Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Nervous Apprehension!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
rchrdleigh

England 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Baltic Blue

I must have been lucky as Land Rover Customer Service covered the full cost of the replacement steering arm and power steering pump and filter on my original Freelander when it developed the well documented whine. It was 3 months out of warranty when the whine became really bad, Customer Services originally offered 33%, upped it to 66% and finally agreed on 100% thanks to pressure from the Dealer and possibly something to do with having a new Freelander on order.

Post #111713 31st Aug 2011 8:13 pm
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand

I bought a new FL2 earlier this year and since March have done nearly 9000 miles without any problems or parts falling of it.

In terms of build quality, I previously had a BMW and before that a Mercedes and Audi (all purchased from new) and I can honestly say that the FL2 is on par with all of them, plus, the ride quality of the FL2 when compared against the BMW is far superior.

Post #111718 31st Aug 2011 8:46 pm
The Valeter

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Santorini Black

When I first had mine I had a few issues but they were all because the dealer/LR themselves couldn't be bothered or didn't know the technical bumf about the car/product.
It turned out there were only a couple of very minor tweeks to sort.

I eventually began to enjoy the car as the initial haggling between the dealer & LR put me off.

I have to add though the LandRover customer service department are absolutely dreadfull, you get a different story every time you call them! (Past) Freelander 2 HSE 2010 MY In Rimini Red.
(Past) RR Evoque Dynamic Lux Si4 In Firenze Red.
(Past) RR Evouque Pure Tech in Barollo Black with bespoke Firenze Red colour coding.
(Present) Freelander Metropolis 2015 MY In Santorini Black with Ivory Premium Leather.

Post #111726 31st Aug 2011 9:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

cyberil
I would like to sell, but what stops me is the fact that I paid nearly 28K and its never worked from new properly, If I sell it its worth about 15 K and I have only had 20k miles out of it and continued serious hassle.
Never been able to have a moments enjoyment out of it and even had to buy the Citreon just to tide me over in the winter as its never coped with starting in the winter !
In 35 years of motoring the only other car I have ever owned that was as near to this one for reliability was a 1974 Hillman Imp one of the last and worst.
what i would really like is the car 100% sorted so i can enjoy it

Post #111748 31st Aug 2011 11:55 pm
egipp

Australia 2009 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Santorini Black

Well, I know this isn't strictly relevant to the UK, and I certainly don't wish to tempt providence, but my Freelander has done 68000kms - 42000 miles - in 2½ years, many on rough gravel roads, forest and fire tracks, and the odd creek crossing, with out a fault. I've also found my dealership very good, albeit a long way away. So far I would rate it better than any of my previous cars (which included new Volvo and Mercedes), with the exception of a Subaru 3.0 Outback, which had no mechanical issues over 160,000kms, but was not as comfortable or as versatile. It was very reliable over it's life with me but, since comfort scores pretty high with me, the Freelander takes the biscuit. I wouldn't hesitate to replace it with another Freelander, but I suspect this one will out last me!
Good Luck and enjoy your choice.

Post #111750 1st Sep 2011 3:26 am
Simon67

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

Hi Oldgeezer

Took my views off the latest Which survey, also I had a Laguna once and it was so bad Renault Customer Service used to pay half of every service - car was awful but redeemed by after sales - unlike Land Rover Big Cry
Back on topic the Disco 3 came third in the Which survey, so good news for LR reliability on the new cars.

------------

Japanese cars make their owners happy but some French cars drive them to distraction, says Which? Car.

Five of the top 10 cars in the Which? Car owners’ satisfaction table are Japanese: the current Mazda MX-5; Mazda MX-5; Honda Jazz; Toyota Yaris Verso; and Honda Jazz.

At the top of the table is the Audi A5 with an owner satisfaction score of 97 per cent. Owners love its looks and performance despite it being the least dependable new sports / coupé with a Which? reliability score of 76 per cent (the joint least-reliable new car overall along with the current Ford Galaxy).

Other German cars also perform well in the satisfaction stakes with another two in the top 10: the Porsche Boxster and the Audi TT. The Czech Skoda Superb lives up to its name in second place with an impressive 96 per cent, while the popular Italian Fiat 500 is tenth with 94 per cent.

Down at the bottom of the table, six of the least popular 10 cars are French, including four Renaults, a Peugeot and a Citroën.

Bottom of the pile is the Renault Espace with 57 per cent. Owners of other Renaults aren’t terribly impressed either. The Mégane is described as “a pile of rubbish”; the Laguna as “an impulse buy… regretted ever since”; and the Espace as a “fantastic car, if only it would work for longer than a month at a time.”

Which? Car editor, Richard Headland, says: “It’s no surprise that owners love their Japanese cars. They’re reliable, reasonably priced and cheap to run. But down in the Which? Car hall of shame, owners of some French cars seem to be less than enamoured with their motors.

“It’s the honeymoon period for the relatively new Audi A5 – smitten owners may soon fall out of love with it if reliability doesn’t improve.”

Post #111756 1st Sep 2011 8:55 am
geoffk

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

my 57 reg has so far cost me for problems £0.00 it has cost lr about £500 as they had to replace my alloy wheels due to peeling around the valve(watch for this as 3 of my wheels had it.)i have had a great land rover experience.

Post #111813 1st Sep 2011 7:43 pm
zone30

Belgium 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Santorini Black

Maybe there should be a poll added to this thread...

