Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto driving and stopped
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
EYorkshire

Auto driving and stopped

I've searched out a few similar threads but need answers to a few dumb auto questions as I have never driven an Auto in my life.

1) When at lights for a minute or two, should you shift into "N" and apply handbrake?
2) Will keeping it in "D" and foot on brake at lights have any detrimental effect other than annoy the driver behind Question
3) Procedure for parking up at the end of the day Question
4) Is "N" primarily there for being towed if broken down Question
5) Will the Freely start in "P" and "N" Question
6) The "Gear lock button", does that have to be operated for every shift (P,N,R,D) and also over to "Sport Mode" and manual shift up and down Question

Thanks for any answers. Smile

Post #88530 18th Jan 2011 12:45 pm
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I'm unable to answer the FL2 specific questions but there's no need to take a modern auto out of D when at the lights. On my current auto I sometimes I knock it into N if I know I'm gonna be there a while, but thats purely to save me holding the brake as well as peeing of the guy behind.

If you're parked up you'll probably need to be in P before you can remove the key, although I stand to be corrected on the FL2. I know people that just leave a car in park and dont worry about the handbrake but I always apply the brake too.

I've always been under the impression you should tow an auto any real distance with the driven wheels on the ground but once again stand to be corrected as that may be old technology issues.

Smile For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #88535 18th Jan 2011 1:22 pm
alex_pescaru

Re: Auto driving and stopped

1) When at lights for a minute or two, should you shift into "N" and apply handbrake?
No need to, but you can. Many shift to N if the stop is longer than 30-40 seconds.

2) Will keeping it in "D" and foot on brake at lights have any detrimental effect other than annoy the driver behind Question
No. Theoretically just a little increase in the auto transmission oil temperature, comparing with its temperature in "N". But way, waaaay lower than the temperature of the transmission oil when moving.

3) Procedure for parking up at the end of the day Question
Stop, handbrake on, select "P". In this way you won't be tensioning/stress to much the locking pawl of the box, especially when you park on an incline.

4) Is "N" primarily there for being towed if broken down Question
Nope. It is for sitting with the box totally disconnected from a running engine. But also for tow.
Beware: There is forbidden to tow a car with an auto box for extended periods of time and/or increased speed, as the box's internals are lubricated by the auto's oil pump which is driven by the input shaft which is directly connected to the engine. So no running engine, no oil pressure and lube inside the autobox. Therefore when towing the the internals of the box are spinning from the wheels but with a stopped engine there is no lube job inside.

5) Will the Freely start in "P" and "N" Question
Only on those.

6) The "Gear lock button", does that have to be operated for every shift (P,N,R,D) and also over to "Sport Mode" and manual shift up and down Question
Which gear lock button???
If your talking about the "trigger" button of the selector it is a safety measure for not shifting, by mistake, into "P" and "R" at speed, from "D". In other words to not reverse the sense of the box when moving.
But for speeds over 11 km/h there is another safety feature that won't let you shift from "D" or "N" to "R". Therefore neither "P".
This because "P" is mechanically locking the box by a shift pin/pawl which enters between the teeths of a sproket and therefore you can damage the box when moving.

Read more here about auto box description and operations.

Last edited by alex_pescaru on 18th Jan 2011 2:20 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #88538 18th Jan 2011 1:46 pm
EYorkshire

Nice reply as usual Alex and yes I did mean the trigger button. Smile

... and finally, the trigger button must be pressed to make a deliberate movement in the "P,D,R,N" Thumbs Up
Does the "trigger" have to be used to move over to "sport" and command shift up and down Question

Thanks

Last edited by EYorkshire on 18th Jan 2011 2:05 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #88541 18th Jan 2011 2:02 pm
alex_pescaru

Nope. Just for "R" and "P".
No need when moving from "N" to "D" and back or "Sport" or command shift.

Post #88543 18th Jan 2011 2:02 pm
EYorkshire

All clear now, hopefully picking it up next week and want to know the "ins and outs" beforehand, thanks again.

