Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Who is interested in seeing the Si4 in a FL2 in the UK??
Would you be interested in a petrol engined Si4 in the FL2 for your next car
Yes
55%
 55%  [33]
No
44%
 44%  [26]
Total Votes: 59

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
harveyg77

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

at the expense of getting into a pointless argument, I am happy to hear from people who have experience and who can thus help me understand better.

In some respects I think we are arguning the same point but from differet perspectives. We have no alternative but go for a diesel due to the co-car emissions determining tax. It annoys me because I get hit with more expensive diesel. But TBH it works out best in the end. If we had a private car instead, then we could do the maths and determine which was best and Im guessing the performance and refinement of the ecoboost would suddenly be more attractive. Though dragging 600-miles out of a tank still has its advantages.

However, my Mondeo 203ps ecoboost had 179g/km emissions and a combined economy of 36.7mpg. This appears identical to the latest version of the Mondeo, both 203 and 240 ps variants. The Evoque Si4 is 199g/km with a combined of 32.5mpg. The Feelander2 Si4 is 224g/km with a combined of 29.4mpg. Based on this I would assume that the Freelander would be more costly on fuel than my Mondeo was because it is basically the same engine (give or take minor mods). By the manufacturers own figures the Freelander is thirstier than the Mondeo. I worked in the motor industry for Jag developing software for the Xj, XK and S-Type, as well as being involved in the devleopment of the X-Type and playing with test mules (Mk2 Mondeo's) fitted with V6 4x4 setups, 4.2 V8s, etc. so have a little experience of what differences software, gear ratios have on a car. However, that is all in the past and I appreciate things have changed.

My point above wrt the real world economy and the ecoboost drinking fuel may not be clearly made, but in simple terms if the Freelander is less economical and has higher emissions tha the Mondeo, sing what is basically the same engine, and I achived less economy in the real World in the Mondeo than ford claimed, then it was not unreasonable to assume the Freelander would be worse stll. Thus when calculating the costs of petrol Vs diesel it needs to be considered (for both side agreed) ie. you need to know realistically what real world economy you can achieve from the petrol and diesel versions.

but to repeat myself again, I agree that the Si4 should be a UK engine, if it had a manual, came in lower trim levels (GS) and people like yourselves were really achieving the claimed economy figures, I would be quite happy to consider the swap. For private

I would also say that is if you are going to say that my experiences are rubbish and my arguments are flawed, then kindly explain to me what I have missed. I it difficult to understand how servicing costs can be compared for a car that does not actually appear to be available in the UK. Thee Evoque Si4 costs the same as the SD4, so you would not be saving on the purchase price. Assuming the price differential read across to the Fl2, which lets face it is likely as LR are not really known for having a bargian basement model f they can charge a premium.

Cheers Harvey

Post #156037 30th Sep 2012 8:04 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Each to thier own - I was thinking of the Mrs.
Her car is due for replacement, it's an 02 Micra, done 30k miles, and the least reliable car we have ever had.
She does 2 - 3 round trips a day and still manages less than 3k a year - what would that do to a DPF?

At only 4'10" most super minis are too low for her to feel safe so a nice big (FL2 is big compared to a Micra, RR is huge) British 4x4 would suit her nice. TBH fuel economy at that mileage means nothing, but petrol beats diesel when it comes to heating the cabin quickly.

Her insurance, MOT, servicing, and road tax costs outweigh her fuel cost (30mpg) so why not a comfortable, quiet, quick petrol?

Why do I want shut? The Censored radiator has gone again (£300), both headlights have clouded over, and we have a new grandson, SWMBO has seen that the FL2 can take a shunt at MW speeds and I walked away, the Nissan that hit me didn't look so pretty. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #156063 30th Sep 2012 9:22 pm
harveyg77

We could go off at a tangent here, but surely there is a market for people who are private buyers or do low mileage. I'm sure the 1.6 ecoboost MANUAL in the Fl2 would be a good everyday car for most people. the other one I've awaited is the 2.2 190ps (SD4) into the Disco4 as a cheaper, lower emission/better economy option whilst the World is downsizing engines.

Ford are supposedly putting the 1.6 ecoboost into the next Kuga and even going as far as the 1.0 triple in the next Mondeo :-/.

