Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Discovery Sport in the flesh!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ian

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand
Discovery Sport in the flesh!

Went to The Burghley horse trials last weekend. One Land Rover dealer had two Discovery Sports available for the public to view. Around 10 people at a time were allowed in the showroom to look at the new cars. Very impressed with the cars, although the styling has moved away from the current FL2 I liked the shape and think it looks better in the flesh. The interior as you would expect is a big step up from the FL2, very nice!
Must admit I was quite surprised to see the cars as i thought they were not being shown until the Paris motor show.

Took these iPhone pictures as proof of visit!

2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4.Zermatt Silver,Privacy glass,Bi-Xenon headlights........Gone!

2011 SD4 HSE Ipanema Sand, Privacy Glass, Windsor Leather.

Post #234664 13th Sep 2014 11:21 am
EYorkshire

Looks to be shorter in height from the FL2, am I right ?

Post #234668 13th Sep 2014 11:58 am
Ian

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Yes not as high as the fl2.
Dimensions compared are:

FL2 DS

Height: 1740 1724
Length: 4500 4599
Width:(mirrors out) 2195 2173
Width:(mirrors in) ? 2062

Sorry can not find fl2 dimension for width with mirrors in. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4.Zermatt Silver,Privacy glass,Bi-Xenon headlights........Gone!

2011 SD4 HSE Ipanema Sand, Privacy Glass, Windsor Leather.

Post #234672 13th Sep 2014 12:59 pm
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

When I first saw those pictures I thought you were joking and it was an Evoque. How disappointing, land rover only seem to have one design now.

Post #234677 13th Sep 2014 1:29 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

I really like the look of it now that I can distinguish it from the concept vehicle material, which looked a bit odd, especially from the rear doors back. It has increased in size to step up to almost identical dimensions as Q5 and X3, and the price has also jumped accordingly. Shocked

I don't need the extra seats and the added dimensions: 100mm longer and about 60 mm wider with the mirrors retracted, it will make it that bit tighter a squeeze in the works car park. Sad (also couldn't find a spec for width but FL2 page on LR site mentions losing 19cm with mirrors retracted)

I will have to revisit closer to my next vehicle change as with it being released without the new engine the timing might not be right for new car/engine/price. They may also have announced a smaller vehicle with 5 seats by that time.

Post #234678 13th Sep 2014 2:16 pm
frawdder

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

"How disappointing, land rover only seem to have one design now"
Was thinking the same Wiz. Now that they look the same and are priced the same what is there to distinguish the Discovery from the Range Rover. Confused

Post #234681 13th Sep 2014 2:22 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Well if we now have Sporty and Scary (full fat) Discovery...will we get baby Discovery next or ginger? I reckon posh will stick with an Evoque

LR will definitely need a Disco Yeti to fill below the sporty ( the yeti might fit in my garage...sporty won't)

Post #234682 13th Sep 2014 2:22 pm
vodkachaser

United Kingdom 

Been to the boat show today and they had 2 DS here. I quite like the look but to sit in the DS feels lower, so the command driving position seems to have gone and your feet feel much more horizontal in front of you father than the sitting up position in the FL2.

The second row of seats sliding back and forth gives a lot of legroom, and e panoramic sunroof is amazing. The HSE lux on show doesn't have the upper dash cover in leather which is disappointing instead sits covered in a sort of rubberised leather, which is ok but on a 42k car?

The centre console, in pictures looks quite nice but in real life lacks detail, it's flat and shiny so I did feel that to be a bit poor, but on the up side generally speaking the interior feels upmarket, airy, and the seats are much better.. We drove down here in. Jaguar XK and the seats where very similar and defiantly more comfortable than the current slightly flat ones in the FL, the seat squab angle also feels better when raised up and down. I've always thought on the FL it seems to tilting a strange way.

The back set of seats although tight on space I did find quite comfortable in a cosy kind of way.

So all in all, I'd say even though the Sales guy was a snobby arse I'd buy one..... And when my PCP is up in 2016 I will be making a purchase! FL2 HSE SD4, black, privacy glass, spoiler, 19' diamond cut alloys.

Post #234753 14th Sep 2014 12:29 am
jimmyb

France 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Fuji White

I guess its down to personal taste - I like the evoque, RR sport styling, but evoque is too small for me and RR sport probably too big and expensive - so the new DS could fit the bill! I will hang on for the new engines though.

If the boot is a bit lower it would be a good thing as well - I keep an old FL1 for the dogs as they cannot get into the back of the FL2 easily.

Post #234972 16th Sep 2014 3:12 pm
milky400

I was in Cardiff about a month or so ago and saw a what I thought was an evoque wrapped in black and white squares, couldn't quite work it out assumed I was a long wheel base version. But it would appear to be this. I must say I liked it a lot, and the interior is nearer range rover than land rover which I also liked. If only I had 32k down the back of the sofa....

Post #234984 16th Sep 2014 5:23 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1