Post #111854 2nd Sep 2011 9:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tigger

United Kingdom 
Re: Nervous Apprehension!!

apc67 wrote:
I am due to collect my first Freelander on Saturday, SD4 HSE in Orkney grey with a couple of extras on it. I have always been used to the reliability and build quality of German cars but as i now need to commute to work I need someting that will get me there if the winters become bad on a regular basis.

Having spent a long time reading posts on this forum I cant help feeling nervous about what I have let myself in for. There are so many negative posts regarding poor build quality, poor reliability and bad customer care - surely the Freelander caqnt be as bad as the picture that is being painted. Usually I am dead excited about picking up a new car however this time i find myself questioning whether I have made the right choice.

Please, if you have a freelander that you love and one that is a good car, put some plus points on here to reassure this old soldier that he hasnt made the wrong choice.

Thanks

Collection day looks like tomorrow.

please let us know how you're getting on.

PS: Another 700 miles aqdded to mine this week and the only news to report is that the fuel economy is getting better. Nothing is going wrong.

Post #111860 2nd Sep 2011 9:36 am
Tigger

United Kingdom 

oldgeezer wrote:
cyberil
I would like to sell, but what stops me is the fact that I paid nearly 28K and its never worked from new properly, If I sell it its worth about 15 K and I have only had 20k miles out of it and continued serious hassle.
Never been able to have a moments enjoyment out of it and even had to buy the Citreon just to tide me over in the winter as its never coped with starting in the winter !
In 35 years of motoring the only other car I have ever owned that was as near to this one for reliability was a 1974 Hillman Imp one of the last and worst.
what i would really like is the car 100% sorted so i can enjoy it

Interesting. While my own Freelander doesn't give me any cause for concern, the most unreliable car that I have ever owned was a brand new, top of the range, Citroen C5. Despite having a fairly good experience with a series of 3 used Citroen XM's, the C5 was a mechanical disaster, only matched for ineptitude by Citroen Customer Service. After having spent 5 months of its first 12 months in the dealer's workshop, it was finally rejected after it broke down within 1/2 a mile of having had its 20,000 mile service and the Citroen garage said that "fixing it was not a priority" only after having kept the car for a further 3 days and charged me £120 for the loan car that they "gave" to me Evil or Very Mad

Not only is the Freelander a paragon of reliability in comparison, but customer service is amongst the best I've ever experienced and the car is built to a much higher standard than the cheap and nasty C5 ever was! To give you an example, the seats were so cheaply made (even on the top of the range "Exclusive SE" version) that I could feel the basic frame of the seat while I was sitting on it, after 20,000 miles I could see the outline of the seat frame as an impression on the leather. Nasty...

I shall never buy another Citroen.

Post #111967 3rd Sep 2011 8:18 am
2herring

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Thumbs Up @Tigger

3000 miles in first five weeks and just loving it. Had Audis and BM's before and I am really rather enjoying the experience. Audis are just so cold and clinical these days and the character of the FL2 is a welcome relief.

One or two minor niggles about the car but nothing to get too stressed over:

Don't like the tinny sounding tailgate when it closes and the doors shutting lack that hewn from granite sound as well.
Lack of interior light coming on when opening the rear doors is irritating now the dark mornings are with us.
Sometimes the bluetooth doesn't disconnect when terminating an incoming call.
Standard headlights on dipped beam are rubbish and Nightbreaker bulbs on order.
Key fob is as slippery as a bar of soap and just flies out of your hand if you grip it too tight.
Sat nav is a bit clunky but works ok.

As you can see hardly the end of the world and a struggle to think of six negatives. On the positive side it is comfortable, smooth, quiet, handsome especially in black with almond, quick, economical for its size and power, awesome stereo, well balanced passenger and boot space and even the dealer has been great.

Massive Thumbs Up

Post #111993 3rd Sep 2011 2:29 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey
owning a landrover

hi owning any landrover is like beeing married !

1 give it a lot of tlc

2 abuse it now and again( take it off road)

3 allways let the wife drive it and make sure its low on diesel so she has to put some in

4 keep it clean well serviced with good quality oil and it will give you years of good use Thumbs Up

5 but the best thing is it can:t talk back to you

hope you enjoy your new car Smile rainy-city
xs

Post #111998 3rd Sep 2011 4:38 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

So, what do you think apc67 has done?

Has he gone through with the Freelander purchase or has he wimped out and gone and bought himself a nice VW Polo instead? Or has he gone and bought himself an equally nice Octavia Estate and membership of the bowls club? Wink

Only time will tell....

Post #112004 3rd Sep 2011 5:28 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

cyberil wrote:
oldgeezer

You should sell the car like I'm doing in a few weeks, once my new car arrives, as I can't be bothered with problem cars...

2012 Jeep Wrangler JK on order...probably not the most reliable car...but more fun than a Landie and it's a convertible!!!

Good luck...with LR customer service you just have to wear them down...I would have ordered another LR if it wasn't for their arrogant and obnoxious attitude (I hope someone from LR is reading this post)

Paul

That'll be Jeep with the 60,000 mile warranty, rather than unlimited mileage Land Rover one then? Wink I'd better not mention Which's recent verdict on Jeep's Vs Land Rover's customer satisfaction at this late stage then Rolling Eyes

Post #112006 3rd Sep 2011 5:53 pm
apc67

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Guys collection of my Freelander delayed by a couple of days due to an admin cock up by the dealer. As soon as I have it i will post my thoughts Thumbs Up

Post #112037 3rd Sep 2011 10:44 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 7 <1234567>