I've ran a couple of Fl1s with 1.8k-series as they were great little things for thrashing and cruised nicely.

Cheers Harvey

Post #156066 30th Sep 2012 9:33 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

harveyg77 wrote:
at the expense of getting into a pointless argument, I am happy to hear from people who have experience and who can thus help me understand better.

In some respects I think we are arguning the same point but from differet perspectives. We have no alternative but go for a diesel due to the co-car emissions determining tax. It annoys me because I get hit with more expensive diesel. But TBH it works out best in the end. If we had a private car instead, then we could do the maths and determine which was best and Im guessing the performance and refinement of the ecoboost would suddenly be more attractive. Though dragging 600-miles out of a tank still has its advantages.

However, my Mondeo 203ps ecoboost had 179g/km emissions and a combined economy of 36.7mpg. This appears identical to the latest version of the Mondeo, both 203 and 240 ps variants. The Evoque Si4 is 199g/km with a combined of 32.5mpg. The Feelander2 Si4 is 224g/km with a combined of 29.4mpg. Based on this I would assume that the Freelander would be more costly on fuel than my Mondeo was because it is basically the same engine (give or take minor mods). By the manufacturers own figures the Freelander is thirstier than the Mondeo. I worked in the motor industry for Jag developing software for the Xj, XK and S-Type, as well as being involved in the devleopment of the X-Type and playing with test mules (Mk2 Mondeo's) fitted with V6 4x4 setups, 4.2 V8s, etc. so have a little experience of what differences software, gear ratios have on a car. However, that is all in the past and I appreciate things have changed.

My point above wrt the real world economy and the ecoboost drinking fuel may not be clearly made, but in simple terms if the Freelander is less economical and has higher emissions tha the Mondeo, sing what is basically the same engine, and I achived less economy in the real World in the Mondeo than ford claimed, then it was not unreasonable to assume the Freelander would be worse stll. Thus when calculating the costs of petrol Vs diesel it needs to be considered (for both side agreed) ie. you need to know realistically what real world economy you can achieve from the petrol and diesel versions.

but to repeat myself again, I agree that the Si4 should be a UK engine, if it had a manual, came in lower trim levels (GS) and people like yourselves were really achieving the claimed economy figures, I would be quite happy to consider the swap. For private

I would also say that is if you are going to say that my experiences are rubbish and my arguments are flawed, then kindly explain to me what I have missed. I it difficult to understand how servicing costs can be compared for a car that does not actually appear to be available in the UK. Thee Evoque Si4 costs the same as the SD4, so you would not be saving on the purchase price. Assuming the price differential read across to the Fl2, which lets face it is likely as LR are not really known for having a bargian basement model f they can charge a premium.

Cheers Harvey

You have made a fair few points there. I agree that the diesel is the only practical options for company car drivers.

Also the FL2 will always drink more than a small car would. But one question to ask though, if a person is worried about emmisions and MPG and service costs etc, should they really be looking at a Land Rover?

I had this arguement with a family member who was complainig that he thought the FL2 was high on the emmissions and that he wanted 40/50mpg. So I said to him, why are you looking at a 4x4? Go and buy a little Corsa or a Fiesta etc if he wants low tax and high mpg! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #156334 3rd Oct 2012 11:09 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

harveyg77 wrote:
We could go off at a tangent here, but surely there is a market for people who are private buyers or do low mileage. I'm sure the 1.6 ecoboost MANUAL in the Fl2 would be a good everyday car for most people. the other one I've awaited is the 2.2 190ps (SD4) into the Disco4 as a cheaper, lower emission/better economy option whilst the World is downsizing engines.

Ford are supposedly putting the 1.6 ecoboost into the next Kuga and even going as far as the 1.0 triple in the next Mondeo :-/.

I've ran a couple of Fl1s with 1.8k-series as they were great little things for thrashing and cruised nicely.

Cheers Harvey

They would do better offering a 150bhp version of the 2.0 ecoboost. As a 2.0 running at 150bhp would be better on fuel than a 1.6 ecoboost in a car like the FL2. Running he 1.6 would shove the emmisions too high.

