« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Power Upgrade Warning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 
Power Upgrade Warning

Saw this earlier on Topix when I looked, but could not read it as I didn't subscribe, but it's just been posted on Disco4

DG wrote:
FYI

Quote:

A number of major powertrain units received through the Warranty Returns process have been damaged by the
installation of unauthorized power upgrades to the Engine Management systems.
Changes to a vehicle's power characteristics have far-reaching consequences on many systems including the
entire driveline, braking system, emission control devices and in particular the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)
circuit.

The Engine Management System performs regular regeneration cycles to purge the DPF of particulate matter
and unauthorized upgrades can seriously affect these regeneration cycles leading to catastrophic failure of the
DPF.

Power upgrades are typically achieved either through the download of unauthorized and potentially illegal
calibration files into the Engine Control Modules, or through add-on hardware. Other power upgrades may also
be available, and in all cases, warranty responsibility on any affected component does not lie with Jaguar Land
Rover.

The resulting power increase is achieved at the expense of:
• Engine and transmission longevity.
• Increased fuel consumption.
• Increased pollutant emissions.

We would also draw your attention to the following statement from the Owner's Handbook:
'The fitting of non-approved parts and accessories, or the carrying out of non-approved alterations or
conversions, may be dangerous and could affect the safety of the vehicle and occupants, and also invalidate
the terms and conditions of the vehicle warranty'.

Where there is evidence that a vehicle has had an unauthorized power upgrade, authorized repairers should
send an email to ************** with known modification details and the VIN number of the
affected vehicle so that a Warranty restriction can be applied and shown in DDW. In the event of related vehicle
faults, customers should be advised to contact the vendor of the vehicle, supplier of the power upgrade or be
advised that they will incur repair costs.

Authorized Repairers must not be in any way be involved in the promotion, marketing, or installation of such
unauthorized power upgrades. Evidence of upgrade is almost impossible to conceal, even when original
equipment is refitted following unit failure. Any major unit failures suspected to be resulting from unauthorized
power upgrades will be thoroughly investigated and warranty payments will be withheld or withdrawn as
appropriate.

Post #216700 12th Feb 2014 10:28 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

they can't prove its the remap that caused the damage! thousands of un-modified faults happen anyway!!

just someone in a head office somewhere having a bad day! nothing to worry about.

Post #216712 12th Feb 2014 11:28 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just picking up on the 'z' in authorised, this could be from an American site or someone has used incorrect spelling. Not that it makes the point less valid.

LR have every right to refuse repair if a non-authorised add on causes a fault. However, if LR refused to repair something under warranty on those grounds, they would need to prove (on the balance of probabilities at least) that the add on caused the fault and it isn't just coincidence.

Plus if LR discovered a power upgrade 'chip' when you took it in for a faulty electric window repair for example, their get out clause isn't going to hold water. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #216715 12th Feb 2014 11:33 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

They can't prove but they CAN refuse to fix the car and I think JLR will have bigger and better legal team

Post #216716 12th Feb 2014 11:35 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

They can refuse to fix but without valid grounds to do so, you can look to breach of contract or your rights under SOGA. Believe me, so called bigger and better legal teams drop some clangers sometimes. I see it all the time in my work.

I give you the general overview but the big guns with big legal teams such as the mighty Curry's have had their ass handed to them in court by the consumer before so it does happen. Sadly not often enough. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #216718 12th Feb 2014 11:40 pm
ad210358

England 

The Doctor wrote:
Just picking up on the 'z' in authorised, this could be from an American site or someone has used incorrect spelling. Not that it makes the point less valid.

LR have every right to refuse repair if a non-authorised add on causes a fault. However, if LR refused to repair something under warranty on those grounds, they would need to prove (on the balance of probabilities at least) that the add on caused the fault and it isn't just coincidence.

Plus if LR discovered a power upgrade 'chip' when you took it in for a faulty electric window repair for example, their get out clause isn't going to hold water.

Doc, good spot on the Z Thumbs Up

I've been warned over a chip Rolling Eyes false allegations could cause problems later on.

Post #216719 12th Feb 2014 11:41 pm
EYorkshire

Exactly, they have to prove nothing, they are big enough to dismiss a warranty claim and have enough technical know how to back it up.

Post #216720 12th Feb 2014 11:41 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Well I believe it to be the UK version, after all when on topix earlier there was this in the stuff that came up for my car, could not open it without paying subs so left it

Post #216721 12th Feb 2014 11:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I agree on that EY. The burden is balance of probabilities so I think they would have no trouble proving that in all probability, the add on caused the fault.

I just thought I would give an overview of the position should they play that card with no grounds. Faulty glove box catch warranty claim dismissed due to power upgrade Laughing LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #216722 12th Feb 2014 11:45 pm
DG

United Kingdom 

Quote:
To: All UK Authorized Repairers

I posted the alert up on D4 Thumbs Up Existential Phenomenologist

Post #216724 12th Feb 2014 11:55 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Can't see anything in there that we didn't know already, to be honest.

Install a remap and your engine goes pop, you're gonna have a hard time getting a payout from LR.

install a remap and your headrest breaks, you'll be fine.

Last edited by choccymonster on 12th Feb 2014 11:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #216725 12th Feb 2014 11:57 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Perhaps the author of the memo is American then or just made a spelling error. Either way, the point is worthy of mention and worth bearing in mind.

A good heads up post Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #216726 12th Feb 2014 11:58 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

choccymonster wrote:
Can't see anything in there that we didn't know already, to be honest.

Install a remap and your engine goes pop, you're gonna have a hard time getting a payout from LR.

install a remap and your headrest breaks, you'll be fine.

That thought crossed my mind too but many will not realise or not realise fully so a worthy post in fairness Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #216727 12th Feb 2014 11:59 pm
ghawk2005

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

hang on I'm confused - is this stating that there is a risk it actually causes damage to the engine parts (even if driven carefully) or is it making the point more about the fact that it won't be covered under warranty?

Post #216729 13th Feb 2014 12:01 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Both. They are saying there is a risk and if the risk becomes reality and the add on causes a fault which you then try to claim for, they will refuse such a claim. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #216730 13th Feb 2014 12:03 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>