Post #88544 18th Jan 2011 2:09 pm
alex_pescaru

Beware that you must press the brake when shifting from N to D, but only when standing still.
When in motion, you can freely move from N to D and back without pressing the brake. Not that you'll need to...
You'll get used to it... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #88545 18th Jan 2011 2:24 pm
Sam

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Alex said

No. Theoretically just a little increase in the auto transmission oil temperature, comparing with its temperature in "N". But way, waaaay lower than the temperature of the transmission oil when moving.

As I understand it, our Aisin Box 'normally' has the facility to automatically switch to neutral at idle in order to improve fuel consumption. I also understand that LR decided not to activate this facility so I nearly always flick into N when approaching obstructions although whether it is worth it would be hard to prove

Post #88546 18th Jan 2011 2:27 pm
alex_pescaru

I belive only the later boxes (MY2011) have this option...
Is anybody here with a MY2011 autobox that could "feel it" and confirm it?

Post #88552 18th Jan 2011 2:44 pm
andyfr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

If you check my last post here: http://www.freel2.com/forum/post85662.html#85662 Andyfr

Post #88562 18th Jan 2011 4:41 pm
alex_pescaru

So you don't feel it or do you?
For example when stationary and at idle with Drive selected and after a while you select Neutral, there is any change in RPM (small increase) or any engine (un)load feeling?

Post #88567 18th Jan 2011 5:18 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Flicking them into neutral from drive everytime you stop can be detrimental to the life of the selectors, I used to do it until a mechanic friend told me off! Now I only put it into neutral when I know I'll be sat there for a couple of minutes. At traffic lights I just the handbrake and leave it in drive.

Also, if you get into the habit of just keeping your foot on the footbrake at traffic lights...you'll be buying a lot of brake lights! Our D3 ones were blowing every 10-15000 miles because someone did just that!

Sorry to contradict you Alex, but putting it in 'Park' whilst moving at any speed will engage the locking pin and cause damage, although there is a ratchet system in place to not cause damage if done accidently at low speeds. Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #88573 18th Jan 2011 6:47 pm
andyfr

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

As this is my first Freelander auto it's not possible for me to make a comparison with any pre MY2011 autos and the only other autos I have driven recently have been rented when we have been in the US.

I don't notice any difference in the RPM changing from N to D. When holding on the brake you can still feel an engine load and when releasing the brake it starts to creep immediately. I have noticed that there is an almost imperceptible feeling through the transmission of a change in the engine load. It happens like this: Holding on the brake, release and it starts to creep and almost immediately the transmission goes to full load.

I can only assume that this is what they mean when they say "While not actually selecting neutral, drive load is substantially reduced to save fuel and improve refinement".

Hope this makes sense. Andyfr

Post #88575 18th Jan 2011 6:48 pm
alex_pescaru

andyfr wrote:
I have noticed that there is an almost imperceptible feeling through the transmission of a change in the engine load. It happens like this: Holding on the brake, release and it starts to creep and almost immediately the transmission goes to full load.

Yep, this is what they mean. So indeed, they improved the box.

Big Dave wrote:
there is a ratchet system in place to not cause damage if done accidently at low speeds.

Could be, I didn't see one of these boxes opened (yet), but I know that once, in a hurry, I've shifted it into Park when the car was moving at the speed given by an idle engine which is in Drive. I believe it's about 5-6 km/h.
The car was violently stopped with a very BIG thump and a short tyre squeal.
Maybe the system you are talking about didn't work or it isn't present, but either way, from that moment I am trying to pay attention when I am engaging Park...

Post #88583 18th Jan 2011 7:51 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I now move to "N" when expected to be stationary for more than 10 seconds.
I do this because I get peed off stting behind stationary vehicles where the driver has their foot on the brake permanent.
No too bad normally, but as more extra large 4x4 vehicles are now on the road with auto boxes the high intesity lighting of "PermaBrake" drivers can cause problems.
Last week I was behind a new Lexus 4x4, the rear light came on at the Traffic Lights (I thought that Blackpool Illuminations had finished)(would not have been suprised if these high intensity lamps were over the legal limit)..
These Rear Brake lights were at Eye level, bear in mind I sitting quite high up in a FLR2, when it was time to drive off I was suffering from temporary bright light blindness. It was extremely dangerous and the reason I now put into Neutral at every opportunity, please take into account other road users. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #88592 18th Jan 2011 9:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>