Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Problems with Hill Descent unexpectedly engaging at speed?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Arcane1

Problems with Hill Descent unexpectedly engaging at speed?

Hi all. New to this forum, and haven't read all posts, but has anyone heard of a problem where the Hill dexcent control comes on unexpectedly at high speed? the following URL :

http://www.whatcustomercare.co.uk/?m=200901

This article poses the question that the Freelander 2 is a death trap!

We are close to buying a new model, but this sounds worrying to say the least?

Anyone know anything about it?

Post #54856 12th Jan 2010 1:51 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

certainly this is the first time I've seen or heard of this problem ??

HDC is not a new thing and was on my FL1 in 1998 and I've never heard of any problems with the system.

sounds like this guy ( and his wife ) have been very unlucky, but I would say that Landrover and the dealer should have been more sympathetic to his problems.

Iain

ps I certainly wouldn't let this put you off buying a FL2, they are great cars.

Last edited by iain cooper on 12th Jan 2010 9:24 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #54863 12th Jan 2010 8:59 am
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

We have read that dreadful story earlier, and I wonder what the outcome was. Of course similar problems can happen with any (bad) vehicle and is not LR related. Several other makes are prone to serious breakdown problems without naming the worst ones. However, be well assured this must be a very rare and serious problem and hopefully only a one off. LR should have been more helpful with sorting out, but if Marshalls of Bedford were worth their reputation, they would also have been more diligent in sorting the problem out with LR.

Most forum members have not had any problems with their Freelys, although several have had a few minor ones that often get talked more about then they are worth. However I along with many have not had any problems at all in the 2+ years our Freely has been owned Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54864 12th Jan 2010 9:02 am
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

AndyC wrote:
Most forum members have not had any problems with their Freelys,

Me and npinks better keep quiet then!!! Whistle

Post #54901 12th Jan 2010 12:48 pm
AndyC

shilen wrote:
AndyC wrote:
Most forum members have not had any problems with their Freelys...........,

Me and npinks better keep quiet then!!! Whistle

I also wrote "...........although several have had a few minor ones that often get talked more about then they are worth" ......So it is better to keep things in prospective Thumbs Up

Most of us have NOT had any problems Thumbs Up 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #54902 12th Jan 2010 12:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

The guys a disgruntled purchaser, buy the sounds of it he has had a serious fault and makes a website to bitch about it.......

The HDC should deactivate even if selected at speeds over 30mph (iirc) so something was wrong, but I think he is more unhappy that LR and the dealer didn't do what HE wanted, even though they look to have fixed the problem Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #54903 12th Jan 2010 1:01 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I have some sympathy for the guy - its the worst feeling in the world when you fear for driving the car incase the fault reoccurs! But it has to be put into perspective - NOBODY else on this forum has experienced this problem.

Would have expected Marshalls and LR to have looked after him better, although from my own experiences of both Marshalls and LR, perhaps not!

Post #54905 12th Jan 2010 1:12 pm
AndyC

I hear what shilen and Nick say, but we don’t want to put off a potential new FL2 owner (Arcane1) by one very unfortunate and disgruntled owner. We do not know the whole background to the problem, only as it is written, which does sound almost like a horror story Shocked .

However, Arcane1 was asking if anybody else had heard of this problem as he/she didn’t want to end up in a similar situation. The answer to this question is simply NO, it has to be a very rare problem, but I do also feel a bit concerned that LR didn’t want to know and Marshalls couldn’t fix the problem Shocked That kind of nonchalance could affect any of us and LR had better get their act together or they will simply loose customers. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.

Post #54906 12th Jan 2010 1:25 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

As with all these things, there are 2 sides to it. I'm sure that Land Rover and marshalls will give a very different account of the fault. And generally the truth is somewhere between the 2.

Post #54910 12th Jan 2010 1:46 pm
adm

tell me how did the driver know that the hdc kicked in doing 60/70mph would you have time to look ? or have i missed something

Post #54917 12th Jan 2010 2:31 pm
ad210358

England 

Strangely enough I was also thinking how did he know it was HDC as mine says HDC not available in anyting above 1st gear and will flash the warning light and say so on the display. Could it be just the engine cut out and all the panel warning lights came on like they do when you put the ignition on.
Strangely though mine has started to just cut out just as though you have turned the ignition off then on again, it goes in Thursday but I expect it to be one of those things they cannot find the fault on as it does it with out warning once or twice a day.

This will be the second time it has been back in for warranty work other than a service which in 23000 miles and nearly three years I feel is fine, so much for Freelander so called unreliability. p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #54949 12th Jan 2010 6:25 pm
On-board

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I personally wouldnt believe any one account of a story that none of us have even heard of it. If there was such an issue why havent they been on here talking as we all know its the quickest way to get a problem sorted. Thumbs Up

I cant believe people still believe everything that they read on the internet. These days it wouldnt surprise me if it was just bad propoganda from an existing company/manufacturer in competition.

Post #54966 12th Jan 2010 7:34 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Or a farmer sabotaging Freely's that have towbars and arn't Black Shocked

Post #54970 12th Jan 2010 7:52 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I haven't heard of that problem before.
Sounds like the ignition power system is cutting out, not good.

Reading through the article it would seem that the wife is the common factor throughout when he has a problem, maybe get rid of her and the car will be fine, just a thought. Twisted Evil 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #54971 12th Jan 2010 7:57 pm
ad210358

England 

mcphersonstrut wrote:
Or a farmer sabotaging Freely's that have towbars and arn't Black Shocked

Or sabotaging Freelys so he has a clean run for Best Car 2011 mind you he did not result to these tactics in the past and won it three years on the bounce. Rolling Eyes p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #54973 12th Jan 2010 8:08 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>