« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > WHICH TYRES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black
WHICH TYRES

My tyres are coming up for replacement and I was going to replace them with what I have as present, Continental M&S. However I am tempted by Goodyear Wranglers. Can any one tell me which is the better tyre, I only drive on road but do tow a caravan so will the load index matter as both seem to come in 104 and 108, I have 108 at present. Which is better in winter on snow and Ice, does one last better than the other.
The continentals seem easier to obtain and seem a bit cheaper.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Post #114462 23rd Sep 2011 8:20 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

My conti's seem to wear out on the out edge, this I am told is due to not having much tread in the first place

Found them fine in snow, unless there was layer of compacted snow which had turned to ice, but I think GY would have been the same on there Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #114463 23rd Sep 2011 8:24 am
sweetfreedom

Personally I found the Wranglers to be c**p especially in the snow and very wet conditions....wierd as that's what they are meant for! This gets even worse when they are at half tread

Coopers have proved excellent for us in all conditions and they wear very well. All sorts of roadtests out there but remember a very good one on a disco some time ago. Search engine should find it

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #114465 23rd Sep 2011 8:46 am
sweetfreedom

ps...yes i know these are on our jeep (sorry) but haven't a pic of the FL tyres! FL2 GS Auto '58reg

Post #114466 23rd Sep 2011 8:47 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Goodyear Wranglers are superb. Many members confirm this where some on here criticise the continentals on snow. In snow, the majority seem to favour the wranglers over the continentals.

My FL2 has had them from new on 17" wheels. Very smooth and quiet on the road, excellent grip in the wet and I have done some hefty off roading which proved no problem.

In last years snow, they were unstoppable. See some of the snow pics in my gallery.
Thumbs Up LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #114524 23rd Sep 2011 7:10 pm
landy19840

Israel 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

My wranglers were crap too!

Too soft and wore quick
Understeered in the wet
Aquaplaned like a boat
Snow and ice was also crap also off road as they did not self clear when full off mud or snow so ended up like slicks

General grabber AT's are the future, cheaper too and loom coOl Cool

That is all

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #114527 23rd Sep 2011 7:18 pm
ad210358

England 

I had 18" Good Year Wranglers on my first Freely and I would have achieved 40k on them if I hadn't sold it, traded it in with 35k on it and still 3 and 4 mm remaining. Currently running Conti's and I will be shocked if I get 25k out of them, will need to move the front n/s as the shoulder is wearing, didn't happen with the Wranglers and the Conti's were not a patch on the Wranglers in the snow. Just my findings I expect others to find the opposite.

Post #114530 23rd Sep 2011 7:30 pm
julytourist

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Rimini Red

It's Tyre Wars Folks! I have no recommendations, I had Continentals on my first FR2 which were ok at 24k when i traded it in tho the dealer said they would renew. Current FR2 has Pirrelli's, seem OK so far at 9.5k . JT Upgraded to an ex demo, 7 mth old, Rimini Red/Ebony Napoli Auto HSE on 28th Jan 2011, added roof rails, mudflaps and side strips.
Gone - A great 57 Plate, Auto SE, Bought Feb 2009, Roof Rails and Mudflaps added on purchase. Blue colour, anything but drug dealer black.....

Post #114536 23rd Sep 2011 8:31 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

pirrelli's performed well in the snow, but then I didnt try other brands in bad weather so not sure if they could have been bettered or not.

just fitted Falken tyres to my pickup,more of a proper off road tyre than the original bridgstones and the difference off road is chalk and cheese At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #114540 23rd Sep 2011 8:58 pm
alex_pescaru

julytourist wrote:
It's Tyre Wars Folks!

What colour is the best one for the tires? Black, White, Green??? Rolling with laughter

Post #114542 23rd Sep 2011 9:15 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I'm going for Michelin Lattitude Cross 108H before the winter starts. See Tyretest.com
They are very different to the Lattitude Tour which is a pure road tyre. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #114549 23rd Sep 2011 9:48 pm
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Guys Im a bit of a novice when it comes to AT tyres so I need a bit of a steer (pardon the pun). Do AT tyres affect road performance (adversly), do they increase road noise and do they, most importantly lead to a decrease in fuel economy?

Are they really worth buying if 99% of your journeys will be on tarmac?

Post #114550 23rd Sep 2011 9:50 pm
gilfishman

Wales 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

had contis on my first freelander 2, only got 14000miles,it was a s spec 16 inch wheels,had a gs with the 17s goodyear wrangler and found them much better,done 20000miles and got 3.5mm on front and a tad more on the backs,i do very little motorway miles,goodyear wranglers are much better Thumbs Up Current: Freelander 2 GS, Orkney Grey, Factory fit privacy glass, design pack and Clearview pack. Almond Leather ,rear spoiler,rear mudflaps.my13.

Gone:Freelander 2, GS, "61"

Gone: Freelander 2, GS.e, "59"

Gone: Freelander 2, S, "08"

Post #114551 23rd Sep 2011 9:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

apc67 wrote:
Guys Im a bit of a novice when it comes to AT tyres so I need a bit of a steer (pardon the pun). Do AT tyres affect road performance (adversly), do they increase road noise and do they, most importantly lead to a decrease in fuel economy?

Are they really worth buying if 99% of your journeys will be on tarmac?

As you will discover when you take up your 1/2 day Experience offer the LRE cars run on standard road tyres all year round. On my Experience course in an SD4 in December 2010 the car was fitted with standard Pirelli's and the ground was frozen with some snow and the car coped admirably with the conditions - as it also did in some wet and muddy conditions more recently.

If you're doing 99% on road then I see no point in buying AT tyres - if you want a second set of tyres you might be better looking at winter ones - there is already much comment on that elsewhere on the forum.

Post #114554 23rd Sep 2011 9:59 pm
MihaiB

Romania 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Just a question on the General Grabber tires - could the owners please explain what size are they, if they are model AT or AT2 and how they cope with snow conditions?

Thanks a lot!

Post #114567 23rd Sep 2011 11:04 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>