LR apparently did try a 4 cylinder diesel in the Disco 3 but it performed awfuly. Emmisions and mpg were not great.

Downsizing is good in alot of applications, the Vauxhall Insignia 1.4turbo has 140bhp, but it is better on fuel, lower emmisions and quicker than the normally aspirated 1.8.

But at the opposite end of the scale, LR binned the 2.7 v6 with 190bhp and fitted the twin turbo diesel3.0 and it is quicker, better on fuel, lower emmisions and performed better than the 2.7.

There is another interestig example. Did you know that LR looked at fitting the 2.7 V6 diesel transversly into the FL2? It would have been quicker and better on fuel than the SD4 2.2 as it would be powering the much lighter FL2.

But the idea was binned because of the pedestrian impact laws that are now in force. The fron cylinder head would be too close to the bonnet and front bodywork so it would not pass the pedestrian laws.

Shame as that would have been an awesone car! Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #156336 3rd Oct 2012 11:18 am
JammyDodger

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I would be interested...
We only do around 5000 miles per year so would not realise any fuel cost related savings or recoup the premium for buying a diesel unit.

If performance was similar then I would most likely buy the petrol version. Having said that, I have no issues with the SD4 we have and more than happy with it. It would come down to what we can afford at the time, if the diesel was cheaper then I would buy that!

Thumbs Up 11 SD4 HSE Stornoway Grey / Black Windsor Leather

Post #156342 3rd Oct 2012 12:44 pm
harveyg77

Agreed, I do thinkLR have scope to provide more choice to customers. Higher performance models, as well as more 'economical' (not necessarily mpg/CO2 - more over a lower purchase price) to owners.

Accepting it is an Appkes and Oranges Vs Bananas comparison, but look at the engine choices available in Ford and Vauxhall cars. LR no doubt have ideas about who they are selling to, but you have to think they are missing a trick.

Cheers Hrvey

Post #156425 4th Oct 2012 6:53 am
harveyg77

Could be a step closer now as they've dropped the Si4 into the XJ and seeing as it uses a modified XF platform there is no doubt it could be slipped into that vehicle as well. More JLR cars usign it, the mroe likely it is that they could justify putting it into others.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xj/60545/jaguar-xj-20-i4-ti

Cheers Harvey

Post #156516 5th Oct 2012 8:06 am
Andy S

United Kingdom 

LR's customer base is heavily weighted to those with reasonable levels of disposable income - look at the pricing of the various cars. Such people like choice. If someone can spend £40K on a small 4x4, the least they should get is the choice of engine. LR needs to listen to customers - how difficult is it in these days of build to order to batch a few petrol power units into the production run? BMW can do it!

Post #156517 5th Oct 2012 8:09 am
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

harveyg77 wrote:
Could be a step closer now as they've dropped the Si4 into the XJ and seeing as it uses a modified XF platform there is no doubt it could be slipped into that vehicle as well. More JLR cars usign it, the mroe likely it is that they could justify putting it into others.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/jaguar/xj/60545/jaguar-xj-20-i4-ti

Cheers Harvey

LR have already fitted the Si4 engine into Freelander 2 - but only for Export markets at the moment.

Post #156563 5th Oct 2012 5:46 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

I was talking to a salesman at the dealer I got my Evoque from today about the Landrover builder webside for the FL2 being a bit mixed up & he said to me there was one model currently missing from it & that was a Freelander Si4 so as far as he is concerned it is coming. (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #156572 5th Oct 2012 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I hope it is coming but I'll not start writing the cheque until it appears on the website.

Post #156573 5th Oct 2012 8:56 pm
richardk

With diesel prices continuing upwards...anyone else interested in petrol FL2...shame for the Evoque set to be hogging the petrols

Post #171474 12th Feb 2013 9:31 pm
ad210358

England 

Don't know what's happening with fuel prices where you are but round here when Diesel goes up a penny so does the Petrol.

Post #171476 12th Feb 2013 9:36 pm
richardk

Not round these parts. Although I'm not thinking about the cost saving with a petrol more the avoiding a DPF

Would still like to be able to make the engine choice like RRE can Sad

Post #171479 12th Feb 2013 9:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>