Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Landrover Experience - bumpy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
marklad2020

Switzerland 
Landrover Experience - bumpy?

Not sure if this one has been asked before...

My wife is pregnant (first time I've ever written that) and the Doctor has just advised against any "bumpy" sports. Swimming and walking are about as "bumpy" as it is allowed to get. Certainly no horse riding.

Although the degree of bumpiness permitted is still very vague, as a nervous and first time expectant father I'm wondering if you can help me out - we have a day at Honiton Landrover Experience booked in 2 weeks. How "bumpy" is it? I drove up a muddy track once, which was occasionally jarring, but how would you classify the Landrover experience on a scale from walking to horse riding?

Or are we just being weird about it?

thx.

Post #147578 3rd Jul 2012 8:07 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

IME the LRE is very slow speed stuff - just at extreme angles! Minimal violent bumps therefore. I am that both of them will be ok. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #147583 3rd Jul 2012 8:18 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Depends on how pregnant she is and what/if complications could arise and what the doctor means by "bumpy" sports.

Personally I would play it safe Exclamation ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #147585 3rd Jul 2012 8:24 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

They may show you the DSC this involved them driving and steering harshly left and right, I was thrown around the rear seats when I did it in the D4, the instructor asked if any of us (3blokes) was pregnant, bad backs, heart conditions before showing it working

I would suggest that you ring the LRE and enquire :idea

Off road section is jerky, and bumpy, leaning over held in seat by the belt etc

I'm not medically trained or anything, but iirc the first period of pregnancy is when they say take it easy, when he/she/they grow a little more they are well protected right up until birth in their cosy sack

Might be able to postpone your LRE till later in the term, Mrs Althlstan might be able to advise better, but maybe a little stressed at the moment with her new medical centre

Anyway Congratulations to you both Thumbs Up

Post #147586 3rd Jul 2012 8:31 pm
EYorkshire

+1 for Mr Pinky's post.

A LR Experience day is exciting but doesn't even come close to what you both have at the moment. Delay it Thumbs Up

Post #147588 3rd Jul 2012 8:39 pm
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I know that some (if not all) LRE Centres ask you to read and sign a declaration before participating and part of the declaration relates to health issues and specifically mentions pregnancy.
I would call the Centre direct and seek their advice. It would be possible in most cases to get out of the vehicle and watch it going through/over any particularly bumpy terrain.

Post #147592 3rd Jul 2012 8:45 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

SWMBO reckons that it would not be advisable. We did the Honiton experience last year. No DSC demo but there are a couple of jarring jolts and extreme angles.
Whatever you decide, we both hope that all goes well.

Post #147610 3rd Jul 2012 10:37 pm
marklad2020

Switzerland 

Thanks massively for your advice. Now to break the news that I'm taking my Dad instead.. Thought about postponing it, for like 21 years...

Post #147618 4th Jul 2012 6:05 am
athelstan

marklad2020

I'll ask my dear lady later today, however, I'm very sure that without seeing your wife for a consultation to determine your wife's own circumstances she will most certainly only say that "light" exercise is much better than wrapping the dear wife in cotton wool during her pregnancy. During her own pregnancy Katharina cycled daily, hiked in the mountains weekly, and swam. She did not do any bungy jumping. Get the picture. So bouncing around in a 4x4 across country is probably not what K would recommend.

If you would like Katharina to see your wife then PM me and we'll arrange a consultation. I see from your post you are listed as Zürich - are you in the city or in the Kantone''s hinterland. Our practise is located in Kantone Glarus in Linthal. There are direct trains from Züri HB and the practise is only 100mtrs from the train station, or, you can drive and park right outside our door in our own client car park. K speaks perfect English, naturally Swiss German, plus French, Italian and Norwegian. Finally, she can recommend an excellent college in Horgen ZH if you would prefer that - she was Katharina's pregnancy doctor and delivered our daughter.

Post #147620 4th Jul 2012 6:56 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

I've just been out in a RR Sport this morning courtesy of our fleet leasing lady at work, as the local Land Rover dealer is trying to break the hold that BMW and Audi have on our company car drivers by getting drivers of those marques into LR products. I can confirm that indeed as suggested above the Experience Centre does require you to sign in after reading a list of conditions and pregnancy is one of the exceptions. This is very reasonable as the vehicle is at some extreme angles particularly when traversing a slope.

ps I wish I had not driven the RR Sport 3.0 SD it is 125% absolutley awesome! so how much personal contribution and increase in BIK tax will that be then.....?

the best bit is it has a real clock on the dash Laughing 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #147655 4th Jul 2012 1:39 pm
muddywheels

England 

Iirc you have to sign a disclaimer and don't think LRE will want to risk it Shocked Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #147657 4th Jul 2012 1:46 pm
s7gpt

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

not worth it mate, plenty of time once the little one comes along and a good excuse to have a break from him/her Thumbs Up freelander 2 SE black and beige - now sold

Post #147687 4th Jul 2012 7:25 pm
marklad2020

Switzerland 

Thanks once again for all your inputs everybody. What a wonderful community to be a part of.

@athelstan - thanks for the very kind offer, but I guess we'll simply give the LRE a miss this I've around. Give me a pm if you ever come down the mountain to the city!

Post #147690 4th Jul 2012 7:44 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

You might consider what might happen if there was a chance the vehicle could roll over or on to its side?
I would have thought it is not an entire impossibly if youre travelling over rough ground on inclines especially sideways?
Bad enough being on youre head waiting for rescue when youre fit, hazard to think what it would do to someone who is pregnant Shocked

Post #147760 5th Jul 2012 1:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1