« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > DPF's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
DPF's

Extract from the Daily Telegraphs motoring section, a reader wrote in and I quote....
''My persistence has paid off, BMW has called to admit that it's latest diesel engines are unsuitable for repeated short runs from cold. It's advice was to make at least one continuous 50 mile journey each month to ensure the efficiency of the Diesel Particulate Filter. Consequently, we have to create extra emissions for the sake of something that was supposed to reduce them'' (GR, Warrington)
And the response from the Telegraphs motoring journalist (a well respected guy) was .....
''Jaguar, the VW group and BMW have all come clean on this, but the EU is to blame for imposing the rules that make cars ever more complex''
Quote ends.

So you have a piece of kit on a new car that makes the gas from the exhaust less nasty but to keep it working efficiently, you have to drive lots more miles therefore creating more pollution Shocked Banging Head

Post #83985 11th Dec 2010 9:41 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

We had the same problem with our previous fire trucks.
Once a week we would have to take them on a twenty mile trip down the nearest motorway in order to get the exhaust hot enough to burn off the particles in the filter. If we didn't the trucks would become sluggish as hell and almost useless.
The new trucks 'Volvo' now use an additive called ad-blue "basically cow Censored " Shocked that is injected into the exhaust manifold in order to make for cleaner emissions. Trouble is it's highly corrosive and costs a fortune.

Post #83993 11th Dec 2010 10:44 pm
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Ye this has been going on for ages, I've been banging my head against a wall about it for a long time. Our FL doesn't have a DPF though so 2 fingers up to the eco-mentalists that complain about a puff of black smoke every so often.

Just a short sighted idea to please everyone in the short term, like EGR valves.

With a DPF on your car isn't as efficient anyway, or produces as much power as it can without it, so it's doesn't actually do anything beneficial...

I better stop now before I get really mad... Shocked Banging Head Big Cry Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #84006 12th Dec 2010 12:08 am
Natwest

United Kingdom 

All UK+EU spec 11MY will have DPFs Big Cry

Post #84007 12th Dec 2010 12:19 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1