit on the Radio to Audio input the menu on the redio has a range of settings , including volume, for the audio input receiver. I turned mine to ful volume which then does not restrict the input from the player but allows me to increase or decrease the sound from the steering wheel of radio knob control.

Bow down Bow down Bow down For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #90001 28th Jan 2011 8:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>